Sheep fire their coach

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:04 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:32 am
Subcanis wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:26 am I think that’s a pretty solid hire. Sucks for Nevada.
I guess. I think it's underwhelming. Norvell got lucky with getting a great QB in Strong IMO. Let's see how well it works for him without a NFL caliber QB. I have my doubts.
I am actually surprised CSU is making what seems to be a rational hire. Since Lubick, CSU has went the SEC and East Coast route which has not turned out well for them partly due to the lack of local ties and unfamiliarity with the MWC. I think Norvell has done a pretty good job on a small budget at Nevada taking them to 4 straight bowl games.

I don't really buy into the "Norvell got lucky with getting a great QB" argument...because Norvell recruited Strong when he was off the radar of most programs (in fact I don't think he even played his senior year of HS). The big (if not the biggest) part of coaching at the college level is recruiting and Norvell has done a pretty damn good job bringing talent into Reno.
How about a NFL caliber QB AND WR AND TE?

MWC teams don't see that accumulation of talent very often, if ever. And he went 8-4. As I said, I have my doubts.
Wyoming had an NFL QB, WR, TE, RB and Center on offense and a future NFL LB, 2 safeties, CB turned WR and DE on defense... that team went 8-6.
I suppose that says that neither Bohl and Norvell are especially great coaches.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am Man, I wonder if he foresees some roster issues? More money but if he had a good outlook for success at NV, you'd think that's the fastest way to a P5 job. I think a reasonable hire for csu but sure didn't see that coming
He'll probably lure most of his best players to CSU with him. That seems to be the trend nowadays
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

303cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:28 pm
Oh man, Prime Time in Fort Collins would have been HILARIOUS. Dude would have flamed out faster than a match in the Wyoming wind.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:45 pm
303cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:28 pm
Oh man, Prime Time in Fort Collins would have been HILARIOUS. Dude would have flamed out faster than a match in the Wyoming wind.
I agree. Prime Time in the Rockies woulda been a horrible disaster in Fort Fart and yet...lots of fun for Wyoming fans!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:33 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am Man, I wonder if he foresees some roster issues? More money but if he had a good outlook for success at NV, you'd think that's the fastest way to a P5 job. I think a reasonable hire for csu but sure didn't see that coming
He'll probably lure most of his best players to CSU with him. That seems to be the trend nowadays
Good point. I didn't think about the transfer rules. Too lazy to look it up but I wonder if csu pays more for athlete stipends?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.