Bowl Projections

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I looked at 3 sites with bowl projections - all apparently updated in the last few hours:

New Mexico Bowl: Wyo vs Western Kentucky
New Mexico Bowl: Wyo vs UTEP
Hawaii Bowl: Wyo vs Tulsa

No mention of Univ. of Hawaii in any of these.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:44 pm I looked at 3 sites with bowl projections - all apparently updated in the last few hours:

Hawaii only qualifies for a bowl game if there aren’t enough bowl eligible teams.
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

At 6-6, with 6 losses out of the last 8 games, and a season ending clubbing (at home) by a very mediocre Hawaii team - why is ANY bowl even considering UW?
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Fans will still travel to a game and that's why those projections still exist. Maybe the team that throttled USU/CSU/Ball State shows up? Maybe the team that played yesterday shows up? Take your chances!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I love to travel regardless but the Hawaii bowl, um....No thanks in Covid ridden Hawaii plus it ain't the cheapest
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

stymeman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:53 pm I love to travel regardless but the Hawaii bowl, um....No thanks in Covid ridden Hawaii plus it ain't the cheapest
Plus the game will played on their practice field. Aloha Stadium can't be used at all anymore. It got condemned!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

wwplayer wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:22 pm At 6-6, with 6 losses out of the last 8 games, and a season ending clubbing (at home) by a very mediocre Hawaii team - why is ANY bowl even considering UW?
Because of the amount of bowls and bowl eligible teams.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:26 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:44 pm I looked at 3 sites with bowl projections - all apparently updated in the last few hours:

Hawaii only qualifies for a bowl game if there aren’t enough bowl eligible teams.
Exactly. Since Hawaii plays 13 games every year, they have to win 7 to be bowl eligible.

They are in the same boat as San Jose, Texas, Illinois and several others; only eligible if spots don't fill.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

We’re going to luck into a bowl. We’d better show up and represent well
wwplayer
Buckaroo

Not saying there aren't (too many) bowls out there that need a team (with fans) - any team (with fans) to fill a hole. Just saying a 6-6 team that lost 6 out of their last 8, and got clobbered at home to end the season doesn't deserve to even be considered.....
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Only one bowl eligible team will be left out.

82 slots for 83 teams.

I'd be O.K. if we're the odd man out.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I'm all for the disgust of how our season ended up, I however am not ok with condemning the kids for putting together another "bowl qualifying" season. Did we end up anywhere close to where we wanted heck no, but dang bowl eligible 5 out of 6 years is something we dreamed of 2000 to 2015. I am ok with being left home, but I am not going to advocate for it. Get to the bowl and win and some of the sour grapes go away. Also for recruits, going to bowl games means something, you wanna be good, go to bowl games and gain interest.

Now what I have found are many projections and none leave us at home. Here's what I've found;

ESPN:
Bonagura: Frisco Bowl vs North Texas
Schlabach: Hawaii Bowl vs Liberty

MW Wire:
Frisco Bowl vs UTEP

Pro Football Network:
Hawaii Bowl vs Tulsa

247 Sports:
New Mexico Bowl vs UTEP

Athlon:
New Mexico Bowl vs UTEP

Sports Illustrated:
New Mexico Bowl vs Western Kentucky

CBS Sports:
Hawaii Bowl vs Tulsa

There's more but you get the point.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

You guys are living in the past where bowl games were somewhat merit based. They are now a way to fill a tv slot with the universities largely paying for it.

Earned, deserved, etc. mostly has nothing to do with it for the bowls the MWC qualifies for (sans an obvious situation or two).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

Western Kentucky 8-4
Liberty 7-5
UTEP 7-5
Tulsa 6-6

1) The MWC bowl tie-ins are complete garbage.
2) What should I really expect when my team goes 6-6.
3) I can't stand what the bowl season has become.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

cowpoke pride wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:55 pm 3) I can't stand what the bowl season has become.
Here's another reason to hate it...

13 of the fourteen SEC teams are going to be in a bowl. Only one saying home...Vanderbilt. That alone should oughta tell ya there's WAY too many bowls.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

BOYCOTT THE BOHL!
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:10 pm BOYCOTT THE BOHL!
Funny right there, but the ONLY positive is the extra practice and more TV revenue but thats it!!

I would think another New Mexico Bowl is in the cards, with UTEP, which would be ok for the most part....stay tuned, if I'll go....hmmmmm
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

As was stated earlier, I have real doubts as to whether another 15 practices with the gaggle of Fraggles we have as coaches will be a net positive or a net negative. Wyoming's performances after BYE weeks suggest that my skepticism surrounding the value of extra practice is justified. This said, we do have a lot of starting spots to fill next year...any additional reps might help. To me, the lower tier bowls are the functional equivalent of the CBI in basketball: mid-tier participation trophies.

Bohl still needs to go.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 104 times

I'm all for the kids getting more practices and another game to wash the taste of this disaster of a season out of their mouths. That being said, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to go to whatever bowl game they end up in. I'd rather sit at home than watch a team poop the bed a-la New Mexico Bowl 2011.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:10 am As was stated earlier, I have real doubts as to whether another 15 practices with the gaggle of Fraggles we have as coaches will be a net positive or a net negative. Wyoming's performances after BYE weeks suggest that my skepticism surrounding the value of extra practice is justified. This said, we do have a lot of starting spots to fill next year...any additional reps might help. To me, the lower tier bowls are the functional equivalent of the CBI in basketball: mid-tier participation trophies.

Bohl still needs to go.
CBI comparison is absolutely correct.