Craig Bohl end of season press conference....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Sounds like COVID messed with Bohl all year long.

When are we getting our new OC??
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:06 pm When are we getting our new OC??
I have a better shot of having "fun" with a bunch of adult tv stars than Wyoming getting rid of Vigen without losing Bohl!!!!!! :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
CowboyX
Buckaroo

I like what he has pointed out. he has set himself up as the lightning rod - which any good exec will always do. he's protecting the players and the staff. bohl is doing the right thing.

we know things need to improve. we have most of our 3rd string defense in all season and stifle the competition. that's a beauty. he's tough on defense. and he has figured out the formula quite well - tough front 7 - and a fast 4.

the offense sucks. it is a power run offense that just engages all 22 players on the field and any given time. the goal is to wear 11 of them out constantly.

bohl's going to fix this. and his philosophy has kept us in games, won the games, dominated the games, and of course, lost the games.

I'm surprised that so many people think that him and vigen are twins that can't be torn apart. Thats not true. Vigen was a qb for him about 20 years ago and did a well enough job to win a few fcs championships.

He will do what he has to do. He won't leave vigen behind yet - he is the assistant head coach. You don't fire your assistant without some reason.

The man has integrity. Hell, he covered all of the spring sports scholarships earlier this year.

Bohl will get this done. How? He is motivated. He loves Laramie (probably loves the money). But he is also a guy that might just live here well past retirement like Roach did.

in this f-word up year, i'll be honest, the fact that he took 100k and paid for all scholorships for the spring teams, and does what he is doing, and says he is going to do, we are lucky

If he leaves, we will pay someone more money. They will suck. And we will suck.

Let's forget this year and have a great next year. Hell, the entire staff gets an entire year off from production and get to spend that time developing everyone he has. Remember, the players he recruits, he see's something in, but he develops them.

Anyways - quit being asses. we could suck alot worse.. Bohl has the right mentality
SheepSlayer
Buckaroo

CowboyX wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:46 pm
He will do what he has to do. He won't leave vigen behind yet - he is the assistant head coach. You don't fire your assistant without some reason.
Have you watched our offense try to play football? I would qualify that as “some reason”. Keep him on as assistant HC if you want but keep him as far away from our offense as possible.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Vigen was not a QB for Bohl.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

I thought it was interesting that he again brought up "what we can do". I'm wondering if that is referencing bad play calls from the perspective of playing to your weaknesses or if it could be referencing an overly complex system? Either way, I thought that was interesting.

I did feel like he was a bit more forthcoming in this interview. He definitely gave quite a bit of coach talk as expected, but didn't seem to hide from the inefficient passing game as much as he has in the past. He quickly pointed to improving throwing mechanics; that will be interesting to see if they can actually do that. It doesn't seem to be one of their strengths in the past.

I think Vigen is equivalent to Stanard but it's obviously up to Bohl. I do think Bohl has earned the benefit of the doubt. That said, he can't continue to field 1 dimensional offenses. He knows that and I felt like he acknowledged it. What I'm worried about is that I got the feeling he believes they just didn't work and prepare hard enough. He knows more than me by light years, but I just don't know that the same group of coaches in the same roles have the ability to get the offense on track. We'll see.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

CowboyX wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:46 pm I like what he has pointed out. he has set himself up as the lightning rod - which any good exec will always do. he's protecting the players and the staff. bohl is doing the right thing.

we know things need to improve. we have most of our 3rd string defense in all season and stifle the competition. that's a beauty. he's tough on defense. and he has figured out the formula quite well - tough front 7 - and a fast 4.

the offense sucks. it is a power run offense that just engages all 22 players on the field and any given time. the goal is to wear 11 of them out constantly.

bohl's going to fix this. and his philosophy has kept us in games, won the games, dominated the games, and of course, lost the games.

I'm surprised that so many people think that him and vigen are twins that can't be torn apart. Thats not true. Vigen was a qb for him about 20 years ago and did a well enough job to win a few fcs championships.

The man has integrity. Hell, he covered all of the spring sports scholarships earlier this year.

Bohl will get this done. How? He is motivated. He loves Laramie (probably loves the money). But he is also a guy that might just live here well past retirement like Roach did.

in this f##k[#] up year, i'll be honest, the fact that he took 100k and paid for all scholorships for the spring teams, and does what he is doing, and says he is going to do, we are lucky

Let's forget this year and have a great next year. Hell, the entire staff gets an entire year off from production and get to spend that time developing everyone he has. Remember, the players he recruits, he see's something in, but he develops them.

