12 Team Playoff

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

CFP Committee has recommended a 12 team playoff.
-Top 6 ranked conference champions qualify
-Top 6 ranked non-conference champions qualify
-Top 4 ranked conference champions get a bye
-Opening round will be played on higher ranked team's home field

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... eam-format

Last year would have looked like this:

I think this is as close to a perfect solution as could have come out of this. SEC still gets multiple teams. G5 guaranteed at least one slot. This is good all the way around!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

They need to allow only conference champions to go. Have 12 conferences and go from there. This will split up all these big schools that are forming super conferences and bring back amateur athletics to college football. That is how you fix this mess.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

DVDA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:39 pm They need to allow only conference champions to go. Have 12 conferences and go from there. This will split up all these big schools that are forming super conferences and bring back amateur athletics to college football. That is how you fix this mess.
The best way IMO is to take every conference champ, be it Sun belt, MWC or SEC. Then add allow “at large” bids. 12 or 16 doesn’t matter, but let all have a shot. Clearly at large bids would prob only go to the big boys, but this would create a March madness kinda buzz
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Craig Thompson finally did something good.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Vt poke wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:11 pm
DVDA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:39 pm They need to allow only conference champions to go. Have 12 conferences and go from there. This will split up all these big schools that are forming super conferences and bring back amateur athletics to college football. That is how you fix this mess.
The best way IMO is to take every conference champ, be it Sun belt, MWC or SEC. Then add allow “at large” bids. 12 or 16 doesn’t matter, but let all have a shot. Clearly at large bids would prob only go to the big boys, but this would create a March madness kinda buzz
The at large stuff promotes these super conferences. Taking only conference champions promotes conferences having a mixture of large and small programs. Any schools that want to stick to super conferences will pay the price of having slim odds of making the playoffs.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm Craig Thompson finally did something good.
That POS had little to do with it. He has never done anything good in my book. He is a waste of $$, and an awful visionary - in fact he isn't a visionary.

:whistle:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Unpopular opinion, but I don't think there are many years where beyond 1 G5 team deserves to be in a playoff. I understand the theory behind allowing all conference champs in, but practically, there just aren't that many good G5 times each year. The numerous other factors have created a much greater degree of separation between G5 and P5. If there is a year where 2 teams are deserving, I'd think they'd both be in the T12 and have a chance at both the AQ spot and at large spot. It would be very very rare to have more than 2 teams worthy of a T12 ranking. I understand the conference champ thing and the argument that having access for every conference would help narrow the gap. I get that, but I just don't think it is realistic or would really help close the gap that much.

I think the proposed 12 team playoff is the best we can hope for. It would be interesting to add a 2 or 4 team playoff from the G5 ranks to qualify for the 12 team playoff spot. This would allow teams to schedule big dogs without fear of a loss because you could still qualify for the 12 team playoff even if you have a loss.

I hope they do this.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 am Unpopular opinion, but I don't think there are many years where beyond 1 G5 team deserves to be in a playoff. I understand the theory behind allowing all conference champs in, but practically, there just aren't that many good G5 times each year. The numerous other factors have created a much greater degree of separation between G5 and P5. If there is a year where 2 teams are deserving, I'd think they'd both be in the T12 and have a chance at both the AQ spot and at large spot. It would be very very rare to have more than 2 teams worthy of a T12 ranking. I understand the conference champ thing and the argument that having access for every conference would help narrow the gap. I get that, but I just don't think it is realistic or would really help close the gap that much.

I think the proposed 12 team playoff is the best we can hope for. It would be interesting to add a 2 or 4 team playoff from the G5 ranks to qualify for the 12 team playoff spot. This would allow teams to schedule big dogs without fear of a loss because you could still qualify for the 12 team playoff even if you have a loss.

I hope they do this.
Agree, but if they put each conf champ into the playoff then would the effects be? The resources, good players, etc. would be spread out much more rather than concentrated in the P5. Would benefit everyone and we would have greater parity, which fans love.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:00 am
Agree, but if they put each conf champ into the playoff then would the effects be? The resources, good players, etc. would be spread out much more rather than concentrated in the P5. Would benefit everyone and we would have greater parity, which fans love.
I do get that and maybe you're right. I personally don't believe it would make that big of difference and it doesn't leave much room for at large bids. Besides, it won't happen. This is a move to drive more marquee matchups during the regular season (i.e. more TV revenue); 1 loss will no longer eliminate the big dogs.

I also think things are setting up for the G5 to get better recruits because P5 will be using fewer scholarships on freshman and using more in the transfer portal. We're about to be a farm league for the P5.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I agree, I would love to see at least two G5 teams in the playoff. I know there can't be any where near the amount of teams that are in the NCAA Basketball Tournament but that is what makes the NCAAT so exciting when a "chicken do little" knocks off a highly ranked basketball team. That's why, to me at least having at least two G5 schools in there would be cool and as you said bring back amateur athletics to college football.