Complain about chambers all you want - but this is why UCONN almost beat us.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

UCONN
Total First Downs: 19
- Rushing: 8
- Passing: 5
- PENALTY: 6

How many first downs did we give up via penalty on the final drive, alone? Pass interference on the 4th down inside Uconn territory gave them life. And how many shots at the endzone they get in the last minute of play - at least two of those were gifts of penalties.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Lost Poke wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:46 pm UCONN
Total First Downs: 19
- Rushing: 8
- Passing: 5
- PENALTY: 6

How many first downs did we give up via penalty on the final drive, alone? Pass interference on the 4th down inside Uconn territory gave them life. And how many shots at the endzone they get in the last minute of play - at least two of those were gifts of penalties.
Yep. Self inflicted wounds nearly killed us in this one. Glad we made it out with the W, but man, there are a LOT of things to fix in the bye week.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Yeah, I'll probably get over my Chambers hang-ups if he just starts playing a little smarter. If he's going to be a game manager he needs to start playing like one. He needs to make the right reads and not throw balls into double coverage.

I agree though that he's not the reason we nearly lost that game.

I do think his limitations will cost us a title this year if he doesn't stop making the mental errors at qb. SDSU, Fresno, or Boise will beat us if he gives them too many chances.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 pm SDSU, Fresno, or Boise will beat us if he gives them too many chances.
If we don't get a pass rush or luck out and play on a super windy day, Fresno is going to light us up.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 pm SDSU, Fresno, or Boise will beat us if he gives them too many chances.
If we don't get a pass rush or luck out and play on a super windy day, Fresno is going to light us up.
Meh they needed a rally to beat UNLV. If we come to play we can go toe to toe with them. The War should be rocking too.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:06 pm
Meh they needed a rally to beat UNLV. If we come to play we can go toe to toe with them. The War should be rocking too.
I don't know, man. I'm not sure we match up that well unless we get pressure. They have legit nfl talent at receiver and a pretty good QB.

I'm guessing we'll have to use more zone than man. With time, I don't think our corners can cover them in man. Hoping for a really windy day.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

It's a great post, OP. Not justifiable beating ourselves. Might as well let the opponent do it.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't get the hate on Chambers... there are 21 other starters and the QB is not the reason this game was close. As was pointed out penalties and our D giving up crucial 3rd down conversions.

We definitely have some things to shore up on Defense if we are to be competitive in conference play.
I'm good for 3!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

The bye week comes at the ideal point in the season for us. We have four games under our belts - and a 4-0 record. Were they pretty wins? Not really, with the exception of Ball State. Do we have a lot to clean up? Absolutely. But I have faith in this staff. They have shown the ability to adjust in-game and these kids have shown grit and mental toughness to win. In the past, we would have folded like a cheap suit. The Pokes are mentally tough and confident (I'd argue overly confident at UConn). They are also senior-laden with true leaders, including Chambers. Sure, SC has some mental lapses and sometimes lacks touch on his passes, but the late drives against UConn, NIU and Montana State were things of beauty. He was poised, gathered, measured and smart. That is something that Polasek and Co can build on.

As for the defense, I absolutely agree that our front 4 need to figure out how to get pressure. If they do - look out (e.g. Ball State). Our corners can cover - just not forever - and our LBs are amazing if they are free to react and tackle. It all comes down to the guys up front with their knuckles in the dirt (or turf as the case may be).

Will we go undefeated? Who knows. Does this have the makings of a special season? Absolutely.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:58 am I don't get the hate on Chambers... there are 21 other starters and the QB is not the reason this game was close. As was pointed out penalties and our D giving up crucial 3rd down conversions.

We definitely have some things to shore up on Defense if we are to be competitive in conference play.
I don't see any hate...just fan "concern". He made some poor decisions, but hell - all QB's at the college level (and then some) do...he is far from alone. As fans, it is easy to see that he should have just bunny-hopped the 5 feet to a first down, instead...he launched a ball 15 yards down field over a receivers noggin. And there are similar, but game minutes will help - hell, he really hasn't played since 2019 when his season was cut short (Enter Levi in the AZ Bowl).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:06 pm
They won’t play against us like they did against UNLV. They knew UNLV sucked and they came out flat in the first half after their upset of UCLA the week before which wasn’t a fluke. They should have beat Oregon at Oregon if it wasn’t for a couple turnovers.

They will definitely be ready to play when they come to Laramie. So we better hope we can get some pressure with our front 4 or it will be a very long day for the defense and we will have to match them score for score.

Not saying they are unbeatable but the game against UNLV was them basically taking it easy knowing they could turn it up at any point in the game and win it against sucky UNLV, so I wouldn’t put too much stock in that game.

I watched them against UCLA and Oregon and they were every bit as good as both of those teams. I hope we beat them . It would be a great win.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I don’t see anyone complaining about chambers. When you throw a couple of INTS and you can’t score on the worst team in the fbs, people can raise questions.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

Vandy barely beats UConn by two points also. Looks like the Huskies are playing decent ball.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:11 pm Vandy barely beats UConn by two points also. Looks like the Huskies are playing decent ball.
Vanderbilt is widely considered a Bottom 10 dweller also. We have to stop trying to prop up a terrible UConn team because we almost lost. We had our annual stinker against UConn this year and unlike years past, we didn't lose, we escaped.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

cowpoke pride wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:26 am
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:11 pm Vandy barely beats UConn by two points also. Looks like the Huskies are playing decent ball.
Vanderbilt is widely considered a Bottom 10 dweller also. We have to stop trying to prop up a terrible UConn team because we almost lost. We had our annual stinker against UConn this year and unlike years past, we didn't lose, we escaped.
At the end of the day, it does not matter how close the game was. We won and that is it.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:10 pm
cowpoke pride wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:26 am
At the end of the day, it does not matter how close the game was. We won and that is it.
UConn is still dog butt awful and yes, as we can clearly see now, the UConn game, despite the W, was bells and whistles and lights that we weren't very good.