Bohl Must go…. I was the first to say Edwards

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:03 pm The price of poker just went up! Those who stay will be mediocre!
The FCS guy that only shows up when the pokes lose.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

HR_Poke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:28 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:42 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:13 am
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:53 am
HR_Poke wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:24 pm Chambers should be benched. He's not a D1 QB.
I'm not sure I agree with this but the guy behind him is about 2 steps down. We simply do not get good qbs to come here. Other than Josh and Brett Smith, we've had a whole lot of mediocre qbs in the last 20 years. Some were'nt even mediocre.

We managed 14 points against a defense that gave up 48 to Utah State on their home field. We couldn't even get into the red zone the entire second half. I'm frustrated too. But we have what we have. Putting a TVW clone on the field isn't going to make things any better.
Both Williams and the transfer from Utah outplayed chambers in springball. Chambers hit 30% of his passes thst day too. Williams had issues but his completion percentage was in the mid 50% and he didn't constantly underthrow. If chambers isn't a running threat anymore than any QB on the roster that isn't named beerup is a vast improvement.
Agree. I’d like to get Williams a game. See what he can do when healthy. That Utah kid looked damn good too. Give him a series
Why do people keep mentioning the Utah kid?? Bohl hasn’t uttered his name a single time. He has talked about Hank Gibbs doing some good things.
Jayden Clemmons. He had the best touch of all the qbs at the spring game. He should be eligible with his covid transfer, not sure why bohl doesn't mention him.
He is a walk on that didn’t play QB at Utah. He is 4th on the depth chart behind Beerup and Williams. He made a couple throws to wide open receivers in the spring game going against largely 3s with some 2s sprinkled in. It’s ridiculous to suggest that he should get a shot before Williams.
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:53 am
bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:19 pm Man, I remember when I had the audacity to question the state spending money on the HAPC when they were cut cut cut elsewhere. This board was utterly convinced we'd be winning conference championships in no time with that thing built.

That's aged well.
Yeah... The whole idea that the only reason there had not been success in Laramie was due to not spending enough should have never been swallowed.

I think your investment in football can be low enough that it does limit you but the flip side of that is not true.... Investing more will not solve other challenges, it only gets you a seat at the table.

**I still welcome a high level of investment in Wyo athletics...I just don't think that is the "only" thing that is necessary to be a high level program.
Money definitely isn't the only issue, but going on the endless coaching change carousel ain't it either. Get a good one his upward trajectory, and he stays a few years and moves on to a bigger (P5?) program. Keep doing that -ad infinitum. Up and down, up and down.... Maybe we coax a Dabo Sweeney or a Nick Saban to come here (and bring all those 5 star recruits with them) - don't think that's going to happen, does anyone here think something like that is even in the realm of possibility? Is Bohl the best coach? Maybe not, but he definitely has a proven track record (he's undoubtedly been in the conversation for lots of D1 jobs over the years, probably even Nebraska), has had some pretty good (maybe not as good as we'd all ideally like) results at UW, has created a very stable environment, AND wants to be here and stay here. Maybe all of the rah rah "best team ever", "most depth ever" didn't help with everyone's expectations, but the bottom line is that level of talent just isn't as great as lots of other programs. At least Bohl is pretty good at getting some overachieving to happen (sometimes) and locate/polish some diamonds in the rough. In today's environment, that means a lot.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Christ almighty there are a bunch of chicken littles on this board. We lost 1 road game to one of the best teams in our division. The sky is not falling. If we beat Fresno at home (and I think we do), we're setup pretty damn well for the next 3 games afterwards.

Chambers is not a good QB, though. That I can agree with. He singlehandedly tanked the first 4 drives (delay of game, fumble, missing a WIDE OPEN Parker Christensen, grounding). Enough is enough with him. He seems like a good dude. He does win games. That being said, if we need to dig out of a 14-0 hole against every team with a pulse we will not have many opportunities to win.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:13 am Christ almighty there are a bunch of chicken littles on this board. We lost 1 road game to one of the best teams in our division. The sky is not falling. If we beat Fresno at home (and I think we do), we're setup pretty damn well for the next 3 games afterwards.

