I've never been this right or this miserable

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Well...I hate being right about this....I've been sounding the alarm about the cyclical nature of Wyoming's football program for some time now. We are in the "decline" phase of program cycle right now. I personally don't think it's going to get better but I also don't think changing coaches gets us any better. I suppose we could sign up for another coach and have the cycle repeat. I really thought that Bohl had raised the floor of the program ... like as bad as he could be...his teams would always be just above the middle of the MWC. Not sure I believe that anymore.

My question to this board: Do you believe that the guy in the head coach seat is the primary cause of the inability to be an upper tier MWC team?

My answer is no...I mean..we could always have the wrong guy I suppose, but both Glenn and Bohl seemed like such sure fits here ... and Glenn ultimately failed and Bohl is in the process of failing. I have to believe there are other things at play here. There are nifty explanations for a season or three...but we are working on over 20 years of just below medocre football.

I guess this could be the silver lining in the whole conference realignment fiasco.....all of the programs that are any good will eventually be out of our conference and off of our schedule. Maybe at that point we can create a kiddy-pool dynasty.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We’re a basketball school folks. Time to nut up and accept it. That being said, we have the infrastructure to be successful in football. The right coach can win here.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:06 pm We’re a basketball school folks. Time to nut up and accept it. That being said, we have the infrastructure to be successful in football. The right coach can win here.
I know it is tough to prove a negative ... so my opinion that you can't win at Wyoming is not only unpopular...it is also tough to prove. That being said, every season that goes by...every coach that comes through, lends credence that you cannot, in fact win here.

FWIW..."winning" for the purposes of this conversation is a couple multi year stretches of being in the top three of the conference along with a title in any given 10 year stretch.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I've been out of the state of Wyoming for right at 8 years now. I'm slowly losing my affection for UW sports as a whole. If Bohl is not fired after this season I may be done entirely. You don't beat two of the better MAC teams and then clunk against New Mexico and get beat at your own game plan.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

aranderson wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:48 pm I've been out of the state of Wyoming for right at 8 years now. I'm slowly losing my affection for UW sports as a whole. If Bohl is not fired after this season I may be done entirely. You don't beat two of the better MAC teams and then clunk against New Mexico and get beat at your own game plan.
Yeah...I'm newly back to the state and i'm a die hard but this cycle is hard on my fandom...I really enjoyed the Josh allen years but when Bohl is gone and we get to the next "peak" (which will be like 8 or 9 wins) I'll be pretty cynical in a way that I wish I weren't.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:06 pm We’re a basketball school folks. Time to nut up and accept it. That being said, we have the infrastructure to be successful in football. The right coach can win here.
I don’t think we are a football or basketball school right now. I do agree though that we have a lot better chance of competing in basketball than we will ever have in football.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

We don't have a Bohl problem, we have an AD problem.

It's not just football.
52-56
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

I've been following Wyoming sports for 50 plus years. It's not easy! The sad part is that I graduated almost 40 years ago and sports is the main way I keep in contact with my college friends. It is true what they say, sports are the front porch of every University. I'm not doing group texts every Saturday during football season to talk about how great our business department is doing! Many fans of this team are becoming apathetic. Sad but true. The University needs to do something to keep us interested in Wyoming sports.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

phxpoke wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:55 pm I've been following Wyoming sports for 50 plus years. It's not easy! The sad part is that I graduated almost 40 years ago and sports is the main way I keep in contact with my college friends. It is true what they say, sports are the front porch of every University. I'm not doing group texts every Saturday during football season to talk about how great our business department is doing! Many fans of this team are becoming apathetic. Sad but true. The University needs to do something to keep us interested in Wyoming sports.
fans are not becoming apathetic. Record attendance the last few years. We crave a winner and would support one hard core
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Time for a complete rinse. AD and football coach.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:07 pm Time for a complete rinse. AD and football coach.
Fat chance that'll happen. Got a better shot of getting rid of Biden, Pelosi, etc...outta Washington, D.C.!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Utah State fan here. You know I love you guys. I always try to be respectful and positive over here, so please take this in the spirit that it is given.

1. Yikes! That was BAD. There's no sugar coating that loss. If you're losing to New Mexico, a priori, you have a problem. I'm sorry.

