You think BSU is gone?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

The bsu and aac chatter has been pretty consistent. I'm pretty certain they won't be in the MWC much longer. Other than further weakening an already terrible MWC, I don't think it has too much of a fallout.

Yeah, a few talking heads raving about crap and a reduction in already relatively small TV money, but nothing major. There should be very few excuses for not making a MWC Championship game without bsu in the mix.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Unfortunately no I don’t think Boise is gone. The Boise brand has lost a lot of its luster. The MWC screwed up years ago by giving Boise its deal and now they are stuck with them and this terrible deal.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Hate BYU, Hate TCU, Hate Utah....and still...I recognize that Wyoming had higher standing when they played in a conference that included them. Conference championships mean a lot within the conference, but what they mean outside of the conference is dependent on (percieved) overall conference strength. A MWC conference title will always mean less than a SEC title or a B1G title....If the best team in the MWC (BSU) leaves, the MWC title will mean less...no way to sugarcoat it. This is the gatekeeping mechanism that the big time college football institutions are using to lock the G5 teams out of the most lucrative postseason events...this has been going on forever. I felt like there was a moment that could have upset that stranglehold when Utah, and TCU were undeniably on a level with the big guys and it was looking increasingly ridiculous to keep them out....but they just got absorbed and everything went back to normal.

Wyoming, and the MWC in general will always be on the outside looking in. I don't see a way around it.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

307bball wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:00 am Hate BYU, Hate TCU, Hate Utah....and still...I recognize that Wyoming had higher standing when they played in a conference that included them. Conference championships mean a lot within the conference, but what they mean outside of the conference is dependent on (percieved) overall conference strength. A MWC conference title will always mean less than a SEC title or a B1G title....If the best team in the MWC (BSU) leaves, the MWC title will mean less...no way to sugarcoat it. This is the gatekeeping mechanism that the big time college football institutions are using to lock the G5 teams out of the most lucrative postseason events...this has been going on forever. I felt like there was a moment that could have upset that stranglehold when Utah, and TCU were undeniably on a level with the big guys and it was looking increasingly ridiculous to keep them out....but they just got absorbed and everything went back to normal.

Wyoming, and the MWC in general will always be on the outside looking in. I don't see a way around it.
I say good riddance. Fact is, even when Boise was at its apex of success, they were never seriously considered for the BCS or the Playoff. If the likes of Cincinnati and others can't get in after their success in 2020 - Boise isn't going to change the dynamic for us or the AAC. Any G5 team or conference that thinks that the P5 are going to expand the pie is living in fantasy land. What is more likely is that the P5 close ranks around four 16 or so team leagues that roll up to the four in the Playoff. Contraction, in the face of declining cable and other TV revenue, will be the order of the day...not expansion. Look for a Big 64 and then the rest of us. And Boise, BYU and anyone else with an ill conceived, self-perpetuating superiority complex will just be left disappointed (and maybe financially in a bind after they foresake their olympic sports and sign on for bigger travel budgets and other stuff to keep up with the Joneses). At this point, even the likes of Kansas, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vandy, Rutgers, Maryland, Utah, Arizona, Washington State, Wake, NC State, Cal and a bunch of others had better be polishing up their resumes so they can have a shot of getting a ticket to the big boy party.

So, back to Boise, go ahead. Leave. Move your olympic sports to a lesser league as you eye the Fool's Gold of hoping to finally be accepted by the rich, popular kids. It. Will. Never. Happen. Novelty (and Blue Turf) becomes kitschy soon enough...and will never lead to full membership at Bushwood.
Last edited by LawPoke on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

If they can make the AAC work, then I guess they are welcome to go. But there were reasons it didn't work out as they thought for the former Big East. That should make us more worried about who they think they'd take with them to the AAC. SDSU, as before?

In general, my sense is Boise is in a mild decline and that will continue for some time. So now or never, for them.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LawPoke wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:34 am
307bball wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:00 am Hate BYU, Hate TCU, Hate Utah....and still...I recognize that Wyoming had higher standing when they played in a conference that included them. Conference championships mean a lot within the conference, but what they mean outside of the conference is dependent on (percieved) overall conference strength. A MWC conference title will always mean less than a SEC title or a B1G title....If the best team in the MWC (BSU) leaves, the MWC title will mean less...no way to sugarcoat it. This is the gatekeeping mechanism that the big time college football institutions are using to lock the G5 teams out of the most lucrative postseason events...this has been going on forever. I felt like there was a moment that could have upset that stranglehold when Utah, and TCU were undeniably on a level with the big guys and it was looking increasingly ridiculous to keep them out....but they just got absorbed and everything went back to normal.

