What affect do you think Name, Image, Likeness (NIL) will have on college athletics?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I've all for the athlete benefiting from NIL. But I just don't know how it's going to impact many of the team sports. For example, if a team has a big time QB and he receives all sorts of endorsements and he comes driving up to practice in his brand new Vet and the offensive linemen that block for him get nothing or very little in terms of NIL. I just wonder if that would create a lot of animosity among teammates?

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

That in combination with the new transfer era will transform college football for the worse.

I get it and support the student athletes but it won't be better for the sport. It'll certainly be better for some individuals who can capitalize on it. They should have a right to do so. Students working/volunteering in a lab can be on patents and would be able to sell their likeness if they became famous for their work in the university. Coaches can do the same. Isolating student athletes doesn't seem fair and is really an attempt to cling to a false sense of amateurism.

It's not better for many of the reasons I like college football, but I do understand and support it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Gonna be a good time to make sure you don't have TikTok because it's about to get lit around college campuses. But really, look at how much money the NCAA made off guys like Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, and other CFB superstars. It's insane. Might as well let'em have a piece of their own pie.
ImageImageImageImage
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:08 pm I've all for the athlete benefiting from NIL. But I just don't know how it's going to impact many of the team sports. For example, if a team has a big time QB and he receives all sorts of endorsements and he comes driving up to practice in his brand new Vet and the offensive linemen that block for him get nothing or very little in terms of NIL. I just wonder if that would create a lot of animosity among teammates?

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I think the potential is there, and I think the school/team/players/boosters would be best served in thinking how to get their lineman in on it. Of course it all depends on the rules that come out and just how separated the school has to be from it.

I can see the potential for distraction for some athletes, whereas other athletes would be able to manage. I guess in the end a player who is responsible, works hard, and respects and looks after his team will be able to avoid generating that animosity. For that sort of player I think NIL could be a net bonus to the team. A player who can't keep his ego in check, and acts poorly in the locker room, well I think NIL could be adding fuel to the fire in that situation.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

I think the biggest change will be to the high school recruits and the G5. I don't know how much it will shift, but I could see the P5 holding out more scholarships each year in order to hit the transfer portal. The P5 may have even more lure by being able to recruit transfers based upon the amount of money the transfer can make with NIL.

On one hand, it might make more high quality recruits available to G5 because P5 is holding back scholarships, but the G5 might be like the 2 or 1 and done scenario seen in college basketball and the NBA. I do worry that it will amplify the discrepancy in college athletics based on market size.

With all that said, I think to WYO, it poses more risk than reward because we hang our hat on identifying and developing talent. NIL provides an additional carrot to entice elite players to leave the program for larger market P5 teams. If there are more players available due to P5 holding back scholarships, I'm not sure it will change our recruiting classes that much, but could certainly provide us access to more highly ranked recruits?

Overall, for us, I don't think it is a good thing. Like I said, I still support it though.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I’d prefer the NFL just start a minor league system.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I’d prefer the NFL just start a minor league system.
W-Y, Until I Die!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:12 pm I’d prefer the NFL just start a minor league system.
I really think they should.