What is Bohl's fault and what is not.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:48 am Excluding someone like Neyor, a lot of these guys transferring aren't going to be hot commodities on the transfer market. In fact, many may be walk-ons at best. The assumption is that Bohl created a toxic environment or is too old to relate to kids these days.
Another angle to this is that you'll have a certain number of kids who want to transfer regardless. The new portal rules allow them to more freely explore options similar to their student peers. Best numbers I could find said 10-20% of undergrads transfer at least once. It would be interesting to see the attrition rate of the general student population at UW. We are assuming all these kids love football and are looking at it through a football lens. Maybe several realized they aren't super stars and decided they don't care if they play football. If they can find a lower less competitive situation, they'll do it. If not, they'll go closer to home and pay for school. Maybe the transfer rules are bringing transfer rates in line with the general student population.
Not Bohl's fault.
As you note, some of these guys are getting terrible advice. There is a glut of FBS players without a corresponding number of open spots because of the extra year.

For the life of me, I can’t make sense of Valladay’s portal entry. As a RB, he either has to enter the draft or go somewhere where he will get a lot of carries…Wyoming makes the most sense for a guy like him. I just find that decision baffling and perhaps he ultimately does enter the NFL draft and is just testing the waters to see who may have interest in him. I do hope it works out for him because he bled brown and gold.

Levi Williams on the other hand is leaving a starting QB role on an FBS team to what? I’m not rooting against him but it could work out very poorly for him. Sure his feelings may have been hurt and maybe he was treated unfairly but in life you have to let bygones be bygones.

Hearn - what was he thinking? Wyoming gave him a scholarship when he was a walk -on at ASU and when no one else would. To me, he will be lucky to land a scholarship at this point. Perhaps he is simply moving on with his life.

Coldon - dude is talented and will land somewhere but staying at Wyoming still probably made as much sense. That’s a guy I enjoyed watching play ever since I saw him in his first spring game.

Weber - ‘gorams’ on a Twitter post after receiving a CSU offer…he as well as anyone should know that is a direct shot at Wyoming. Can’t say I’m hoping it works out for him with that kind of disregard for the program that gave him an opportunity.

Neyor - I wish all the best to him. He is making a business decision that every single one of us would have made too. He has a realistic shot of making $1 million next year in NIL money as the big boys compete for him (which is more money than any of us on here make). It is sour grapes to wish him ill will for making a very rational decision. In his recent Twitter post, he is working out in a Wyoming state flag shirt. Hope he keeps that shirt and continues to wear it.

Jones and Murray - their decisions are equally perplexing. They may struggle to find a scholarship out there. Maybe they are just moving on with their lives, who knows. I’d be surprised if either lands an FBS offer.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:38 pm
WYCowboy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:13 pm The ncaa is an absolute total joke. They have completely ruined College Sports.
I'm curious what you feel is the NCAA's part in this...NIL was forced upon them, they had no choice. Transfer rule has always been like this except for football and basketball, just making it even across the board.

Not saying that the NCAA doesn't share the blame, but there are many agents at work here.
There used to be an NCAA rule (probably many years ago) that said when any college athlete accepted payment of any kind related to his college athletics made him a professional athlete and no longer eligible to participate in any NCAA athletics. Maybe NCAA doesn't have that authority anymore.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:48 am Excluding someone like Neyor, a lot of these guys transferring aren't going to be hot commodities on the transfer market. In fact, many may be walk-ons at best. The assumption is that Bohl created a toxic environment or is too old to relate to kids these days.
Another angle to this is that you'll have a certain number of kids who want to transfer regardless. The new portal rules allow them to more freely explore options similar to their student peers. Best numbers I could find said 10-20% of undergrads transfer at least once. It would be interesting to see the attrition rate of the general student population at UW. We are assuming all these kids love football and are looking at it through a football lens. Maybe several realized they aren't super stars and decided they don't care if they play football. If they can find a lower less competitive situation, they'll do it. If not, they'll go closer to home and pay for school. Maybe the transfer rules are bringing transfer rates in line with the general student population.
Not Bohl's fault.
As you note, some of these guys are getting terrible advice. There is a glut of FBS players without a corresponding number of open spots because of the extra year.

