Game thoughts (excuses)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:13 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:40 pm What if we accepted we are a slightly above average football program, and went all in on basketball and tried to become the next Gonzaga/Wichita State? I think it could be done. You only need 12 good players not 80. We are in year seven of Bohl, and haven't won't a conference championship. Yes, we've won the Weedeater Bowl or whatever, but this program's ceiling under anybody seems to be 6-6, 7-5 or occasionally 8-4. We're not terrible, but we're not great. Boise will always rule this conference and the Mountain Division. It is what it is. I say focus on building a basketball powerhouse.
So you're saying we should abandon the most popular and profitable college sport to spend more on a sport that generates far less revenue and that far fewer people care to watch or attend? I got news for you - a mediocre football team still makes a lot of money and brings far more publicity to the school than basketball. I don't care how much money you have, John Calipari ain't coming here. And even if he came here, Tyler Hero isn't coming with him.
You should leave this board and go post your nonsense over on the Kansas board. They seem to keep trying with the football even though they are the doormat of the big 12 year after year. I'm sure they'll love your perspective. No one here wants to see your moronic posts.
To translate bladerunnr (BTW, fantastic movie from the '80s; the sequel was decent)...football pays the bills, basketball is a fun sideshow.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

MrTitleist wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 am -O line injuries. Stofer and Velazquez are out. Those are big pieces to lose going into the season. It's been a shuffle
Logan Harris was out last night too, I believe.
Stofer isn't out, he is fully active.
Last edited by WestWYOPoke on Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:40 pm What if we accepted we are a slightly above average football program, and went all in on basketball and tried to become the next Gonzaga/Wichita State? I think it could be done. You only need 12 good players not 80. We are in year seven of Bohl, and haven't won't a conference championship. Yes, we've won the Weedeater Bowl or whatever, but this program's ceiling under anybody seems to be 6-6, 7-5 or occasionally 8-4. We're not terrible, but we're not great. Boise will always rule this conference and the Mountain Division. It is what it is. I say focus on building a basketball powerhouse.
How exciting has big sky and FCS football been this year? I haven’t been following and would love to hear the thoughts of Wyoming to FCS’s #1 advocate.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I rewatched the game and came to these conclusions: inexperience and dumb mistakes by a young QB and a young defense gave CSU the game. Part of the dumb mistakes absolutely is on the coaching.

#1 - On the Williams Pick 6, CSU dropped 8 and that ball should have never been thrown. Where the coaching comes in: 1) Williams has to recognize the defense pre-snap and realize the timing route he was had pre-determined to throw to wouldn’t be there...that is on the coaches to prepare Williams; and 2) Williams has to know that if you’re going to attempt that throw given the defense, then you better look before making the throw...once again, I believe that is on the coaching. Just a terrible decision for Williams to make that throw...given his experience, that isn’t too surprising. I doubt Chambers would have made that same mistake.

#2 - Big plays against the defense was largely because of blown assignments. Certainly there is an element of execution but that is on the coaching to both get the defense into the right call and to make sure the players are aware of their assignments. Outside of those big plays attributable to defensive mistakes, CSU really didn’t do much. I certainly don’t believe it is a talent issue as far as personnel.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

307bball wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am I feel like if this team plays clean and disciplined... They beat the bottom half of the conference handily, but if they don't... Well... Look no further than last night. I definitely would love to see a more creative offense but the reason we lost last night was the two terrible turnovers on the first two drives and some bonehead penalties that kept us from coming back.

I hate to say it here (and be ripped apart by vigen-haters), but there is a case to be made for being even more conservative, particularly early in games. If Levi never drops back to pass in that first quarter... We probably win that game. That won't beat Boise... But it will work against teams that need help to beat us.
I actually agree with you. The offense doesn't function at a high enough level to get creative or throw. The offense is a liability...again. Highly conservative is the only way to mitigate the negative contributions of the offense.