I say good riddance. Fact is, even when Boise what at its apex of success, they were never seriously considered for the BCS or the Playoff. If the likes of Cincinnati and others can't get in after their success in 2020 - Boise isn't going to change the dynamic for us or the AAC. Any G5 team or conference that thinks that the P5 are going to expand the pie is living in fantasy land. What is more likely is that the P5 close ranks around four 16 or so team leagues that roll up to the four in the Playoff. Contraction, in the face of declining cable and other TV revenue, will be the order of the day...not expansion. Look for a Big 64 and then the rest of us. And Boise, BYU and anyone else with an ill conceived, self-perpetuating superiority complex will just be left disappointed (and maybe financially in a bind after they foresake their olympic sports and sign on for bigger travel budgets and other stuff to keep up with the Joneses). At this point, even the likes of Kansas, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vandy, Rutgers, Maryland, Utah, Arizona, Washington State, Wake, NC State, Cal and a bunch of others had better be polishing up their resumes so they can have a shot of getting a ticket to the big boy party.

So, back to Boise, go ahead. Leave. Move your olympic sports to a lesser league as you eye the Fool's Gold of hoping to finally be accepted by the rich, popular kids. It. Will. Never. Happen. Novelty (and Blue Turf) becomes kitschy soon enough...and will never lead to full membership at Bushwood.
I don't use the words "good riddance" but my sentiment is exactly the same...anytime you have a relationship, personal or business, in which one party wants out...don't wait...make the split.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

There just isn't a good fit for Boise outside of the MWC. No way the Pac-12 would ever consider them because of their academics, same with the Big Ten. AAC is a possibility but how much more does that give them? Does the benefit of them joining the AAC offset the detriment to their other programs that would likely end up in the West Coast conference.

I think Boise's only real hope at making a jump is to the Big XII. Not as large a footprint as AAC would be, less of a restriction on the academic side ala the PAC and B1G. But would the Big XII want them? Kind of doubt they would bring enough to make it truly beneficial for the conference as a whole. Basically, unless they can significantly improve their academics in the next 20 years, I don't think they are going anywhere that would truly benefit them and their new conference.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

They are staying put. And their brand is declining. They ain't going nowhere.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:00 pm They are staying put. And their brand is declining. They ain't going nowhere.
And looks like they're going to be looking for a new coach. Didn't see this one coming

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

303cowboy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:46 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:00 pm They are staying put. And their brand is declining. They ain't going nowhere.
And looks like they're going to be looking for a new coach. Didn't see this one coming

That will take all the wind out of their sails. Harsin was the one pushing for them to go to the AAC.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Will eat crow if I am wrong, but this is going to be very short lived. They are going to run Harsin out of town so quick once they realize how far in over his head he will be in the SEC. I give it 2.5 seasons.

On the larger note, MWC vs AAC vs Sun Belt and others is ultimately a distraction from the reality that every G5 school from Boise and downward is facing an existential threat from the CFP scam and the media/network/financial system set up around it. It's a poop sandwich and everybody knows, but we're just supposed to accept it. The endgame is to force the G5 to take their ball and go home to their own playoff so that the charade can just end. I hope it never happens and that us consumers play our part in forcing change. I for one will not be watching any of the bowl season with the exception of the good G5 teams, and I certainly won't be watching the sham CFP semifinals, which will yield the exact outcome we ALL know and turn in a poop product for how many years in a row now?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Will eat crow if I am wrong, but this is going to be very short lived. They are going to run Harsin out of town so quick once they realize how far in over his head he will be in the SEC. I give it 2.5 seasons.

On the larger note, MWC vs AAC vs Sun Belt and others is ultimately a distraction from the reality that every G5 school from Boise and downward is facing an existential threat from the CFP scam and the media/network/financial system set up around it. It's a Sh#t sandwich and everybody knows, but we're just supposed to accept it. The endgame is to force the G5 to take their ball and go home to their own playoff so that the charade can just end. I hope it never happens and that us consumers play our part in forcing change. I for one will not be watching any of the bowl season with the exception of the good G5 teams, and I certainly won't be watching the sham CFP semifinals, which will yield the exact outcome we ALL know and turn in a Sh#t product for how many years in a row now?
This X 1,000.

Nailed it.

