NIL - Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Does the state legislature need to authorize NIL for UW athletes to benefit? This is so confusing to me...there are so many loopholes about to be exploited.

This could be the (first) step in disbanding of the NCAA as we know it.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

From what I understand, schools in states that have passed NIL laws must abide by those laws. In states without such laws, it's up to the schools and/or their conferences to set guidelines.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Good questions. I'm not fully opposed to this because I can see the upside for the student athletes.

However, there is obviously a pretty significant downside. I don't think it will matter what states or conferences say. This is a case of get on board or be left behind.

I'm not sure how detrimental it will be to small market schools but it won't help. I can certainly see how it can amplify the importance of market size. On the extreme "sky is falling end", I guess one possibility is that it devastates small market schools due to the lack of opportunity to capitalize on NIL.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I hope it creates huge riffs on the P5 teams where the qb for the Mickey Mouse spread offense gets money and all the talented people doing the real work on the line don’t get squat. All P5 football turns to poop
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

It'll be interesting to see if more kids stay in school. Obviously it won't matter to those with talent to go in the early rounds of the draft, but some of those kids that are predicted to go late in the draft might think about it. A rookie NFL contract is still better than most endorsement deals they'll sign, but if they are predicted to borderline make a squad, they might stay in college to take the guaranteed money. I'm thinking someone like Brian Hill. Obviously, he made the right decision regardless of NIL opportunities. However, let's say someone like him grades late round in their Junior year. In college, they can stay an extra year to hopefully improve draft status but now let's say he has $50K in NIL deals. Nowhere near a rookie contract ($600K+ if make roster), but would it help sway the decision to try another year in college versus rolling the dice to try to make NFL roster (practice squad is about $120K I think)?

I have no idea if $50K is even somewhat realistic for that type of player; who knows how much these kids will make.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.