For the life of me, I can’t make sense of Valladay’s portal entry. As a RB, he either has to enter the draft or go somewhere where he will get a lot of carries…Wyoming makes the most sense for a guy like him. I just find that decision baffling and perhaps he ultimately does enter the NFL draft and is just testing the waters to see who may have interest in him. I do hope it works out for him because he bled brown and gold.

Levi Williams on the other hand is leaving a starting QB role on an FBS team to what? I’m not rooting against him but it could work out very poorly for him. Sure his feelings may have been hurt and maybe he was treated unfairly but in life you have to let bygones be bygones.

Hearn - what was he thinking? Wyoming gave him a scholarship when he was a walk -on at ASU and when no one else would. To me, he will be lucky to land a scholarship at this point. Perhaps he is simply moving on with his life.

Coldon - dude is talented and will land somewhere but staying at Wyoming still probably made as much sense. That’s a guy I enjoyed watching play ever since I saw him in his first spring game.

Weber - ‘gorams’ on a Twitter post after receiving a CSU offer…he as well as anyone should know that is a direct shot at Wyoming. Can’t say I’m hoping it works out for him with that kind of disregard for the program that gave him an opportunity.

Neyor - I wish all the best to him. He is making a business decision that every single one of us would have made too. He has a realistic shot of making $1 million next year in NIL money as the big boys compete for him (which is more money than any of us on here make). It is sour grapes to wish him ill will for making a very rational decision. In his recent Twitter post, he is working out in a Wyoming state flag shirt. Hope he keeps that shirt and continues to wear it.

Jones and Murray - their decisions are equally perplexing. They may struggle to find a scholarship out there. Maybe they are just moving on with their lives, who knows. I’d be surprised if either lands an FBS offer.
I think you pretty much nailed where these guys end up/why they transferred with the exception of X. I think X's carries would have been numbered; Swen is going to the feature back next year (whether X was here or not), add in Dawian and DQ and the RB core is still stacked.

Are they getting terrible advice or is the culture within the program that bad? I think Bohl has lost the team (especially with Kaligas gone) and these players would rather move on in a downward fashion then stay and deal with whatever is going on in Laramie.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WYCowboy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:39 am
WYCowboy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:13 pm The ncaa is an absolute total joke. They have completely ruined College Sports.
I'm curious what you feel is the NCAA's part in this...NIL was forced upon them, they had no choice. Transfer rule has always been like this except for football and basketball, just making it even across the board.

Not saying that the NCAA doesn't share the blame, but there are many agents at work here.
There used to be an NCAA rule (probably many years ago) that said when any college athlete accepted payment of any kind related to his college athletics made him a professional athlete and no longer eligible to participate in any NCAA athletics. Maybe NCAA doesn't have that authority anymore.
Gotcha. I think that is what NIL changed. When state governments started passing these laws, the NCAA knew they had to change their rules. Some states allowing NIL while other schools didn't (because of NCAA) would have created an even bigger issue.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:39 pm
WYCowboy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:39 am

Gotcha. I think that is what NIL changed. When state governments started passing these laws, the NCAA knew they had to change their rules. Some states allowing NIL while other schools didn't (because of NCAA) would have created an even bigger issue.
The actual nail in the coffin was NCAA v. Alston where the US Supreme Court recently found unanimously that the NCAA profiting off of college athletes’ image and likeness while restricting athletes from profiting violated federal antitrust law. At that point, state laws really didn’t factor in and the NCAA had no choice because the way it was operating was found to violate anti-trust law and opened the NCAA up to billions in penalties without change.

Ed O’Bannon, a relatively little known former
UCLA basketball player, was really the impetus for the antitrust litigation which has led us to where we are today.