Chambers is not a good QB, though. That I can agree with. He singlehandedly tanked the first 4 drives (delay of game, fumble, missing a WIDE OPEN Parker Christensen, grounding). Enough is enough with him. He seems like a good dude. He does win games. That being said, if we need to dig out of a 14-0 hole against every team with a pulse we will not have many opportunities to win.
Missing neyor on a slant rant throwing it to the turf behind him... Missing neyor on a post route where he beat the corner and throwing it 10 yards behind him into the turf....
I don't know what was in his head, but he needed to be benched to get things figured out. I thought bohl was going to do it when he went over and chewed him out in the 4th quarter after missing Neyor. But nope....
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Bohl has it better with respect to budget relative to conference mates than any other previous coaching administration. Anything pre-bcs is worthless in terms of analyzing--the landscape of cfb has changed too much. His predecessors with poorer budgets relative to peers didn't fair too well.

For football expenditures, WYO sits at about 5th in the conference with ballpark of 13-14 million. The 5th-7th range of teams all spend just north of 13 million. The next level up (4th + spend 3 million + than us). The next level down are all in 3 million less than us +/-; this includes AF which likely is not accurate since scholarships and such aren't counted.

Currently Nevada is overachieving with respect to budget as they sit at around 10 million in expenses. Everything else lines up about like conference standings except csu who is grossly underperforming with respect to budget.

Colorado State $25,082,000
Boise State $19,525,349
San Diego State $16,817,000
Fresno State $16,803,000
Wyoming $13,815,000
Utah State $13,245,000
Hawaii $13,201,000
Nevada $10,710,000
Nevada-Las Vegas $10,175,000
New Mexico $9,804,000
Air Force $9,798,000
San Jose State $9,791,000
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

HR_Poke wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:26 am
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:13 am Christ almighty there are a bunch of chicken littles on this board. We lost 1 road game to one of the best teams in our division. The sky is not falling. If we beat Fresno at home (and I think we do), we're setup pretty damn well for the next 3 games afterwards.

Missing neyor on a slant rant throwing it to the turf behind him... Missing neyor on a post route where he beat the corner and throwing it 10 yards behind him into the turf....
I don't know what was in his head, but he needed to be benched to get things figured out. I thought bohl was going to do it when he went over and chewed him out in the 4th quarter after missing Neyor. But nope....
Yeah, if Chambers truly is the best/only option, we need to do something this offseason. I'm with you guys though; give Williams a try. I get that Sean has been a great leader and earned a chance to get a shot this season after coming back from injury again. However, it is pretty simple. Without more production from the QB spot, WYO doesn't have a shot against better teams.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

I don't think anybody here is complaining or being a "chicken little" due merely to being 4-1. It's the way we got here. Let's recap:

1. Truly coin flip games against what should have been inferior competition. The Montana game and the Uconn game were truly contests of equals. I think that for half of the NIU game and the entire Ball st. game we actually played well ... and neither of those teams are at a level that we want to be at.

2. Utterly dominated by AFA. We had two decent offensive possessions and that was it. That game went exactly as Troy Calhoun wanted it to. AFA is definitely the best team we have played so far and that game went exactly as you would expect it to have gone based on how our first four games went.

The team I have watched through the first 5 games will not beat anybody in the top half of the MWC (including Fresno) and will struggle against the UNLV's, UNM's and other MWC also-rans.

