New O-Line Coach

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Sounds like a good one! I especially like that he watched successful Wyoming teams growing up.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Welcome to Wyoming
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

He gone.. hired by vandy
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Don't let the door hit ya, Good Riddance
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:39 pm Don't let the door hit ya, Good Riddance
Are we happy he's gone??...Was he a good hire? If he was a good hire...then this sux and is a symptom of the system that keeps UW and schools in UW's position outside of the elite. I feel like we have to pick a lane here. Does the constant coaching talent flow from low paying schools to higher affect success or not? Does a HC control that? Does an AD control that?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:20 am
stymeman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:39 pm Don't let the door hit ya, Good Riddance
Are we happy he's gone??...Was he a good hire? If he was a good hire...then this sux and is a symptom of the system that keeps UW and schools in UW's position outside of the elite. I feel like we have to pick a lane here. Does the constant coaching talent flow from low paying schools to higher affect success or not? Does a HC control that? Does an AD control that?
I'm happy he is gone. I certainly respect everyone's right to advance in their careers. However, no matter how good of a coach he may be, if he was willing to leave Wyoming without coaching a single game, he certainly didn't have much of a commitment to us or much of a passion for Wyoming. Personally, I can't imagine accepting a job and not even sticking it out for a month before taking another job.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:21 am
I'm happy he is gone. I certainly respect everyone's right to advance in their careers. However, no matter how good of a coach he may be, if he was willing to leave Wyoming without coaching a single game, he certainly didn't have much of a commitment to us or much of a passion for Wyoming. Personally, I can't imagine accepting a job and not even sticking it out for a month before taking another job.
Oredigger, I totally get this sentiment...and for 99% of the folks out there I think it is how they approach life. That being said...how much is passion and commitment worth at Wyoming? or anywhere else for that matter? I'm asking specifically in the context of athletics. It seems like ability and talent is prized everywhere ... but in sports, talent and ability commands such a premium that it distorts the notions of commitment and loyalty. I work in the AE industry and the difference in the top earners in my position and me is not enough to encourage the kind of mobility you see in athletics. I'm like you in that I can't really see a scenario where I would accept another job before even a month at the old job...but that is mostly because the scenario where I have two offers would never have much of a difference in compensation. Once you get into 1.5x or 2x or higher...the thought experiment kind of breaks down.

Regardless of how you and I feel about notions of commitment, passion, and loyalty, the fact on the ground is that coaches at all levels are completely mercenary in the modern landscape of athletics. The reasons that this has come about are largely irrelevant. Wyoming and schools like Wyoming cannot afford to keep talent. This has probably always been the case, but it has become extreme in a way that I feel is keeping us from being the type of program we all want to be. Wyoming has become small-time in a way that is hard to put my finger on. This is not isolated to just Wyoming. If BSU does not get into a power conference, I believe it's brand will slide as well. Look at the flow of coaching talent in college football...it is away from schools outside of the Power conferences and it is flowing faster and faster.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Who cares really. He’s gone and he’s a turd.

He has every right to advance his career and I have every right to call him a wanker.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Screw this guy. No character
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

While I'm sure it pays more I wouldn't call Vanderbilt advancing your "career" It's a coaching graveyard.
I'm good for 3!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

"Wanker"
"no character"
"don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

Ok great...nobody address the elephant in the room. Let's set non-criminal character issues aside for a minute....can none of you see the pattern of talent leaving Wyoming or skipping it entirely? Maybe this guy is a bum and everybody that thought he was a good line coach is wrong...even if that is the case it dodges the issue. How many legitimately good defensive coordinators have we lost? Good coaches have used Wyoming as a stepping stone forever but now it seems that the "step" is lasting one season or less. This is not good.
Last edited by 307bball on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

This isn't a comment either way on Blazek leaving, just an FYI.

At Wyoming, he was likely going to make around $150,000/year.

At Vanderbilt, he will likely be making around $500,000/year.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Laramie @ $150K or Nashville @ $500K. Hmm... Seems like a toss-up.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:08 pm Laramie @ $150K or Nashville @ $500K. Hmm... Seems like a toss-up.
Also, just an FYI...Nashville is 5% more expensive cost of living in Laramie, so $150K in Laramie would be equivalent to $158K in Nashville.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:24 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:08 pm Laramie @ $150K or Nashville @ $500K. Hmm... Seems like a toss-up.
Also, just an FYI...Nashville is 5% more expensive cost of living in Laramie, so $150K in Laramie would be equivalent to $158K in Nashville.
My point was the "quality of life" issue.