Wyoming acquires from the portal...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:59 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:31 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:21 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:50 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:35 am
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:44 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:31 pm Nice break down. My only gripe is we did throw Neyor the ball. A lot.
Only in your head did this happen. He didn't even have enough catches to qualify for NCAA rankings. He had 44 receptions for the year. That's a little more than 3/game. That's a lot? McBride at csewe had 90 catches.

That's some gripe. We threw to an open receiver who never dropped the ball. You have to be the most butthurt baby on this board.
WTF are you talking about? Neyor was 54th in receiving yards - 878, 7th in TDs - 12. What kind of numbers did you expect him to have? That's a damn good season. We got him the ball plenty and he was targeted far and away the most on the team. His role would continue to grow and things were really beginning to click with Williams and a nice complementary piece was beginning to emerge in Cobbs. You're stupid
You have to realize Neyor can get paid good money at a P5 school also, doesn’t matter if he will get some more catches at Wyoming. He can probably get as many catches at a P5 school and be getting paid for it. At Wyoming he isn’t getting paid anything. Even if He got some endorsement deal to be paid in Wyoming it wouldn’t be near as much as he could make at a big P5 school. If you are a broke college kid or your family needs money, those dollar bills from bigger programs will get you to those schools.
What is preventing Wyoming from paying players?
Remember, schools can't pay the players, that hasn't changed. But outside businesses can. One example is every offensive lineman at Texas will get $50K a year.
There's not a lot of businesses in Laramie/Wyoming that will give 1 player that kind of money let alone 16 players. Like Oredigger said, it's an economic chasm between the haves and have nots.
So what is to keep me a "booster" for example, putting money towards Laramie GM to sponsor players? As a booster I want players sponsored by local business's and donate that money to those business's. Or I could create my own "shell" business specifically to sponsor players...How can the NCAA actually ever enforce how the money is received? There are so many ways one could approach this.
Go for it. There is nothing stopping you. You could also just create an LLC whose business is to ‘sell’ autographed footballs and pay players a big amount of money to sign a few footballs.

But the big programs have about 100 times as many people/fans/alums/boosters who could do the same thing. Wyoming is nowhere in the stratosphere of available NIL dollars. Any arms race would simply be a waste of someone’s money and have negligible impact.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 50 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:03 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:35 am
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:44 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:31 pm Nice break down. My only gripe is we did throw Neyor the ball. A lot.
Only in your head did this happen. He didn't even have enough catches to qualify for NCAA rankings. He had 44 receptions for the year. That's a little more than 3/game. That's a lot? McBride at csewe had 90 catches.

That's some gripe. We threw to an open receiver who never dropped the ball. You have to be the most butthurt baby on this board.
WTF are you talking about? Neyor was 54th in receiving yards - 878, 7th in TDs - 12. What kind of numbers did you expect him to have? That's a damn good season. We got him the ball plenty and he was targeted far and away the most on the team. His role would continue to grow and things were really beginning to click with Williams and a nice complementary piece was beginning to emerge in Cobbs. You're stupid
Wyoming was 118th out of 130 teams in yards per game passing. Neyor was 150th in number of catches. So I guess he had a good year for being on one of the worst passing teams in the country. And no, that's not a damn good season. No receiver who actually wants to catch passes instead of run block is coming to Wyoming. The thought that Williams was clicking with anyone in the passing game is hilarious. He could hit Neyor when he was wide open on a deep route and that's about it. But you're the same moron who bitched about Vigen for years. I'd think someone as wrong about everything as you are would think a little before you post this nonsense.

Was Neyor underutilized in this offense? I'd say yes. He had 85 total targets for the year, 6.5/game. That's low for a #1 pass catcher. He was the target on about 30% of the passes we threw, which is about average for a WR1. So, he was the feature WR in an offense that didn't throw the ball very much. What really stands out is his 20 ypc average, good for 8th in the nation. 12 of his 44 catches ended in a TD, so they could have gone for more yards in the open field.

Not to rehash this too much, but we only threw the ball 35% of the time. 7.1 yards per pass attempt, and 5.1 yards per rush. Given those numbers, I really wish a bunch of those 1st or 2nd down rushes would have been pass attempts.

But, the biggest problem was QB play. We're 114th in the country for completion percentage at 55% (Chambers was 50%, Williams was 60%). In an offense like we try to run, that's too low. Williams was better than Chambers, but not good enough. Since our QBs didn't pass well, we didn't throw the ball enough. Since we didn't throw the ball enough, Neyor didn't have enough targets and he'll go someplace else. Unless our QB play improves, Joshua Cobbs will have the same problem next year.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:59 am So what is to keep me a "booster" for example, putting money towards Laramie GM to sponsor players? As a booster I want players sponsored by local business's and donate that money to those business's. Or I could create my own "shell" business specifically to sponsor players...How can the NCAA actually ever enforce how the money is received? There are so many ways one could approach this.
Just like Oredigger said, go for it. It's not illegal nor is it against the rules now.