With that said, this game was poor play and stupid mistakes more than anything.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

It's easy to say why we lost: Turnovers and penalties. Both are fixable.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:30 am
MrTitleist wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 am -O line injuries. Stofer and Velazquez are out. Those are big pieces to lose going into the season. It's been a shuffle
Logan Harris was out last night too, I believe.
Weird. Wonder why bible was playing. Bible was struggling big time
Stofer isn't out, he is fully active.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

I didn't watch the game, but I was surprised we lost.. and how far we got behind THAT early in the game. It just goes to show adjustments were not made from the first two games of the season. We saw over and over that we cannot lose the turnover battle, and we did just that. And can't rely on the defense all the time. The offense has to be consistent and move the ball to take pressure off them.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Here comes the champion-advocate for Medicrities...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 60 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:24 pm
Giving up on football to succeed in basketball is a decidedly minority opinion.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

307bball wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:54 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:24 pm
Giving up on football to succeed in basketball is a decidedly minority opinion.
Yep. Football pays the bills!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:13 pm
So you're saying we should abandon the most popular and profitable college sport to spend more on a sport that generates far less revenue and that far fewer people care to watch or attend? I got news for you - a mediocre football team still makes a lot of money and brings far more publicity to the school than basketball. I don't care how much money you have, John Calipari ain't coming here. And even if he came here, Tyler Hero isn't coming with him.
You should leave this board and go post your nonsense over on the Kansas board. They seem to keep trying with the football even though they are the doormat of the big 12 year after year. I'm sure they'll love your perspective. No one here wants to see your moronic posts.
Well ok but no complaining when the team is 7-5 again.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:40 am
How exciting has big sky and FCS football been this year? I haven’t been following and would love to hear the thoughts of Wyoming to FCS’s #1 advocate.
Haha I have only watched Wyoming games and I’m having trouble even getting enthused for those. This entire season just feels like a big mulligan.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am I feel like if this team plays clean and disciplined... They beat the bottom half of the conference handily, but if they don't... Well... Look no further than last night. I definitely would love to see a more creative offense but the reason we lost last night was the two terrible turnovers on the first two drives and some bonehead penalties that kept us from coming back.

I hate to say it here (and be ripped apart by vigen-haters), but there is a case to be made for being even more conservative, particularly early in games. If Levi never drops back to pass in that first quarter... We probably win that game. That won't beat Boise... But it will work against teams that need help to beat us.
To indicate that we shouldn't be letting our QB pass because he will lose us the game is not an absolution of Vigen but yet another strike against him. He is supposed to be this QB guru right? Recruiting and molding the best of the best. Right? Well if his QB cannot be trusted to run this offense, to include passing, doesn't that reflect poorly on, at a minimum, his coaching? Realistically, also his ability to recruit?

Look I can admit that TOs and Penalties hurt the Pokes far more than the play calling but as with every single year Bohl has been here, the Pokes offense requires a number of NFL caliber players to be successful. This offense is designed to be ran by teams with great physical advantages over the opponent. In its current state, UW will never have great physical advantages over the higher echelon MWC teams. A more creative scheme that helps to scheme away disadvantages would be of benefit.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:19 pm

To indicate that we shouldn't be letting our QB pass because he will lose us the game is not an absolution of Vigen but yet another strike against him. He is supposed to be this QB guru right? Recruiting and molding the best of the best. Right? Well if his QB cannot be trusted to run this offense, to include passing, doesn't that reflect poorly on, at a minimum, his coaching? Realistically, also his ability to recruit?

Look I can admit that TOs and Penalties hurt the Pokes far more than the play calling but as with every single year Bohl has been here, the Pokes offense requires a number of NFL caliber players to be successful. This offense is designed to be ran by teams with great physical advantages over the opponent. In its current state, UW will never have great physical advantages over the higher echelon MWC teams. A more creative scheme that helps to scheme away disadvantages would be of benefit.

The goal is to win the game...I'll leave absolution to a higher power. I'm not really taking a position...just noting that If Wyoming has zero yards gained and zero turnovers in the first quarter we probably get out of Fort Collins with a win. I don't think that is all that controversial of a take after re-watching the game. This observation is merely hindsight-assisted opinion...not an endorsement of conservative play-calling.