Legally, NIL is the right result. Operationally, it is tough on a program like Wyoming and transforms college athletics.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

PokeNer wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:04 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am
Not Bohl's fault.

I think you pretty much nailed where these guys end up/why they transferred with the exception of X. I think X's carries would have been numbered; Swen is going to the feature back next year (whether X was here or not), add in Dawian and DQ and the RB core is still stacked.

Are they getting terrible advice or is the culture within the program that bad? I think Bohl has lost the team (especially with Kaligas gone) and these players would rather move on in a downward fashion then stay and deal with whatever is going on in Laramie.
Coldon taking a visit to Oklahoma. Darn - others saw his talent too.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Finally safe to say that Bohl appears willing to adapt to the new college landscape and to use the portal.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:38 pm Finally safe to say that Bohl appears willing to adapt to the new college landscape and to use the portal.
Bohl realizes he need to do this if he wants to be here past next year
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I was dead wrong about Hearn. He is going to UCLA!! I didn’t think he was that good so I am personally surprised.

Transfers to P5s:
Valladay
Neyor
Coldon
Hearn

Going to G5:
Jones
Williams

Going to FCS:
Chambers
Murray

Unsigned:
Blankenbaker
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I am surprised about a few. Wonder how much the “P5” guys will actually play.

Also, pretty safe to say we underachieved last year
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Weber “g5” as well
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:13 pm Weber “g5” as well
Yes. Must have forgot about him after his gorams tweet. Plus Western Kentucky is largely out of
Mind.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Hearn was good enough to start games in the pac—12 under old rules. Coldon will play on Sundays

. All schools will reload with players that are D1 ready, it’s going to come down to scheme over the next 3-4 years while schools figure poop out. Our D scheme is fine, I expect 5-8 year win next year. Which is poop.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:27 pm Hearn was good enough to start games in the pac—12 under old rules. Coldon will play on Sundays

. All schools will reload with players that are D1 ready, it’s going to come down to scheme over the next 3-4 years while schools figure Sh#t out. Our D scheme is fine, I expect 5-8 year win next year. Which is Sh#t.
I would personally be impressed with more than 3 wins next year.

I do agree that Coldon has a shot at the NFL. I’ve believed that since I saw him as a freshman in the spring game. Has a nose for the football.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Boho didn't mince words when talking about QB play last year at today's signing day press conference

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:10 pm Boho didn't mince words when talking about QB play last year at today's signing day press conference

I was pretty shocked that this came from Bohl. That was quite a dig at Williams and Chambers. Not that it wasn't true but Bohl has been pretty tight lipped about those kind of things and usually took the high road. My guess is that Williams and Chambers hang that quote up on his wall.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:10 pm Boho didn't mince words when talking about QB play last year at today's signing day press conference

Uh, didn't Bohl recruit them? He didn't know they couldn't throw the ball? For a guy who gets paid a poop load of money, maybe he should pay a little closer attention BEFORE he signs them...
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

Well - that is quite the bad look for 'ol Bohly. Feeling some heat maybe? Eerily similar to the end of the Glenn tenure.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I'm done with Bohl. What a f-word dna riflehead. I'm embarrassed that he's our HC at this point.

Who stuck with Chambers when it was painfully obvious Williams was better?

Who hires the QB coaches that are supposed to make these QBs better?

Whose system and coaching produced a 56% completion rate from JA.

This f-word knows he's done. He knows he made a ton of promises he won't be able to keep and now he's desperately blaming others for HIS failures as a HC. I can just imagine how the locker room feels about this.

f-word Bohl. And f-word Burman for giving him an extension. Linder is about the only thing he's done right lately.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:55 am Well - that is quite the bad look for 'ol Bohly. Feeling some heat maybe? Eerily similar to the end of the Glenn tenure.
I think he's definitely feeling the heat. If we underperform as badly as we did last year this will be his last year. His mouth wrote a lot of checks his ass couldn't cash last season, and there were a LOT of angry emails sent Burman's way.