What is Bohl's fault and what is not.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

303cowboy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:53 pm
Pretty funny. I remember some cats saying the best thing that could happen would Bohl to retire and Vigen to take HC gig. Might not have been far off
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

It's a good question. I hope the attrition is mostly Bohl's fault because it's fixable. If this transfer deal becomes consistent every year, I'm out. I might be anyway. I've said all along that I understand it but it won't be better for the game.

Bohl's strength was stability. That is gone.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:26 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:21 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:14 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:00 pm I am hearing rumors of complete loss of the locker room. Players not responding to Bohl and his tactics anymore. Many wanted to quit mid season
Source? I guess anything is possible...I just don't see that kind of body language with this team.
It was pretty evident in the NM and Hawaii game.
I guess there are a crap load of players with eligibility remaining that graduated that will not be back and they made it known, but Bohl still only honored the super seniors at the Hawaii game for senior day. Guess this pissed off a lot of them. Just one example of things that went down l.
hmm...I guess I'm the naive one...I just can't see that stuff being that big of a deal. Maybe that is the kind of stuff that the kids play for nowadays. I fully realize I'm the one whose out of touch.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:57 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:26 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:21 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:14 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:00 pm I am hearing rumors of complete loss of the locker room. Players not responding to Bohl and his tactics anymore. Many wanted to quit mid season
Source? I guess anything is possible...I just don't see that kind of body language with this team.
It was pretty evident in the NM and Hawaii game.
I guess there are a crap load of players with eligibility remaining that graduated that will not be back and they made it known, but Bohl still only honored the super seniors at the Hawaii game for senior day. Guess this pissed off a lot of them. Just one example of things that went down l.
hmm...I guess I'm the naive one...I just can't see that stuff being that big of a deal. Maybe that is the kind of stuff that the kids play for nowadays. I fully realize I'm the one whose out of touch.
Someone on the other Wyoming board said they sat with a bunch of the players parents at the bowl game and the main talking point was a bunch of guys transferring out. Another poster said he knows someone that works on the sidelines of the games and the culture is really bad at Wyoming now cause of Bohl.

If true Bohl needs to leave.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

Stability and consistency vs innovation and change. Lots of new stuff in college football in the last couple of years. Players have more options, so if they don't like things they can move. NIL is evolving daily. Covid. The Autonomous 5. Social media. And those are just the off-field issues.

Bohl and his staff have struggled to keep up with a lot of the changes. Not surprising when you look back and see that he's been successful in the past largely based on a system that values consistency.

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus for the what has happened over the last couple of years, but we need to catch up quickly.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Other side: Levi was jaded when he got yanked and replaced with Chambers. My bet is he was gone since then. He looked good in bowl game but is replaceable. It'll need interesting to see where he ends up.
Nayor hurts and dang sure could have been recruited away.

Before going all head first into Bohl created a bad culture, maybe a group of players were cancerous and things are getting out of hand. Maybe Bohl needs to start yanking some schollies.

Not saying that's the case but is a possibility.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
springs_poke
Buckaroo

Entitled Wyoming fans. Not his fault.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

springs_poke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:12 pm Entitled Wyoming fans. Not his fault.
I truly want to understand this entitled Wyoming fan thing and it's meaning and relevancy to this post, cuz i know I'd like to see a MWC Championship within the next 20 years, call me crazy, it's been quite awhile since we've seen one afterall
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:28 am
springs_poke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:12 pm Entitled Wyoming fans. Not his fault.
I truly want to understand this entitled Wyoming fan thing and it's meaning and relevancy to this post, cuz i know I'd like to see a MWC Championship within the next 20 years, call me crazy, it's been quite awhile since we've seen one afterall
Last outright championship: 1988
Lost one championship, period: 1993 (we had to share that one with Fresno State and......*COUGH* BYU *COUGH* :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:41 am
Last outright championship: 1988
Lost one championship, period: 1993 (we had to share that one with Fresno State and......*COUGH* BYU *COUGH* :roll:
The classic "entitled" fan example would have to be the post Solich Nebraska fan. I don't think any Wyoming fan could ever fall into that category ... we have never been good enough. So what does an entitled Wyoming fan look like? I guess it would be unrealistic expectations coupled with an attitude of finger pointing...or some sort of refusal to acknowledge the difficulty of success in college sports for the non-power schools.

I think it's not just fans that can be entitled....it is also entire athletic programs. The difference is something like....

Entitled = "(Insert WYO HC here) has every advantage and there is just no reason that he has not built a BSU level program, he's a bum/shyster so let's fire him and get the next guy who will obviously be the savior." Then do the same thing when success eludes the new guy.

Not Entitled = "(Insert WYO HC here) has been unable to address the inherent competitive inequalities that are present at UW, in the MWC, and in the NCAA football landscape in a way that maximizes the chances for success at UW. It is time to move on and maybe to change how we do things since just changing coaches and doing a different flavor of the same thing will bring the same results."

