Hey, Bohl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:20 am
307bball wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:45 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:32 am I hope not too many read the defeatist junk in this thread..
If you have an alternate opinion...please enlighten me. I don't think it is defeatist to try and accurately define the problem. It's insanity to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Paul Roach and the '80s aren't right around the corner...they are in the rear-view...what worked in the past is not working now for a variety of reasons that I don't think UW athletics has responded well to. Maybe you have evidence or a narrative that neatly explains how multiple coaches/styles have been consistent only in the ability to produce mediocre results during this century....if not...what is so wrong with speculation that the malaise of the last 20+ years may not be the fault of the coaches?
We have had really good defenses the past, what, four years? Defenses that are absolutely good enough to win conference championships. We had an offense one year that was good enough to win a championship. So Wyoming, and this staff in particular, is capable of recruiting the pieces necessary to win championships. It just needs to happen in the same year.

We can have consistently great defenses, but not offenses? I don't buy that. We need to can Vigen, swallow our pride, and get a real offense. It CAN happen. We can get the talent here. We have lots of players in the NFL. We have had and do currently have good players here. A lot of them. We don't have some sort of Wyoming disadvantage
One problem...if we can Vigen, we'll lose Bohl.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:20 am
307bball wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:45 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:32 am I hope not too many read the defeatist junk in this thread..
If you have an alternate opinion...please enlighten me. I don't think it is defeatist to try and accurately define the problem. It's insanity to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Paul Roach and the '80s aren't right around the corner...they are in the rear-view...what worked in the past is not working now for a variety of reasons that I don't think UW athletics has responded well to. Maybe you have evidence or a narrative that neatly explains how multiple coaches/styles have been consistent only in the ability to produce mediocre results during this century....if not...what is so wrong with speculation that the malaise of the last 20+ years may not be the fault of the coaches?
We have had really good defenses the past, what, four years? Defenses that are absolutely good enough to win conference championships. We had an offense one year that was good enough to win a championship. So Wyoming, and this staff in particular, is capable of recruiting the pieces necessary to win championships. It just needs to happen in the same year.

We can have consistently great defenses, but not offenses? I don't buy that. We need to can Vigen, swallow our pride, and get a real offense. It CAN happen. We can get the talent here. We have lots of players in the NFL. We have had and do currently have good players here. A lot of them. We don't have some sort of Wyoming disadvantage
Well...I envy your optimism. I'm looking at the last 20 years and asking the question, "are all of the coaches just bad?" I don't think the answer is yes. I don't think it is defeatist to ponder about the things outside of a coaches (and maybe athletic departments) control that may be making it difficult to win. Wyoming has been on the awful to mediocre side of the spectrum since the late '90s. Since Bohl has been here...we have ticked upward slightly in competitiveness. Bohl has had fantastic success as a fb coach. For that matter so did Glenn...then they get here and what happens? My opinion is that there is some confluence of factors that make high level sustained success in a football program possible. Having a good/great coach is part of that but it is insufficient. Now...the reason we win or lose a particular game has a lot to do with x's and o's....but what about mediocrity (or worse) over a 20 year period? I doubt that having the wrong guy at the helm would keep Ohio St from being irrelevant for a fifth of a century. Some of those factors seem to be decidedly against us...if we can't wonder about them without being labeled as defeatists then I really doubt that Wyoming FB gets any better than what we have seen the last four years.