2. I think Bohl would be OK as an FBS defensive coordinator, or an FCS head coach. I don't think he has the chops to be a successful FBS head coach. You see this sometimes. Gary Andersen was a good defensive coordinator, but he couldn't handle the pressure of being an FBS HC, and he snapped. Norm Chow was a brilliant offensive coordinator at BYU; he sucked as a head coach at Hawaii. I think Bohl has been given enough time to prove himself. He has been weighed in the balance, and found wanting. I think you should move on.

3. While #2 is true, I think the real problem goes even deeper. I agree that you probably have an athletic director problem. Hiring John Hartwell at Utah State has been, literally, a game changer. Aside from the Gary Andersen re-hire (something forced on him by a major donor), his coaching hires have all been home runs. And it isn't just football and men's basketball. The non-revenue sports at Utah State are really starting to flourish. I think you need a new AD. Just not John Hartwell.

4. I think the right people CAN win at Wyoming. People used to say that no one could win at Utah State. There were people (ahem, some around here, as I recall) that said we couldn't compete in the MWC. Logan was too small, too provincial, too cold, whatever. If you can win in Logan, you can win in Laramie. Just find the right people.

5. Rally around your kids. This isn't a player problem. Your kids are playing their hearts out. Support the kids, and give them what they need to succeed.

That's all I've got.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I've said it for years and the last few years have only reinforced it: it is very difficult to win in Laramie because it is very difficult to recruit to Laramie.

Over the years, many have said this is an excuse or a defeatist attitude, but it's the absolute truth. Most of the current players on the team don't even like living in Laramie. There are ways to work around it, great facilities (we have), state/institutional support (we have), good coaching (??), etc.

It's not impossible to win in Laramie, but the way college football is evolving, it is becoming more and more difficult.

I honestly think Nick Saban would need 3 or 4 years to succeed if he was at the helm, and even he might have a tough time.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:32 pm I've said it for years and the last few years have only reinforced it: it is very difficult to win in Laramie because it is very difficult to recruit to Laramie.

Over the years, many have said this is an excuse or a defeatist attitude, but it's the absolute truth. Most of the current players on the team don't even like living in Laramie. There are ways to work around it, great facilities (we have), state/institutional support (we have), good coaching (??), etc.

It's not impossible to win in Laramie, but the way college football is evolving, it is becoming more and more difficult.

I honestly think Nick Saban would need 3 or 4 years to succeed if he was at the helm, and even he might have a tough time.
We have more players in the NFL than most teams in our conference. That puts a bag fat hole in your theory
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:00 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:32 pm I've said it for years and the last few years have only reinforced it: it is very difficult to win in Laramie because it is very difficult to recruit to Laramie.

We have more players in the NFL than most teams in our conference. That puts a bag fat hole in your theory
It takes more than 6 good players to have a successful football team.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

I actually agree with you. The way college football is now with Wyoming’s population Wyoming won’t ever compete for a New Year’s Day bowl game. They may be able to win a crappy conference once every 5 years but I think that is the best they can do. Population is just too small statewide. Just the way it is.

With that said I still want Burman and Bohl gone. Also basketball is the way to go, have way better chance to be competitive in it.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I say it all the time but the quote from an outside coach talking to Glenn saying you can't win at WYO has really made me think over the years.

Here's a FACT, we're a perennial loser with flashes of mediocrity and rarely decent since formation of the BCS.. Most recruits today only know us as that because that's all we've been in their lifetime. If Bohl didn't stumble on Allen (yes they get credit for finding him), it would look a lot worse. Josh won DESPITE this staff-- the NFL scouts were right (some of them).

I don't know if you can win at WYO or not. So far in the modern era of football and a quarter of a century of data says no. With that said neither Glenn or Spread asshole guy did much after leaving WYO. Maybe these are just a string of bad hires?

Either way. Bohl should resign. The terrible offense has been consistent enough to know this isn't going to work.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I was on the “we can’t compete at this level, let’s pour our resources into basketball” train years ago and got ran out on a rail. Glad to see some of you are coming around, if only years later.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It is not a recruiting problem. The front range of will continue to explode in population and we will have access to that population. If it was solely a recruiting thing we would have a high quality defense either. This team’s problem is offensive scheme and bad line play. The line play is worse than the qb play at this point.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It is not a recruiting problem. The front range will continue to explode in population and we will have access to that population. If it was solely a recruiting thing we would have a high quality defense either. This team’s problem is offensive scheme and bad line play. The line play is worse than the qb play at this point.