Anyways - quit being asses. we could suck alot worse.. Bohl has the right mentality
You don’t fire your assistant without a reason? How about the offense is horrific every year? Is that a reason?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

CowboyX wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:46 pm
This has got to be a wife or friend of someone on the coaching staff.

Anyway, are you serious? Having one of the worst offenses in college football isn't a good reason to can your OC? Are you serious??? Our offense is embarrassing
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Doesn't sound like Bohl is going welcome back with open arms the guys that opted-out. If he doesn't allow back the guys that decided not to play, the D is going to take a huge hit. Byrd, Mora, Weber, and Wells-Ross would likely have taken the D up another notch, and it's going to suck if he just gives them the boot. He also seemed especially upset with Swen who got Covid and then opted-out.

Not sure why he's so upset. It's a fake-ass season and doesn't count towards eligibility anyways. The MW champ is going to have an asterisk next to their name (and I would have felt the same if UW won it).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PokeNer wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:52 am Doesn't sound like Bohl is going welcome back with open arms the guys that opted-out. If he doesn't allow back the guys that decided not to play, the D is going to take a huge hit. Byrd, Mora, Weber, and Wells-Ross would likely have taken the D up another notch, and it's going to suck if he just gives them the boot. He also seemed especially upset with Swen who got Covid and then opted-out.

Not sure why he's so upset. It's a fake-ass season and doesn't count towards eligibility anyways. The MW champ is going to have an asterisk next to their name (and I would have felt the same if UW won it).
I was pissed about the guys opting out too. I think it was chicken poop. BUT Bohl needs to swallow his pride and work to get these guys back. We need them. Time heals all wounds.
clytanic
Buckaroo

CowboyX wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:46 pm I like what he has pointed out. he has set himself up as the lightning rod - which any good exec will always do. he's protecting the players and the staff. bohl is doing the right thing.

in this f##k[#] up year, i'll be honest, the fact that he took 100k and paid for all scholorships for the spring teams, and does what he is doing, and says he is going to do, we are lucky

I have followed this site for years, always had a handle, and never used it until today. Year in/year out the same type of post is made supporting Bohl and always either starts and/or ends with calling everyone else a name or two. It comes in many fashions but still the same undertone...

1) Nobody is smart enough to understand what is being done.
2) There were championships won in ND...he knows what he is doing.
3) The team had challenges placed upon them (WR drops, no QB, injuries, pandemic, etc).
4) Stability is the goal (having not been achieved), but wait until next year.
5) Its very hard to recruit to Laramie, be happy for not being in the Big Sky or being even worse at football.

I could keep going, but this pretty well sums it all up over the years. My biggest issue with the entire situation is that this is not a trend, I believe it is a problem that needs to be remediated. The offense, if simply average could allow for an even stronger defense since they could rest. The statistics are beyond abysmal. If I rated in the bottom 10% of my job for more than 1 year, there would be serious ramifications associated with it. I probably would not be employed after year two, let alone 4 years. I cannot reflect upon what I did 8-10 years ago, and still consider myself a success.

While intrigued, I don't think anyone needs removed from the staff. I do think that the play calling needs to be innovated, and certain individuals may have hit their ceiling. There cannot be the same 15-20 plays (on a good day) being utilized no matter how many times play action is attempted to the same 4-5 routes being run.

As someone who has held season tickets since my graduation date in 2004, and donated well over my fair share of money to CJC for a crappy pre-game lunch every year I do expect to compete and win. A losing record, one big win, and more than enough 3 & outs over 8 years is not that. At the same time, I would love to entertain what you do believe would be beneficial to assist in this, but without name calling and using the same argument that I have viewed over the last 4-5 years. What can be done? What training can be conducted to assist in effective reviews of personnel? What baseline of success in these interviews/reviews?

Signed,

A pretty damn successful Little League Coach (5 district titles, 2 state titles, 1 regional title, 97% win percentage)
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Quotes that stuck out to me:

Being ball control doesn’t mean that you can’t complete passes

There are some on this board that need to hear that.
I’m more frustrated than I ever have been
Words can just be words but you have to put them in action
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

PokeNer wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:52 am Doesn't sound like Bohl is going welcome back with open arms the guys that opted-out. If he doesn't allow back the guys that decided not to play, the D is going to take a huge hit. Byrd, Mora, Weber, and Wells-Ross would likely have taken the D up another notch, and it's going to suck if he just gives them the boot. He also seemed especially upset with Swen who got Covid and then opted-out.

We definitely need those guys back.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

The University could very well run into some legal trouble if they're discriminating against players that opted out due to health concerns. I'd tread lightly on this subject if I were Bohl.