Wyoming acquires from the portal...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

More than half (600+) FBS scholarship players remain in the portal without a home. Surprisingly, Wyoming only has one player (Blankenbaker) that remains in the portal.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 am More than half (600+) FBS scholarship players remain in the portal without a home. Surprisingly, Wyoming only has one player (Blankenbaker) that remains in the portal.
Maybe Blankenbaker could come back? But I don't think Bohl would allow it.

And classes start today. Hope we hear about a couple more defensive additions.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 am More than half (600+) FBS scholarship players remain in the portal without a home. Surprisingly, Wyoming only has one player (Blankenbaker) that remains in the portal.

It sounded like Blankenbaker's decision was related to grad school. He was the only player to depart prior to the bowl game. I agree with you that today would be the day we would hear of any additional portal transfers.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:40 am

It sounded like Blankenbaker's decision was related to grad school. He was the only player to depart prior to the bowl game. I agree with you that today would be the day we would hear of any additional portal transfers.
There are usually a few days after school starts where you can be admitted and enroll. There's rumors another CB is committed from the portal we just haven't heard the name yet.

Pokes certainly need to bring in a few more players but I think they will wait until after spring ball and fill their holes from there. After spring ball you are going to see a lot of portal activity for guys who want to play.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wicks wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:35 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:40 am

There are usually a few days after school starts where you can be admitted and enroll. There's rumors another CB is committed from the portal we just haven't heard the name yet.

Pokes certainly need to bring in a few more players but I think they will wait until after spring ball and fill their holes from there. After spring ball you are going to see a lot of portal activity for guys who want to play.
That seems reasonable but my question is what would unsigned portal players being doing during the spring semester?? Paying their own way somewhere? Working? Living with the parents? Partying?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Eric Abojei publicly announces today that he will be returning to the cowboys…

So now we are in a place that current players need to reaffirm their commitment on a yearly basis?Dont get me wrong, I like Abojei…but this is silly.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:53 pm Eric Abojei publicly announces today that he will be returning to the cowboys…

So now we are in a place that current players need to reaffirm their commitment on a yearly basis?Dont get me wrong, I like Abojei…but this is silly.
I think he made the announcement because he's a senior. He could have left the program but decided to exercise his super senior year due to covid. We are going to have to deal with this for a while unfortunately. Makes scholarship decisions and roster construction difficult.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Wicks wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:58 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:53 pm Eric Abojei publicly announces today that he will be returning to the cowboys…

I think he made the announcement because he's a senior. He could have left the program but decided to exercise his super senior year due to covid. We are going to have to deal with this for a while unfortunately. Makes scholarship decisions and roster construction difficult.
This makes a lot of sense. I laughed at it when I first saw it but now I see why these guys might do it. I feel like that would be a conversation between player and coach though considering Eric isn't sniffing a pro career or an upward transfer.