Game thoughts (excuses)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

So I've got some thoughts (excuses) for why we lost.

-It was a short week, plus we didn't get to practice because of the Election Day ban on practicing on that day.

-We didn't have any film of Adazzio's offense with O'Brien at QB. It's tough to prep on a short week with no film. Next time they won't be so lucky.

-Can't turn it over. We have been losing the TO battle this year. We won't win many games if that continues. They've not bounced our way yet, but it'll even out.

-Defense is hanging in there. We have tons of injuries on the DL and the opt outs have KILLED us. despite that I feel they've played well enough to win in each game. W/o the injuries and opt out I think we would probably be undefeated.

-New DC and staff. It'll take a while to get dialed in for them. Just takes time after the D got gutted by graduation and coaches getting hired away.

-O line injuries. Stofer and Velazquez are out. Those are big pieces to lose going into the season. It's been a shuffle

- It's a weird to play with no fans and just a weird season overall
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

1st Down. Run up the middle. [drops mic]
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:42 am 1st Down. Run up the middle. [drops mic]
lol. my post could have probably been boiled down into that. :|
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

I feel like if this team plays clean and disciplined... They beat the bottom half of the conference handily, but if they don't... Well... Look no further than last night. I definitely would love to see a more creative offense but the reason we lost last night was the two terrible turnovers on the first two drives and some bonehead penalties that kept us from coming back.

I hate to say it here (and be ripped apart by vigen-haters), but there is a case to be made for being even more conservative, particularly early in games. If Levi never drops back to pass in that first quarter... We probably win that game. That won't beat Boise... But it will work against teams that need help to beat us.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:14 am
Wyovanian wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:42 am 1st Down. Run up the middle. [drops mic]
lol. my post could have probably been boiled down into that. :|
I would trade first down runs up the middle for that first quarter all day!... As I said in my other post...CSU needed our help to beat us and we gave it to them.

*Edit...I mean ALL downs runs up the middle!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

307bball wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am I feel like if this team plays clean and disciplined... They beat the bottom half of the conference handily, but if they don't... Well... Look no further than last night. I definitely would love to see a more creative offense but the reason we lost last night was the two terrible turnovers on the first two drives and some bonehead penalties that kept us from coming back.

I hate to say it here (and be ripped apart by vigen-haters), but there is a case to be made for being even more conservative, particularly early in games. If Levi never drops back to pass in that first quarter... We probably win that game. That won't beat Boise... But it will work against teams that need help to beat us.
While I get what you're saying, both the fumble and interception happened on 3rd and long because of play calling/penalties on earlier downs. That's what conservatism gets us. In the first case CSU dropped 8 guys in to coverage and planted them at the first down marker, and Levi made a terrible decision. After the fumble they realized they could also just send the blitz, which they continued to do all game long. Most of our big passing plays came as Levi was getting knocked on his ass.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:27 am
307bball wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am I feel like if this team plays clean and disciplined... They beat the bottom half of the conference handily, but if they don't... Well... Look no further than last night. I definitely would love to see a more creative offense but the reason we lost last night was the two terrible turnovers on the first two drives and some bonehead penalties that kept us from coming back.

While I get what you're saying, both the fumble and interception happened on 3rd and long because of play calling/penalties on earlier downs. That's what conservatism gets us. In the first case CSU dropped 8 guys in to coverage and planted them at the first down marker, and Levi made a terrible decision. After the fumble they realized they could also just send the blitz, which they continued to do all game long. Most of our big passing plays came as Levi was getting knocked on his A$$.
Right... And there is no law stating that just because you are in third and long in the first quarter that you have to call any thing but a qb sneak. I'm just saying the case can be made... And that it is probably good enough to beat the bottom two thirds of the mwc. Ultimately...my preference is for a team that goes out and wins games... But games can be won by taking as few chances as possible while waiting for the other team to make a mistake....
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 am -O line injuries. Stofer and Velazquez are out. Those are big pieces to lose going into the season. It's been a shuffle
Logan Harris was out last night too, I believe.
ImageImageImageImage
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

