After 1 year of college athletics, any heart cases?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

At the start of reopening college athletics, the chicken littles were screaming about heart risks and COVID.

I haven't heard much about it since then. Did the experts miss on their dire predictions or did the media stop reporting on it?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

The athletes were regularly tested and those who tested positive had a strict return-to-play protocol to follow to prevent such an event with the heart.

Since the above is true, it's impossible to say if the chicken littles were correct or not. No incidences could mean the worry was not justified, or it could mean the protocols put in place did what they were supposed to .
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... art-issues

This was studied. Covid apparently caused myocarditis in 0.7% of athletes. Is 0.7% an acceptable rate? I don't know. Seems that the protocols worked for those 0.7% by largely preventing death or serious complications but who knows what the outcomes would have been like without the protocols and who knows the long term impacts. The risk was largely disclosed to college athletes so I don't see how one would complain after the fact if they developed myocarditis.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:11 pm At the start of reopening college athletics, the chicken littles were screaming about heart risks and COVID.

I haven't heard much about it since then. Did the experts miss on their dire predictions or did the media stop reporting on it?
Yup completely overblown
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:05 am https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... art-issues

This was studied. Covid apparently caused myocarditis in 0.7% of athletes. Is 0.7% an acceptable rate? I don't know. Seems that the protocols worked for those 0.7% by largely preventing death or serious complications but who knows what the outcomes would have been like without the protocols and who knows the long term impacts. The risk was largely disclosed to college athletes so I don't see how one would complain after the fact if they developed myocarditis.
Good read. Thought this was a great point:
"If you look around the nation, there's 8 million high school athletes with maybe an infection rate of 10%. College probably an infection rate of 20%. And we're just not hearing about these adverse events," Drezner said. "That's also indirectly sort of reassuring."
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:48 pm The athletes were regularly tested and those who tested positive had a strict return-to-play protocol to follow to prevent such an event with the heart.

Since the above is true, it's impossible to say if the chicken littles were correct or not. No incidences could mean the worry was not justified, or it could mean the protocols put in place did what they were supposed to .
I pray there is no permanent harm to any of the athletes or anyone else for that matter that contracted Covid. But I wonder if we even know what long term effects the virus may have on those that did have Covid?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Really, it just looks like a cute myocarditis observed in several viruses and even after vaccinations in some cases. COVID acute myocarditis rates might even be lower than some other more common viruses.
My guess is that's why it went away.