Anyone else having flashbacks to 2005?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Remember 2005? Started out 4-1 with our only loss being on the road at Florida. Then in week 6 the QB commits 7 turnovers in a 28-14 loss to TCU and we don't win another game the rest of the year. I sure hope I'm wrong, but this is how it feels today.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

COS Cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 am Remember 2005? Started out 4-1 with our only loss being on the road at Florida. Then in week 6 the QB commits 7 turnovers in a 28-14 loss to TCU and we don't win another game the rest of the year. I sure hope I'm wrong, but this is how it feels today.
I sure don't see a guaranteed win the rest of the year. Obviously, next week and Hawaii to end the season SHOULD be wins. I think we're dogs in every other game and for good reason. The sheep are going to spank us; they are projecting upwards and we are going the wrong way. IMO, 6-6 is the most likely case at this point unless we magically find a spark on O.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Wow...you are right...eerily familiar. So many (bad) narratives that I have about Wyoming football are lining up right now.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Yeah. It's not looking good.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

No I’m not. The defense on this team is much better. If I recall correctly, turnovers and poor defense plagued that 2005 team. With minimal offensive production, this team can compete with anyone in the MWC.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

IMO and in general, my opinion is that one of the things different between Bohl teams and Glenn teams is that the Glenn teams would soften across the board as the season progressed. Bohl generally has done a good job keeping the guys playing hard.

Unless we get some semblance of a FBS offense, there won't be any games that are a gimmie and could definitely lose any game we play in.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

COS Cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 am Remember 2005? Started out 4-1 with our only loss being on the road at Florida. Then in week 6 the QB commits 7 turnovers in a 28-14 loss to TCU and we don't win another game the rest of the year. I sure hope I'm wrong, but this is how it feels today.
I brought this up when we hired Bohl that it felt a lot like Joe Glenn 2.0.... Starting to feel like that again. Glenn kept making comments that he was a decent QB away from winning the conference but could never recruit or coach one up. Seem to be in the same boat right now....
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

Feels pretty similar.

Couldn't have asked for a better slumpbuster this week than New Mexico. If this game doesn't have a drastically different feel than the last 2 weeks, then, I don't know what is left to say.

With talk of "the deepest, most experience team ever" and the 126th ranked SOS this year, anything less than 9-3 on the season will be a major disappointment.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:14 am Yeah. It's not looking good.
Does that mean you don't "believe" in this team any longer because we lost by more than 10?

How anyone can spew horsecrap for an entire year about firing the offensive coordinator is beyond dumbbell level.
Let me clue you in: It isn't the scheme or the play calling. It's the players on the field. Do you think the Oklahoma coach should be fired because he had to bench Spencer Rattler? The supposed Heisman candidate wasn't improving and had to be benched. He just throws in a freshman who's even better. We recruit players that not many D1 programs want. We got Josh Allen because no one else wanted him. A really good qb is not going to want to come to a place where the head coach's goal is to run the ball 40 times a game. Our only hope is to get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. This isn't out of the blue. Chamber's has struggled all year against mostly cupcake type competition that wouldn't win a single game in the MWC.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:30 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:14 am Yeah. It's not looking good.
Does that mean you don't "believe" in this team any longer because we lost by more than 10?

How anyone can spew horsecrap for an entire year about firing the offensive coordinator is beyond dumbbell level.
Let me clue you in: It isn't the scheme or the play calling. It's the players on the field. Do you think the Oklahoma coach should be fired because he had to bench Spencer Rattler? The supposed Heisman candidate wasn't improving and had to be benched. He just throws in a freshman who's even better. We recruit players that not many D1 programs want. We got Josh Allen because no one else wanted him. A really good qb is not going to want to come to a place where the head coach's goal is to run the ball 40 times a game. Our only hope is to get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. This isn't out of the blue. Chamber's has struggled all year against mostly cupcake type competition that wouldn't win a single game in the MWC.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

HR_Poke wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 am
I brought this up when we hired Bohl that it felt a lot like Joe Glenn 2.0.... Starting to feel like that again. Glenn kept making comments that he was a decent QB away from winning the conference but could never recruit or coach one up. Seem to be in the same boat right now....
Well, we have also tried life with a world-beater quarterback and not much else. I prefer this because it isn't as hopeless to me. I was also one who had more confidence in Coach Glenn over the long haul than in Dave Christensen's gimmicks.

We are struggling now, but the foundation of this team is both real and solid. Our defense still looks like one that belongs one Top 25 team. We should be careful to not lose sight of that.
Poke in Billings
Ranch Hand

WyoExpat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 am
Well, we have also tried life with a world-beater quarterback and not much else. I prefer this because it isn't as hopeless to me. I was also one who had more confidence in Coach Glenn over the long haul than in Dave Christensen's gimmicks.

We are struggling now, but the foundation of this team is both real and solid. Our defense still looks like one that belongs one Top 25 team. We should be careful to not lose sight of that.
I agree wholeheartedy with expat, the base is solid and the defense is performing great. The inconsistent QB play is bad but the o-line play has been my biggest disappointment. Even when defenses are playing it straight and not stacking the box, the backs are getting hit behind the line of scrimmage way too often. We were getting better line play a few years ago with a line that wasn't nearly as big size wise.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:33 am IMO and in general, my opinion is that one of the things different between Bohl teams and Glenn teams is that the Glenn teams would soften across the board as the season progressed. Bohl generally has done a good job keeping the guys playing hard.

Unless we get some semblance of a FBS offense, there won't be any games that are a gimmie and could definitely lose any game we play in.
Boy was this first part wrong.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Poke in Billings wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:42 pm
WyoExpat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 am

I agree wholeheartedy with expat, the base is solid and the defense is performing great. The inconsistent QB play is bad but the o-line play has been my biggest disappointment. Even when defenses are playing it straight and not stacking the box, the backs are getting hit behind the line of scrimmage way too often. We were getting better line play a few years ago with a line that wasn't nearly as big size wise.
Agree the O line has been a disappointment. Have we seen any shakeups? As far as I know, no. What is up with Bohl and never making personnel changes. Get Abojei and Crum out of there and put in a couple 2nd stringers that are hungry.