Poll - How long have you been a Poke fan?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!

How long have you been a Poke fan?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Over 50 years
24%
40 to 50 years
16%
30 to 40 years
32%
20 to 30 years
21%
10 to 20 years
3%
Less than 10 years
5%

Total votes: 38
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Really all my life as I'm a die hard, removed outta state a few times, and that's what strengthened my fandom. I was told we used to go to games when i was up til 1 and moved to Buffalo from Cheyenne. My dad being a game warden we'd turn the games on when i was about 12-13 and listen to Larry B. I really didn't get hooked until the 87 season under Roach and i knew i was going to UW in 88. We rarely went to games cuz hunting season and work, but i do consider myself a die hard Wyoming Cowboys fan!! GO POKES!!!
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Since the mid-sixties! Parents moved to Laramie in 65 or 66 so my Dad could get his Ph.D. We lived in student housing real close to the baseball field. Directly across the street from us lived someone you old timers will remember. His name was Rick Egloff. I was real young at that time. Vaguely remember Black-14 incident. Been some wonderful “ups” and to many “downs” but will be a fan for life!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Growing up in Casper, the University of Wyoming may as well have been the University of Pluto. No one talked about UW and the Star Tribune barely recognized their existence. Having said that, I've been a fan since the BB team came became a powerhouse under Jim Brandenburg in 1980. Those were the days!
Mtpoke89
Ranch Hand

My first game was with a church group during FCA week or something like that in 2000 or 01 against the Aztecs. I was in 6th grade or so and have been hooked ever sense. Went to the border war in 04 when it was Bramlet vs van pelt and that was a hell of a game. Remember being in high school with my headphones and the radio of the game going listening to games mowing the lawn lol.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Well over 50 years. I became a Poke fan after I got out of the military, so I guess that shows that I am older than dirt.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Growing up in Laramie, I vaguely remember the glory days of the early'60's. Definitely remember the Black 14 and subsequent collapse of the program. Went to the bowl game in '76 with the band. Moved out of the area not too long after graduating. With the advent of the internet (and sites like this), I've been able to reconnect over the past 20 years or so. So, we're talking a long, long time.....
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Since the mid-90s when I was old enough to start paying attention to any sport other than baseball.

But more than anything as a student at UW watching Joe Glenn playing and singing Cowboy Joe on the piano in the student Union with 1,000 other students getting pumped for a big game that week.
52-56
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

My first game was in 1972. My dad was friends with Nick Bebout's family from Shoshoni. As a little kid, it was so cool to meet a real Pokes player. Been a diehard ever since.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Looks like maybe WYO should put the "under 12" $5.00 game tickets back in place?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

Less than 10. Just getting into WYO football the past 5 or so years.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:17 am Looks like maybe WYO should put the "under 12" $5.00 game tickets back in place?
I agree with a ‘knothole.’ That was instrumental in me coming to games growing up. It was actually U18 at one point. As soon as I got my drivers license, me and some buddies would drive to Laramie and watch all the games. And usually stick around to see if we could impress some college girls haha.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I've been a Poke fan since the summer of 2016 when I first visited the campus.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:17 am Looks like maybe WYO should put the "under 12" $5.00 game tickets back in place?
Absolutely. That would be an investment in our future
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:23 pm
Absolutely. That would be an investment in our future
100%

Not that there are a poop ton of < 12's posting on here...but their parents are!
Dear Karma,

phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

I used to sit in the knot hole with my buddies from cheyenne. We would also throw the football around by the giant pine trees. I wonder how many of today's parents would let their kids run free like that now?
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Wow, this has been interesting. Thanks to everyone who responded. Some great narrative to go along with the poll.

70% of respondents have been fans since the 1980’s or earlier with many going back to the 1960’s. There are some long time Poke fans on here.

I am surprised at the lack of 21st century fans. I guess they are all on Twitter or something. I remember on the original gowyogo there were a number of students posting inside information we couldn’t get elsewhere. I miss that.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Bump
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

Chuck Harkins wrote many times of the Pokes in the Casper Star Tribune and back in the 60s we had three Cowboy football radio networks that you could select from. There were three voices of the Cowboys. Being a national recognized football program we had much interest in the Cowboys in the 60s.

In Casper at East Jr High we would sit around the lunch table and one of the teachers would fill us in as to what he was hearing as to the new recruits coming in and the players that would make big plays for the Pokes in upcoming years. He would attend the games every week and we could only wish that we could attend even one game per year. Those were great times for being a Cowboy fan. In fact in elem school at Park school we were taught the Cowboy Joe fight song as part of the music curriculum in our daily class requirements.

My first game 1968! I thought I was walking into the Taj Mahal of stadiums! No upper decks at that time at War Memorial Stadium.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Douglaspoke wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:26 am Chuck Harkins wrote many times of the Pokes in the Casper Star Tribune and back in the 60s we had three Cowboy football radio networks that you could select from. There were three voices of the Cowboys. Being a national recognized football program we had much interest in the Cowboys in the 60s.

In Casper at East Jr High we would sit around the lunch table and one of the teachers would fill us in as to what he was hearing as to the new recruits coming in and the players that would make big plays for the Pokes in upcoming years. He would attend the games every week and we could only wish that we could attend even one game per year. Those were great times for being a Cowboy fan. In fact in elem school at Park school we were taught the Cowboy Joe fight song as part of the music curriculum in our daily class requirements.

My first game 1968! I thought I was walking into the Taj Mahal of stadiums! No upper decks at that time at War Memorial Stadium.
Good stuff. I remember watching the construction of both of the upper decks.
Dear Karma,

Steamboat
Buckaroo

Since 1953. Used to listen to Larry Birleffi's radio broadcast with my older brothers.