I'm not comforted at all by those first four wins....The zero in the loss column was very misleading....totally agree on Chambers though.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:32 am
HR_Poke wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:26 am

Yeah, if Chambers truly is the best/only option, we need to do something this offseason. I'm with you guys though; give Williams a try. I get that Sean has been a great leader and earned a chance to get a shot this season after coming back from injury again. However, it is pretty simple. Without more production from the QB spot, WYO doesn't have a shot against better teams.
With as much passing as we are doing we need someone better. If they want to keep Chambers as the starter then they probably need to run more RPO or read options. But I'm not sure how good of a runner he is anymore. He did ok a couple times on Saturday, but then had some really weak runs.... For the life of me I can't figure out why Valleday didn't get more touches, it was clear they were selling out to contain the edges...
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

A fire Bohl thread at 4-1 is almost as ridiculous as all the “Bohl’s undefeated if you don’t count all his losses” excuses to keep him.
52-56
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

Easy to blame the coach. Still plenty of season to go.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

HR_Poke wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 am
With as much passing as we are doing we need someone better. If they want to keep Chambers as the starter then they probably need to run more RPO or read options. But I'm not sure how good of a runner he is anymore. He did ok a couple times on Saturday, but then had some really weak runs.... For the life of me I can't figure out why Valleday didn't get more touches, it was clear they were selling out to contain the edges...
I think you hit the nail on the head about him not being as effective runner. Without that, a lot of his game suffers because really that was about all he had. He does settle in and make some nice throws, but like a lot of dual threat QBs, he's just really inconsistent.

The old cliche' is very true. You have to be able to take what the D gives you. The D is giving us passing options over and over but the POKES are unable to take what the D gives them (at least consistently throughout the game).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:55 am
I think you hit the nail on the head about him not being as effective runner. Without that, a lot of his game suffers because really that was about all he had. He does settle in and make some nice throws, but like a lot of dual threat QBs, he's just really inconsistent.

The old cliche' is very true. You have to be able to take what the D gives you. The D is giving us passing options over and over but the POKES are unable to take what the D gives them (at least consistently throughout the game).
In the first few games Chambers looked indecisive and slow on runs. That said, against AF he looked like the old chambers. The phantom hold call negated a great Chambers run for a first down on 3rd and 18.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

I love a QB that can run, but in our offense, if we could get a QB that was more accurate, we would be deadly. With a solid and reliable short passing game, it would clear out the 8-9 man boxes we have seen and will continue to see. Until we can show we can pass, we will be stuck in neutral or 1st gear and won't win some games we should. We could also lose Neyor to the transfer portal.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:00 am I love a QB that can run, but in our offense, if we could get a QB that was more accurate, we would be deadly. With a solid and reliable short passing game, it would clear out the 8-9 man boxes we have seen and will continue to see. Until we can show we can pass, we will be stuck in neutral or 1st gear and won't win some games we should. We could also lose Neyor to the transfer portal.
What about lining up both Williams and chambers in a formation? That’s what I would try.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:00 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:55 am

In the first few games Chambers looked indecisive and slow on runs. That said, against AF he looked like the old chambers. The phantom hold call negated a great Chambers run for a first down on 3rd and 18.
Definitely improved, but it would be interesting to analyze how many drive killing plays he had. Plays that either put us in 3rd and long (which is damn near equivalent to killing a drive for the POKES) or into 4th down with the caveat that it had to be a missed read, missed throw, etc. Maybe it isn't as bad I think it is or maybe it's worse???
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

wwplayer wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:57 am
bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:19 pm Man, I remember when I had the audacity to question the state spending money on the HAPC when they were cut cut cut elsewhere. This board was utterly convinced we'd be winning conference championships in no time with that thing built.

That's aged well.
Yeah... The whole idea that the only reason there had not been success in Laramie was due to not spending enough should have never been swallowed.

I think your investment in football can be low enough that it does limit you but the flip side of that is not true.... Investing more will not solve other challenges, it only gets you a seat at the table.

