Coach Speak: Just Stop!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Defense was "bend but don't break"? WTF. Looked to me like it was a breakdown completely. Bend don't break my ass. How about break, but have the offense bail your ass out. That was as poor of a showing on defense as I can ever remember.

This little league coach has heard enough of that f-word coach speak.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

While I agree the defense played poorly they have bailed the team out many games in the past seasons. It was refreshing to see the offense get the job done
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:55 am Defense was "bend but don't break"? WTF. Looked to me like it was a breakdown completely. Bend don't break my A$$. How about break, but have the offense bail your A$$ out. That was as poor of a showing on defense as I can ever remember.

This little league coach has heard enough of that f##k[#] coach speak.
Short memory you have - Bohl’s teams have had some head scratching defensive performances over the years. In 2016, New Mexico rushed for about 600 yards against us and moved the ball at will.

The defense against Northern Illinois struggled mightily (especially against Waylee) - but it forced 3 INTs which was the difference in the game.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

It’s either the offense sucks or the d. Can’t ever seem to put a complete performance together. But I agree, it was refreshing to see us dominate on offense for once
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:16 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:55 am Defense was "bend but don't break"? WTF. Looked to me like it was a breakdown completely. Bend don't break my A$$. How about break, but have the offense bail your A$$ out. That was as poor of a showing on defense as I can ever remember.

This little league coach has heard enough of that f##k[#] coach speak.
Short memory you have - Bohl’s teams have had some head scratching defensive performances over the years. In 2016, New Mexico rushed for about 600 yards against us and moved the ball at will.

The defense against Northern Illinois struggled mightily (especially against Waylee) - but it forced 3 INTs which was the difference in the game.
Steve Stanard. I mentally blocked those years. Was at both the @UNM and @UNLV games where he poop the bed on D (amongst others). I guess I didn't mentally block those years, lol!

That said, I was pissed that both our DC and HC went with "bend don't break" coach-speak after the NIU game. Ridiculous. It was break and then get lucky.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I’m still optimistic about the D. On the big run by the Russian last name guy, Gibbs had him for a loss but hit him high and bounced off. On one of their TDs we had a free runner up the middle that wiffed on QB. Those are two that come to mind, I’m hoping there’s more. It could be that we were sure they’d be passing and started running. The rb had a big day with half of his yards on the one 75 yd run followed by our fumble.
W-Y, Until I Die!
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Probably should remember that neither of the the teams we have beaten are "bad" teams. NIU won their first game and Montana St. beat the crap out of their 2nd week opponent. If and when both our offense and defense play well (during the same game -for all four quarters), the Pokes could be a really scary team. But the big question mark is the "if" and "when". Ball State at home "shouldn't" present too much of a problem (again, that "shouldn't") and we will destroy UConn. The real test will be when we start conference play.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wwplayer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:33 pm Probably should remember that neither of the the teams we have beaten are "bad" teams. NIU won their first game and Montana St. beat the crap out of their 2nd week opponent. If and when both our offense and defense play well (during the same game -for all four quarters), the Pokes could be a really scary team. But the big question mark is the "if" and "when". Ball State at home "shouldn't" present too much of a problem (again, that "shouldn't") and we will destroy UConn. The real test will be when we start conference play.
I think mt state played Drake last week. They are DII or NAIA or something. Not really a legit opponent for them.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times

While not a traditional power house, Drake is an FCS program, just like Montana and MSU.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:32 pm While not a traditional power house, Drake is an FCS program, just like Montana and MSU.
They play in the Pioneer League non scholarship division
wwplayer
Buckaroo

Still think that we probably will not really know what this team is until after that first MWC game (Air Force).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

All phases of the game have played really good at times and some phases of the game have also played relatively poorly. Meh, seems normal for this time of year. Haven't put together a complete game yet, but, to me, this year seems a bit different because at least it seems most units have flashed success. Getting each unit to sustain success shouldn't be an insurmountable hurdle.

In other words, this team has the feel for me like a team that will start peaking in Oct and Nov with a little inconsistency prior to that. Just my hunch.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

wwplayer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:32 am Still think that we probably will not really know what this team is until after that first MWC game (Air Force).
I agree. That's the one I have circled. Bohl likes to play it "close to the vest" in non conference play. We will find out a lot about this team once conference play begins.
I'm good for 3!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 am
wwplayer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:32 am Still think that we probably will not really know what this team is until after that first MWC game (Air Force).
I agree. That's the one I have circled. Bohl likes to play it "close to the vest" in non conference play. We will find out a lot about this team once conference play begins.
Also agree that the game against AFA will tell us much more about what this team actually is...Buuuuuut...I do think we can make some statements about what this team is not

This team is not a cellar-dwellar MWC team....Look at the lower level MWC teams and it is clear that Wyoming is ahead of them. The gap is only partially talent...I would say that while the bottom of the MWC may not have the best players...they also don't have a coherent program culture. That is one thing that Bohl really works on and values. I actually think that cohesion directly let to the pokes having the fortitude to come back like they did in the first two games. This Cowboys team may struggle with the lower echelon of the MWC but I'm putting the pokes ahead of them.

This team is not a MWC title game favorite. This is for the same reason that I don't include them in the category of the bottom of the MWC...the eye test. When watching Fresno, Nevada, Boise, SDSU....I see a gap. While I agree that there might be some "close to the vest" type of strategy going on that makes it difficult to completely assess the size of that gap, I believe that if we were on that level, the first two games would have gone differently.

If I had to bet a ton of money on a range that Wyoming would fall into in a final conference power ranking at the end of the season...I say somewhere from 4 to 8.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Yeah, I don't see us competing for the conference title this year. I also don't see us winning 10 games. I'd be surprised if we won over 8, and that's including a possible bowl win.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

bullbugle307 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:35 am Yeah, I don't see us competing for the conference title this year. I also don't see us winning 10 games. I'd be surprised if we won over 8, and that's including a possible bowl win.
Yeah, the jury is still out until we know the quality of our opponents we've played so far and the quality of our own team.

The good news is: we don't have to win 10 games. We have to win 1 game: Ball State.

2-0. Let's go!!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

bullbugle307 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:35 am Yeah, I don't see us competing for the conference title this year. I also don't see us winning 10 games. I'd be surprised if we won over 8, and that's including a possible bowl win.
Double Post = BYU still sucks a fat one.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

This Ball St team will truly be a test and we better be ready, glad it's in Laramie