It was the two TOs that did us in. Our offense actually put up better numbers and had a better TOP than the sheep did. Wipe out even one of those TOs, its a different ball game, even with all the other issues going on.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:03 pm It was the two TOs that did us in. Our offense actually put up better numbers and had a better TOP than the sheep did. Wipe out even one of those TOs, its a different ball game, even with all the other issues going on.
That is truly stunning...it felt like we got dominated all night but it was really more about the hole we dug in the first quarter.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Just can’t get the first down thing out of my head. We absolutely suck on first down and get in a hole ever series. Like, it would be difficult to call it so we get fewer yards if you tried. It’s unbelievable how bad we are on first down. What play do we call on first down? I think they’ve figured it out by now
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:23 pm Just can’t get the first down thing out of my head. We absolutely suck on first down and get in a hole ever series. Like, it would be difficult to call it so we get fewer yards if you tried. It’s unbelievable how bad we are on first down. What play do we call on first down? I think they’ve figured it out by now
That is hilarious...I love the thought of a coach wondering "what would we have to do to get less yards?" Lol.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:23 pm Just can’t get the first down thing out of my head. We absolutely suck on first down and get in a hole ever series. Like, it would be difficult to call it so we get fewer yards if you tried. It’s unbelievable how bad we are on first down. What play do we call on first down? I think they’ve figured it out by now
We had receivers running free all over the field. They have a lousy secondary and they were just daring us to throw. But well show em. We'll run it up the middle even if they run blitz all night long. Of course, it doesn't help when a long completion gets negated by the receiver spinning the ball on the field. We had 90 yards in penalties last night. It's no accident we've lost 7 straight road games.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Another thought: CSU is used to playing in front of no fans. We are not. Advantage sheep
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:48 pm
We had receivers running free all over the field. They have a lousy secondary and they were just daring us to throw. But well show em. We'll run it up the middle even if they run blitz all night long. Of course, it doesn't help when a long completion gets negated by the receiver spinning the ball on the field. We had 90 yards in penalties last night. It's no accident we've lost 7 straight road games.
That was a pretty tricky tack call. I know they have a conference mandate to crack down on taunting but that was a bit extreme.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

[/quote
So, apparently spinning the ball is “unsportsmanlike”. There are all kinds of celebratory activities all the time. What exactly is the line they can’t cross? I’m too lazy to look it up.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

HR_Poke wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:58 pm
That was a pretty tricky tack call. I know they have a conference mandate to crack down on taunting but that was a bit extreme.
Seems weird that a defender can straddle an opposing player after a TFL and fist pump and flex in his face, but spinning a ball is taunting.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

What if we accepted we are a slightly above average football program, and went all in on basketball and tried to become the next Gonzaga/Wichita State? I think it could be done. You only need 12 good players not 80. We are in year seven of Bohl, and haven't won't a conference championship. Yes, we've won the Weedeater Bowl or whatever, but this program's ceiling under anybody seems to be 6-6, 7-5 or occasionally 8-4. We're not terrible, but we're not great. Boise will always rule this conference and the Mountain Division. It is what it is. I say focus on building a basketball powerhouse.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:40 pm What if we accepted we are a slightly above average football program, and went all in on basketball and tried to become the next Gonzaga/Wichita State? I think it could be done. You only need 12 good players not 80. We are in year seven of Bohl, and haven't won't a conference championship. Yes, we've won the Weedeater Bowl or whatever, but this program's ceiling under anybody seems to be 6-6, 7-5 or occasionally 8-4. We're not terrible, but we're not great. Boise will always rule this conference and the Mountain Division. It is what it is. I say focus on building a basketball powerhouse.
I don't think football success comes at a cost to the basketball program.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:40 pm What if we accepted we are a slightly above average football program, and went all in on basketball and tried to become the next Gonzaga/Wichita State? I think it could be done. You only need 12 good players not 80. We are in year seven of Bohl, and haven't won't a conference championship. Yes, we've won the Weedeater Bowl or whatever, but this program's ceiling under anybody seems to be 6-6, 7-5 or occasionally 8-4. We're not terrible, but we're not great. Boise will always rule this conference and the Mountain Division. It is what it is. I say focus on building a basketball powerhouse.
So you're saying we should abandon the most popular and profitable college sport to spend more on a sport that generates far less revenue and that far fewer people care to watch or attend? I got news for you - a mediocre football team still makes a lot of money and brings far more publicity to the school than basketball. I don't care how much money you have, John Calipari ain't coming here. And even if he came here, Tyler Hero isn't coming with him.
You should leave this board and go post your nonsense over on the Kansas board. They seem to keep trying with the football even though they are the doormat of the big 12 year after year. I'm sure they'll love your perspective. No one here wants to see your moronic posts.