On the topic of better talent being the only way that the Wyoming offense succeeds...What exactly is the point? Is there some scheme out there that works the same or better as talent level goes down?? It proves nothing when increased talent results in increased success...in fact it is self-evident. The one year that Wyoming had a functioning offense does not let anybody off the hook in my opinion...whatever the talent level. If you want a new offense, or even an offense that is more aggressive in the play-calling ... I suspect Bohl is not your guy.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:38 pm

If you want a new offense, or even an offense that is more aggressive in the play-calling ... I suspect Bohl is not your guy.
I don't think asking for more sweeps, jets, TE involvement, etc. means we have to hire Mike Leach and his Air Raid. I don't think its rocket science to think if defenses cannot stack 8+ in the box and blitz the A gap EVERY.SINGLE.DOWN the Cowboys may have more success. Did you watch the CSU game? That was the CSU defense. Stack the box and blitz the A gap on 1 and 2nd downs then dropped back into soft coverage and kept everything in front of them. That's not easy to overcome, regardless of talent. Why Bohl and Co cannot see that and adjust is beyond me. Obviously our opponents see it and have been doing it the entire time Bohl has been here.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:31 pm

If you want a new offense, or even an offense that is more aggressive in the play-calling ... I suspect Bohl is not your guy.
I don't think asking for more sweeps, jets, TE involvement, etc. means we have to hire Mike Leach and his Air Raid. I don't think its rocket science to think if defenses cannot stack 8+ in the box and blitz the A gap EVERY.SINGLE.DOWN the Cowboys may have more success. Did you watch the CSU game? That was the CSU defense. Stack the box and blitz the A gap on 1 and 2nd downs then dropped back into soft coverage and kept everything in front of them. That's not easy to overcome, regardless of talent. Why Bohl and Co cannot see that and adjust is beyond me. Obviously our opponents see it and have been doing it the entire time Bohl has been here.
I think I'm being misunderstood....I am making the observation that if Wyoming had only run qb sneaks for the entirety of the first quarter ... instead of the distaster that actuall happened....Wyoming probably wins the game. My suspicion is that Bohl knows this and will use it to justify being even more conservative. That is all. Bohl is what he is....he's going to take as few chances as possible. In the original post I made, I opined that this conservative approach probably gets you into the upper third of the MWC pretty consistently... but it would be tough to excel with.

And, by the way, the out of context quote that you snipped was not directed at you specifically.....just observing that people who want some offensive creativity will probably generally be dissapointed with Bohl. For the record, I would love to see Bohl open up the playbook.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:47 pm

For the record, I would love to see Bohl open up the playbook.
We have seen when the chips are down and the Pokes need to amp up the intensity (down in the Nevada game and stretches in the CSU game) this offense can be incredibly potent. In the second half Nevada was completely off balance and couldn't stop anything. The pokes came all the way back only for Vigen to go back to his standard Junior High blast right, blast left, incomplete pass. He has shown he has the plays and the personnel to be very good. I dont understand why THATS not the offense to start games. Go up 28 points or whatever then go vanilla. I dont get it.

As for your comment about QB sneaks only, sadly, you are probably correct.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:01 pm
307bball wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:47 pm

For the record, I would love to see Bohl open up the playbook.
We have seen when the chips are down and the Pokes need to amp up the intensity (down in the Nevada game and stretches in the CSU game) this offense can be incredibly potent. In the second half Nevada was completely off balance and couldn't stop anything. The pokes came all the way back only for Vigen to go back to his standard Junior High blast right, blast left, incomplete pass. He has shown he has the plays and the personnel to be very good. I dont understand why THATS not the offense to start games. Go up 28 points or whatever then go vanilla. I dont get it.

As for your comment about QB sneaks only, sadly, you are probably correct.
That phenomenon you are describing is so frustrating. If you could be that productive when you are down big in the third quarter why not do it all the time?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ItsuckstobeaCSUram - damn. Your thoughts are identical to mine. It's weird~!