Most accomplished WYO sport in past decade?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I admit that as life has gotten busier, I haven't paid close attention to other UW sports. I know, I know, I'll try to do better :D .

Anyway, since it is the offseason, what do you think is the most accomplished sport at UW in the past decade and why? Women's bball? Wrestling? Football?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:56 pm I admit that as life has gotten busier, I haven't paid close attention to other UW sports. I know, I know, I'll try to do better :D .

Anyway, since it is the offseason, what do you think is the most accomplished sport at UW in the past decade and why? Women's bball? Wrestling? Football?
Swimming maybe? Wrasslin' is up there too.

Oh Hell - out of the ones that count, (2 of them), men's basketball has been more successful than football in the past decade.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wrestling and it’s probably not particularly close. Volleyball, womens soccer, women’s basketball, men’s basketball (Nance Jr.), football (2016) have all had a good season or two but wrestling has consistently been a top 25 program. I can’t say that I’ve followed swimming much but I don’t recall top 25 teams.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:15 pm Wrestling and it’s probably not particularly close. Volleyball, womens soccer, women’s basketball, men’s basketball (Nance Jr.), football (2016) have all had a good season or two but wrestling has consistently been a top 25 program. I can’t say that I’ve followed swimming much but I don’t recall top 25 teams.
Good point about wrestling. I don't follow too closely, but I have noticed a lot of T25 mentions. Probably a better (perhaps more debatable) question would be second most accomplished sport, lol.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Volleyball is consistently the best. They have by far the best conference winning percentage
American Horse
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am Volleyball is consistently the best. They have by far the best conference winning percentage
This brings up an interesting question. Which is more important, conference wins or national placings? I didn’t know this about v-ball and in my opinion wrestling has definitely been Wyoming’s best sport. However I can also see where v-ball could be a contender. This question could get REALLY interesting in the B.-10 where (in wrestling) a team could very easily place higher in the NC tournament than they do in their conference tournament.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

American Horse wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:56 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am Volleyball is consistently the best. They have by far the best conference winning percentage
This brings up an interesting question. Which is more important, conference wins or national placings? I didn’t know this about v-ball and in my opinion wrestling has definitely been Wyoming’s best sport. However I can also see where v-ball could be a contender. This question could get REALLY interesting in the B.-10 where (in wrestling) a team could very easily place higher in the NC tournament than they do in their conference tournament.
imo it’s vball. There are at least four times as many d1 teams that play volleyball than wrestling. We got royally snubbed from the ncaa tourney one year and we had a top 35 or so rpi. Unfortunately as a team in wrestling we’ve never had a season this good. We finish second in our conference nearly every year behind national powerhouse csu. More consistent than wrestling
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:14 pm
We finish second in our conference nearly every year behind national powerhouse csu. More consistent than wrestling
This doesn’t seem accurate to me. I recall the 2019 season’(which was great) but don’t recall the volleyball team being in the top 2 in the conference other years.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:26 pm
We finish second in our conference nearly every year behind national powerhouse csu. More consistent than wrestling
This doesn’t seem accurate to me. I recall the 2019 season’(which was great) but don’t recall the volleyball team being in the top 2 in the conference other years.
we are as often second as anything else to csu under Callahan
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 pm
What years? Other than the great 2019 conference season, I believe volleyball’s best conference record is 12-5 over the past decade. Don’t get me wrong, volleyball has been one of Wyoming’s best programs, but it really hasn’t had much relevance at a national level nor has it dominated the conference.

CSU certainly has been a good program in volleyball, but comparing MWC volleyball to Big 12 wrestling is apples to oranges. The MWC is nowhere close to a top conference in volleyball. The Big 12 is the second best wrestling conference in the country in most years. I believe several years ago that Oklahoma State was ranked top 5 when Wyoming knocked them off in a dual.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:09 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 pm
What years? Other than the great 2019 conference season, I believe volleyball’s best conference record is 12-5 over the past decade. Don’t get me wrong, volleyball has been one of Wyoming’s best programs, but it really hasn’t had much relevance at a national level nor has it dominated the conference.

CSU certainly has been a good program in volleyball, but comparing MWC volleyball to Big 12 wrestling is apples to oranges. The MWC is nowhere close to a top conference in volleyball. The Big 12 is the second best wrestling conference in the country in most years. I believe several years ago that Oklahoma State was ranked top 5 when Wyoming knocked them off in a dual.
I am having trouble finding past statistics for women's volleyball.

A large part of my reasoning is that wrestling is seen as a niche sport by many. Women's volleyball is absolutely the second most important women's sport there is.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

The OP asked what the most accomplished sport at UW is. Not most accomplished of FB,BB or VB, disregarding any other sport for any reason. I would also argue that having fewer teams makes those teams stronger. Nothing is “watered down.” Can you imagine how good the NFL teams would be if there were only 10 of them? Or if there were only 50 D1 football teams. This gives credence to the argument of wrestling being the more successful program.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

https://themw.com/standings.aspx?standings=52

for those who wish to look at recent MWC volleyball standings
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

American Horse wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:34 pm The OP asked what the most accomplished sport at UW is. Not most accomplished of FB,BB or VB, disregarding any other sport for any reason. I would also argue that having fewer teams makes those teams stronger. Nothing is “watered down.” Can you imagine how good the NFL teams would be if there were only 10 of them? Or if there were only 50 D1 football teams. This gives credence to the argument of wrestling being the more successful program.
Hmmmm. If your favorite (or defended) "sport" has 50 competing teams, you should toot your horn if you are top 25? Unlike if your sport has 350, 143, or 129? What? Regardless, hilarious post, I love the mention of 10 NFL teams...that is funny stuff.

:rofl:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am
American Horse wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:34 pm The OP asked what the most accomplished sport at UW is. Not most accomplished of FB,BB or VB, disregarding any other sport for any reason. I would also argue that having fewer teams makes those teams stronger. Nothing is “watered down.” Can you imagine how good the NFL teams would be if there were only 10 of them? Or if there were only 50 D1 football teams. This gives credence to the argument of wrestling being the more successful program.
Hmmmm. If your favorite (or defended) "sport" has 50 competing teams, you should toot your horn if you are top 25? Unlike if your sport has 350, 143, or 129? What? Regardless, hilarious post, I love the mention of 10 NFL teams...that is funny stuff.

:rofl:
Out of all scholarship sports offered at Wyoming, wrestling has the highest nationwide high school participation per college scholarship awarded. In addition, there are only approximately 80 schools that sponsor wrestling at a D1 level. So any D1 wrestler is most likely at a very high level. I find it quite remarkable that Wyoming is able to recruit and develop wrestling athletes at such at a level. It is very relevant that Wyoming has had several world class level wrestlers recently. The only other sports that I can think of that have produced world class level talent recently are football and men's basketball - but those sports haven't seen the team success to the same extent.