**I still welcome a high level of investment in Wyo athletics...I just don't think that is the "only" thing that is necessary to be a high level program.
Money definitely isn't the only issue, but going on the endless coaching change carousel ain't it either. Get a good one his upward trajectory, and he stays a few years and moves on to a bigger (P5?) program. Keep doing that -ad infinitum. Up and down, up and down.... Maybe we coax a Dabo Sweeney or a Nick Saban to come here (and bring all those 5 star recruits with them) - don't think that's going to happen, does anyone here think something like that is even in the realm of possibility? Is Bohl the best coach? Maybe not, but he definitely has a proven track record (he's undoubtedly been in the conversation for lots of D1 jobs over the years, probably even Nebraska), has had some pretty good (maybe not as good as we'd all ideally like) results at UW, has created a very stable environment, AND wants to be here and stay here. Maybe all of the rah rah "best team ever", "most depth ever" didn't help with everyone's expectations, but the bottom line is that level of talent just isn't as great as lots of other programs. At least Bohl is pretty good at getting some overachieving to happen (sometimes) and locate/polish some diamonds in the rough. In today's environment, that means a lot.
Endless coaching carousel? This is his 8th year. He is almost a decade removed from NDSU and his “track record”. We aren’t hiring and firing guys after 3 years, a football coach in Laramie gets an honest shake. I would love to be a stepping stone job instead of the graveyard we are now. He has never been in contention for any P5 job, let’s not pretend he’s turning down 4 mil a year from a P5 school because he loves UW so much. He simply hasn’t been good enough to warrant consideration at the next level.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:22 am
wwplayer wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:57 am

That's aged well.

Endless coaching carousel? This is his 8th year. He is almost a decade removed from NDSU and his “track record”. We aren’t hiring and firing guys after 3 years, a football coach in Laramie gets an honest shake. I would love to be a stepping stone job instead of the graveyard we are now. He has never been in contention for any P5 job, let’s not pretend he’s turning down 4 mil a year from a P5 school because he loves UW so much. He simply hasn’t been good enough to warrant consideration at the next level.
Since ole pool table guy, we were in the dregs of the MWC. Similar to the current situation UNM, unlv, etc. is in and perhaps even less than the situation csu is in. I'm curious what makes you think getting rid of Bohl will do more than cast us back into the MWC cellar? I get the philosophy that it can't get worse, but it can. It can get a lot worse. We are along the lines of a UNLV, UNM, NMSU, etc. Our culture in the modern era of college football is either loser or Bohl ball--that's all we've been. I think there are two ceilings here for consideration: a WYO ceiling and a Bohl ceiling. It is my opinion, the Bohl ceiling is higher. Just like the Rocky ceiling was higher than the UNM ceiling.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

On the contrary, why are you so convinced we would end up like UNM/UNLV now? You have exactly the same amount of evidence I do, none. I would argue none of those schools have taken football as seriously as UW is now. We have the infrastructure to be successful, or at least more successful than we are now. Personally I just wish we would all accept the real truth that we are a basketball school and invest in that. But if we’re going to invest so much in football, I want better results.

I’m not arguing for Bohl to be fired right now, I realize that is not happening anytime soon. But we all know how this ends and it doesn’t involve MW championships. More likely it ends with him “retiring” sometime in the next few years when his current extension nears its end.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:06 pm On the contrary, why are you so convinced we would end up like UNM/UNLV now? You have exactly the same amount of evidence I do, none. I would argue none of those schools have taken football as seriously as UW is now. We have the infrastructure to be successful, or at least more successful than we are now. Personally I just wish we would all accept the real truth that we are a basketball school and invest in that. But if we’re going to invest so much in football, I want better results.

I’m not arguing for Bohl to be fired right now, I realize that is not happening anytime soon. But we all know how this ends and it doesn’t involve MW championships. More likely it ends with him “retiring” sometime in the next few years when his current extension nears its end.
There is no way to know for sure. There is always the off chance of catching lightning in a bottle, but the changing landscape of cfb has put at more of a disadvantage than in the past and our past indicates multiple coaching failures before (if) we hit on someone that is decent. Again, no way to know, but to me, all indicators are that we would be back to where we were and similar to UNM or worse. We all love Laramie, but I think it is getting to be a tougher and tougher sell. Bohl is close and this year isn't over yet.