In fact, what you are describing is exactly what happened at Texas. A group of alumni got together and formed a non-profit that gives the players $50K each and in return can use their NIL to raise money for whatever charity they choose.

The only real rule is that it can't come from the school, that's it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

You'd think there would be some news soon. I'd imagine most of these portal guys want to be on a team for spring ball.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I would imagine Bohl is being very careful about the character of who he goes after in the portal.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:58 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:59 am So what is to keep me a "booster" for example, putting money towards Laramie GM to sponsor players? As a booster I want players sponsored by local business's and donate that money to those business's. Or I could create my own "shell" business specifically to sponsor players...How can the NCAA actually ever enforce how the money is received? There are so many ways one could approach this.
Just like Oredigger said, go for it. It's not illegal nor is it against the rules now.

In fact, what you are describing is exactly what happened at Texas. A group of alumni got together and formed a non-profit that gives the players $50K each and in return can use their NIL to raise money for whatever charity they choose.

The only real rule is that it can't come from the school, that's it.
Interesting. So instead of donations to facility improvements let's pool it all together for NIL. What would entice a player more: Cold hard cash or nicer facilities? Obviously many are not going to compete with the spending power of P5 teams... however we only really need to be better at it than our conference mates.
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Any word on Connor Bazelak? I only watched him a few times, and he was pretty decent in those games. I don't think the bigger programs will be beating down his door--maybe?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:58 am Any word on Connor Bazelak? I only watched him a few times, and he was pretty decent in those games. I don't think the bigger programs will be beating down his door--maybe?
Conner critique:
Dhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rockmnation.co ... or-bazelak
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TrackPoke wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:37 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:58 am Any word on Connor Bazelak? I only watched him a few times, and he was pretty decent in those games. I don't think the bigger programs will be beating down his door--maybe?
Conner critique:
Yeah, I don't think he was going to win the starting job there this spring. With that said, some of those issues might be resolved in the G5 ranks (he'll also be surrounded by G5 talent, so who knows). The scary thing with him is, if he is having some of those issues, WYO probably isn't a good fit. One thing we know is that we can't fix QBs. We need something pretty close ready to play.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:45 pm
TrackPoke wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:37 pm
Conner critique:
Yeah, I don't think he was going to win the starting job there this spring. With that said, some of those issues might be resolved in the G5 ranks (he'll also be surrounded by G5 talent, so who knows). The scary thing with him is, if he is having some of those issues, WYO probably isn't a good fit. One thing we know is that we can't fix QBs. We need something pretty close ready to play.
True. The fans are restless. Bohl can’t afford a project, we need a QB that can make a difference right now.

That being said, Connor would be an upgrade from what we’ve had lately.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

A transfer portal name to watch - John Plumlee, QB Ole Miss. Watching him, he seems to be a guy that would fit a Bohl offense with good wheels and a good arm. The only difference from a typical Bohl QB is his size (6’0).
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

BYU has 2 QBs in the portal
W-Y, Until I Die!
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

If any of my businesses were in Wyoming I’d happily pay a student athlete to do a few social media posts and sign some autographs for me to give away to customers.

Even though I couldn’t care less about Montana sports I’ve considered doing this for my company in the bitterroot.
52-56
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

It's Year 9, should be interesting
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Connor commits to Indiana. In all honesty, and I know it sounds homerish, but I'd think WYO would be a better option if he was offered.

Yes, Indiana is in the B10 BUT they are bottom barrel. Relative to conference mates, he's going to be playing on a drastically less tale than team which will make it hard to show his skills off (if he still has hopes for a shot at the nfl).

Yes, our O and O strategy is awful, he would still have the opportunity to throw 20 +/-5 times a game against marginal defenses and with teammates that are relatively on par with conference peers. He'd also have a strong run game to support him.

I have no idea if Bohl even pursued him; i'm more making a comment that the situation at WYO for a transfer QB should be more appealing than low level P5.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I think we’d see more passes if we had a qb that could make them.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming with its first transfer portal acquisition acquires Evan Svoboda - QB out of Snow College. Very lightly recruited prospect that appears to have the physical abilities but didn’t start playing QB until he was a junior in high school. I believe he was a total of 6-12 passing for a mere 28 yards, no touchdowns and an interception in his time at Snow.

This guy makes Josh Allen look polished when he arrived but we will see how it shakes out.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Nice. a lightly recruited juco backup. Just what the doctor ordered. Maybe we really are going to run the wishbone this year
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:28 pm Nice. a lightly recruited juco backup. Just what the doctor ordered. Maybe we really are going to run the wishbone this year
But he is built like Josh Allen and Bohl was the only one that knew Josh had real potential...ergo, he will be the next Josh Allen. C'mon Lander. ;)
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Let's be real here; we're never going to get a proven QB transfer with how allergic to the forward pass this offense is.