Notice that in both cases the coach gets fired but in the not entitled version I feel like there is an acknowledgement of the challenge coupled with an understanding that we (Wyoming fans/administration) are part of the solution/problem.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Idiocy or naivety?
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

Interesting points, but entitlement sounds like its being portrayed as a bad and gloomy thing. I don't have to like what I see with my alma mater's team everyday, every game. I don't think I'm being unrealistic afterall that's what I thought being a fan was, excited, nervous, empathetic, energetic, hopeful...u name it I'm all that. The world is truly a different place and changing all the time, and it's seeping into the sporting world which is too bad as i used to watch to try to escape the world's issues for a bit, anymore not so much. I've always had issues when others question fandom of fellow fans.....u wanna know attend a game with me/us then maybe you'll understand, but entitled nope I'd rather be despicable as most UW fans used to be. Merry Christmas all or is that questionable too.

Go Pokes as always
307bball
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:19 am Interesting points, but entitlement sounds like its being portrayed as a bad and gloomy thing. I don't have to like what I see with my alma mater's team everyday, every game. I don't think I'm being unrealistic afterall that's what I thought being a fan was, excited, nervous, empathetic, energetic, hopeful...u name it I'm all that. The world is truly a different place and changing all the time, and it's seeping into the sporting world which is too bad as i used to watch to try to escape the world's issues for a bit, anymore not so much. I've always had issues when others question fandom of fellow fans.....u wanna know attend a game with me/us then maybe you'll understand, but entitled nope I'd rather be despicable as most UW fans used to be. Merry Christmas all or is that questionable too.

Go Pokes as always
Indeed ... Go Pokes.

I don't think it is just as simple as unrealistically high expectations. That is why I wrote what I did about the inability to provide some context along with the expectations. I don't think it's a gloomy thing either...I'm very down on UW athletics ability to be any good anytime soon..but I don't feel like the UW fan base is "owed" a championship. Championships are earned and the bar to achieve them in modern college athletics feels like it is getting further and further out of our reach.

Oh...also...as somebody who has had his "fandom" questioned..you are absolutely right about having issues with that. That is the last refuge of those unable to articulate disagreement.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It doesn't matter at this point what Bohl has done right or wrong. The changing landscape of college football will not allow a coach like Bohl to thrive any longer. He is too late in his career to change his style and honestly why would he want to at this point? I respect coach Bohl and personally love his philosophy and wish college football was like it used to be. This could not have been predicated when Coach Bohl was hired and I was fully in favor of the hire. Power football, team philosophy, no names on jerseys or alternate jerseys. That's the kind of football I played growing up but today's players are just not receptive to that. Sadly it's time to move on and if the administration does not act now Wyoming football is doomed for the foreseeable future.
I'm good for 3!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Everyone blaming NIL and saying that there's no way we can hold onto our guys anymore in this era. What other MW schools or G5 schools are facing this level of mass exodus? This is not normal, it's not due to NIL or being located in Laramie or any other structural disadvantage between G5 and P5. Something went deeply wrong in the locker room this season. We may never find out what it was, but I just can't buy that Bohl and the staff deserve no blame, either for creating this situation or allowing it to get to this point.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:55 pm Everyone blaming NIL and saying that there's no way we can hold onto our guys anymore in this era. What other MW schools or G5 schools are facing this level of mass exodus? This is not normal, it's not due to NIL or being located in Laramie or any other structural disadvantage between G5 and P5. Something went deeply wrong in the locker room this season. We may never find out what it was, but I just can't buy that Bohl and the staff deserve no blame, either for creating this situation or allowing it to get to this point.
+1
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:55 pm or allowing it to get to this point.
Unpopular opinion, but maybe he isn't allowing it which is why we are seeing attrition. I'm not convicting Bohl or players unless more info comes out. It is entirely possible that a group of players are a bunch of entitled pansies that didn't like the covid situation and blamed it on Wyoming. It's entirely possible that Bohl and staff are a bunch of assholes.

It's a fool's errand to convict on assumptions and speculation.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:55 pm Everyone blaming NIL and saying that there's no way we can hold onto our guys anymore in this era. What other MW schools or G5 schools are facing this level of mass exodus? This is not normal, it's not due to NIL or being located in Laramie or any other structural disadvantage between G5 and P5. Something went deeply wrong in the locker room this season. We may never find out what it was, but I just can't buy that Bohl and the staff deserve no blame, either for creating this situation or allowing it to get to this point.
Nobody is saying that Craig Bohl deserves no blame (At least I don't think that is the case). I believe the statement "this is not normal" is just flat out wrong. This is the new normal. If players aren't happy with any aspect of thier situation (playing time, playing style, proximity to home, NIL opportunities) they will leave. Wyoming will suffer from this disproportionally even to other conference schools. No player questions Nick Saban or Jim Harbaugh... Those coaches can be as big of a jerk as they need/want to be in order to win. If a player is upset about it they are welcome to leave since they can get a better player immediately.

Bohl's fault lies in holding certain opinions about how college football is best played and coached that runs afoul of certain, shall we say, more sensitive mindsets that seen to be having a moment.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Hawaii and Nevada. Huge rift between staff and players in Honolulu and Nevada basically had their entire program poached by CSU.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 1 time

We've never seen a MWC Championship.