So let’s hope the coach’s realize !!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

The pass sets up the run for this team. I so glad they decided to start thrown the ball on first downs. Say what you want that changed everything, they could not settle in on what play was come next. You could see we just did what we wanted all game long..
Frustrates me to no end that this game plan was not used for the donkeys, or Fresno State. No excuse that we lost the 4 games.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Completely agree. We MUST have a viable passing attack. The whole offense falls apart without the passing game.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

During the first 4 games I was actually charting pass vs run and on what down it was happening....I have not continued but I don't think that the rates have changed much. It just seems like Williams is clicking in w/his receivers. Ether way...whether it's maturation or playcalling change...success in the passing game is not really optional.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I'm not sold that passing made the line's job so much easier that they finally played really well.

I think the line matched up well against usu and were able to dominate which opened everything else up. Levi had a great game as did receivers. The passing game helped for sure but I think the main reason was line play. The passing game took advantage of the 1 on 1s and I could have totally missed it but it seemed to me their D strategy was still heavily favoring stopping the run. Either way, great game.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

It’s not passing on 1st down that opened the run, it’s completing passes on first down that opened the run. No sense passing if we can’t complete passes. Good thing they did this weekend.
W-Y, Until I Die!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm It’s not passing on 1st down that opened the run, it’s completing passes on first down that opened the run. No sense passing if we can’t complete passes. Good thing they did this weekend.
💯% agree!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

phxpoke wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:58 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm It’s not passing on 1st down that opened the run, it’s completing passes on first down that opened the run. No sense passing if we can’t complete passes. Good thing they did this weekend.
💯% agree!
Haha, chicken and egg I know, but imo the completions started with the line actually creating throwing lanes and giving routes time. Even without throwing a pass, the POKES would have run through usu that day. No way to know obviously and not that important but I think the line play was the biggest difference and opened everything else up.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BeachPoke wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am The pass sets up the run for this team. I so glad they decided to start thrown the ball on first downs. Say what you want that changed everything, they could not settle in on what play was come next. You could see we just did what we wanted all game long..
Frustrates me to no end that this game plan was not used for the donkeys, or Fresno State. No excuse that we lost the 4 games.
Please list every team you have coached through a playoff format to a National Championship. Include the year, playoff opponents, and the score of each game. How many national championships have you won, total, as a head coach?

If that is too much to list, then at least give the information for e ery time you have done so within the past decade.

Since we are talking about philosophy, schemes, and strategy and not just recruiting talent, FCS is exactly as relevant as FBC.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:33 am I'm not sold that passing made the line's job so much easier that they finally played really well.

I think the line matched up well against usu and were able to dominate which opened everything else up. Levi had a great game as did receivers. The passing game helped for sure but I think the main reason was line play. The passing game took advantage of the 1 on 1s and I could have totally missed it but it seemed to me their D strategy was still heavily favoring stopping the run. Either way, great game.
This sounds much more like the season I have watched than the argument over calling pass plays on first down. It is amazing what happens when the O-Line does kill drives with penalties.