I haven't watched any of the playoff games for about 3 years now. The last one I remember paying any attention to was when Ohio State beat Alabama.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:26 pm On the larger note, MWC vs AAC vs Sun Belt and others is ultimately a distraction from the reality that every G5 school from Boise and downward is facing an existential threat from the CFP scam and the media/network/financial system set up around it. It's a Sh#t sandwich and everybody knows, but we're just supposed to accept it. The endgame is to force the G5 to take their ball and go home to their own playoff so that the charade can just end. I hope it never happens and that us consumers play our part in forcing change. I for one will not be watching any of the bowl season with the exception of the good G5 teams, and I certainly won't be watching the sham CFP semifinals, which will yield the exact outcome we ALL know and turn in a Sh#t product for how many years in a row now?
Exactly! For BSU (or whomever is perceived to be just outside of that power structure), it probably feels like you are thisclose to the big time....but ultimately, there is just no way to force your way in.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:34 am

I say good riddance. Fact is, even when Boise was at its apex of success, they were never seriously considered for the BCS or the Playoff. If the likes of Cincinnati and others can't get in after their success in 2020 - Boise isn't going to change the dynamic for us or the AAC. Any G5 team or conference that thinks that the P5 are going to expand the pie is living in fantasy land. What is more likely is that the P5 close ranks around four 16 or so team leagues that roll up to the four in the Playoff. Contraction, in the face of declining cable and other TV revenue, will be the order of the day...not expansion. Look for a Big 64 and then the rest of us. And Boise, BYU and anyone else with an ill conceived, self-perpetuating superiority complex will just be left disappointed (and maybe financially in a bind after they foresake their olympic sports and sign on for bigger travel budgets and other stuff to keep up with the Joneses). At this point, even the likes of Kansas, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vandy, Rutgers, Maryland, Utah, Arizona, Washington State, Wake, NC State, Cal and a bunch of others had better be polishing up their resumes so they can have a shot of getting a ticket to the big boy party.

You’re right on the money.

I also don’t watch much of the cfp because I can only watch Clemson, Alabama, Ohio st and a rando play in a 4 team playoff each year. You know what I would watch? I’d watch Cincinnati, coastal Caroline or UCF (when they went undefeated) play in the playoff because that’s interesting. There’s nothing interesting about Alabama making the playoff every year. The NCAA should be looking for more parity, not less. Every pro sport has mechanisms to achieve parity, not to get rid of it.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Isn't it the biggest joke that after being absolutely crushed the week prior by Clemson, Notre Dame finds themselves in the playoff w/ Clemson. Like, isn't it obvious that ND is NOT in the running for best team in college football. Wasn't that definitively proven? The whole thing is as corrupt as our federal government.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:33 am Isn't it the biggest joke that after being absolutely crushed the week prior by Clemson, Notre Dame finds themselves in the playoff w/ Clemson. Like, isn't it obvious that ND is NOT in the running for best team in college football. Wasn't that definitively proven? The whole thing is as corrupt as our federal government.
ND probably got in by paying millions of dollars to promote american football amongst the LGBTQ community in Pakistan.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:33 am Isn't it the biggest joke that after being absolutely crushed the week prior by Clemson, Notre Dame finds themselves in the playoff w/ Clemson. Like, isn't it obvious that ND is NOT in the running for best team in college football. Wasn't that definitively proven? The whole thing is as corrupt as our federal government.
Yeah it is a joke look at the rankings.

3 - Ohio State only 6 games in a down division. Only played 2 teams with a winning record. (Best win Indiana, no losses)
4- Notre Dame - blew out by Clemson on neutral field (Best win - tight win depleted Clemson, worst loss - blowout to Healthy Clemson)
5-Texas A&M - blew out by Alabama (granted at Alabama but still 52-24 is 52-24) and outisde of Alabama and Florida not a tough schedule really only two currently ranked teams (Best win Florida at home, worst loss blow out at Alabama)
6-Oklahoma - 2 losses with one against unranked Kansas State (Best win Iowa St, worst loss Kansas State)
7 - Florida - 3 losses and one against a not so good LSU (Best win Georgia, worst loss LSU)
8-Cinci 9-0 - 3 games against T-25 ranked opponents (at the time of the game) and they are still behind 2 and 3 loss "P5" teams. (Best win Tulsa - no losses)
12 C Carlolina 11-0 with two wins against currently T25 ranked opponents. I despise BYU, but this year they are better than Kansas St and LSU. I would also favor BYU against Northwestern as well. (Best win - BYU - no losses)

Would Cinci and C Carolina have been ranked ahead of some of these with a big OOC win, perhaps but I wouldn't hold my breath. Yeah, it was a wacky season but that two undeafeated "G5" teams are ranked below multiple 2 and 3 loss "P5" teams is the writing on the wall. If this doesn't show that there is no way for a AAC, MWC, SBC, MAC, CUSA team to make it in, I don't know what would. I am not arguing C Carolina should be #4, #5, or even #6, but #12?

I am almost at the point of saying the heck with it, blow it up.

And I don't know if the casual ND fan is really interested in watching them get massacred by Bama for another time.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

People need to stop recognizing the legitimacy of both. A decimated viewing audience would erase a lot of money from sponsors. 100M Americans refusing to file their taxes would cripple the IRS.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

I see people there as deluded as BYU fans, so they may go, but I think they'll see similar results. i.e. still playing a lot of MWC teams and playing in minor bowls.