Bohls contract gets extended

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

And thus, Vigen is extended. :roll:
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 60 times

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:37 pm And thus, Vigen is extended. :roll:
We want Bohl gone right? Unless you have some info I don't (which is entirely possible), why is everybody so confident that a change in coordinator alters the playbook? This Bohl's offense...not Vigen's. Vigen is merely carrying out what Bohl wants.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

307bball wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am
We want Bohl gone right? Unless you have some info I don't (which is entirely possible), why is everybody so confident that a change in coordinator alters the playbook? This Bohl's offense...not Vigen's. Vigen is merely carrying out what Bohl wants.
It is Bohl's offense, but Bohl isn't calling every play. I doubt he's overriding many if any plays. He likely calls situations (punt, go for it, burn clock, stay conservative here, etc.).

However, the OC needs to have a feel for what defenses are doing. Instead of conservative run up the middle, perhaps a conservative screen or something. Vigen seems to struggle with keeping defenses off balance because his calls are predictable.

You are correct that the overall offense and philosophy are Bohl's but I think you are overestimating how much Bohl is involved in each play call. That said, he sticks with Vigen, so indirectly, he endorses the play calling even if he isn't calling them.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 am
307bball wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am
It is Bohl's offense, but Bohl isn't calling every play. I doubt he's overriding many if any plays. He likely calls situations (punt, go for it, burn clock, stay conservative here, etc.).

However, the OC needs to have a feel for what defenses are doing. Instead of conservative run up the middle, perhaps a conservative screen or something. Vigen seems to struggle with keeping defenses off balance because his calls are predictable.

You are correct that the overall offense and philosophy are Bohl's but I think you are overestimating how much Bohl is involved in each play call. That said, he sticks with Vigen, so indirectly, he endorses the play calling even if he isn't calling them.
Agreed...it's not like this is the first year of the Vigen/Bohl combo...if Bohl wanted a change in how plays are called or style of offense, I assume that he is ultimately in control of that. Therefore, while it is true that that the OC would have more granular control of offensive nuances, the HC could change anything at anytime. After a year or two of a coach and coordinator being together...the pros and cons of offensive and defensive systems fall more to the HC than a coordinator IMO.

I could see a situation where a coordinator would take more credit/blame when it is the first year or so of the pairing. In that case you would have a HC that wants a change and is willing to bring somebody new on to affect that change. At this point, 7+ years into the Vigen/Bohl pairing, it is obvious that the offensive style (including playcalling) was either originally Bohl's idea or Vigen's idea that Bohl has bought into.

I just don't understand the hate towards Vigen while Bohl mostly skates. This is Bohl's offense...you want to fire somebody over the offense at this point...fire the HC.
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

So ... FIVE more years of guaranteed mediocrity! Seven years, and counting? How long does it take, anyway? Burman gives an extension before he sees any results? Do we really deserve this crap?! ... Beginning with the AD?! I'm beginning to wonder why any good high school player would sign with Whyoming.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

307bball wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:16 am

I just don't understand the hate towards Vigen while Bohl mostly skates. This is Bohl's offense...you want to fire somebody over the offense at this point...fire the HC.
Agreed, Bohl is at fault by inaction. It is sort of like the Glenn-Cockhill relationship except much stronger. Glenn ultimately let him go but it was too late.

I'd still rather stick with Bohl and company and hope they figure out an offense than head off into the chasing coaches. The direction CFB has taken makes Laramie not a very desirable place to launch or resurrect a career. I think we'd struggle mightily if we ever started into the coaching abyss.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am So ... FIVE more years of guaranteed mediocrity! Seven years, and counting? How long does it take, anyway? Burman gives an extension before he sees any results? Do we really deserve this crap?! ... Beginning with the AD?! I'm beginning to wonder why any good high school player would sign with Whyoming.
16 players on NFL rosters.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 224 times

Great news for the Pokes! Guess who is also likely here through the 2024 season...Levi Williams. Guess who is hopefully here through the 2023 season...Sean Chambers. Bohl has a solid system in place and the continuity is likely to produce good results IMO.

For those complaining, why don't you go ahead and raise the $40 million required to bring the next hottest coach. Or you can just re-watch all those games from Koenning, to Joe's middle finger to Mr. Howdy Doody.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:14 am
WyoGeezer wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am So ... FIVE more years of guaranteed mediocrity! Seven years, and counting? How long does it take, anyway? Burman gives an extension before he sees any results? Do we really deserve this crap?! ... Beginning with the AD?! I'm beginning to wonder why any good high school player would sign with Whyoming.
16 players on NFL rosters.
Who wants to go make millions on an NFL roster? Can't believe kids these days.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

So...would it be accurate to say that despite frustrations w/the offense ... most of us don't want to move on from Bohl?

Ultimately I agree w/Oredigger and Ragtime....I think it would be a mistake to fire Bohl. I don't see the evidence that Laramie is going to be a nexus for college football excellence in the near future...in fact, there is a ton of evidence that the current staff has been well above replacement value for the last four years.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:52 am So...would it be accurate to say that despite frustrations w/the offense ... most of us don't want to move on from Bohl?

Ultimately I agree w/Oredigger and Ragtime....I think it would be a mistake to fire Bohl. I don't see the evidence that Laramie is going to be a nexus for college football excellence in the near future...in fact, there is a ton of evidence that the current staff has been well above replacement value for the last four years.
Yea I am in the camp that it would be a big mistake. One thing that I have noticed with all of Bohl's teams is that there is no quit and never a pack it in mentality. Wyoming could have rolled over at Nevada last week when the score appeared to be out of reach, but that didn't happen. What this should tell everyone is that the players are willing to go to battle for this coaching staff. Recruiting to Laramie is ALWAYS going to pose its challenges. There is no way around that. When you look at the talent level that Bohl has brought to Laramie and the way that the staff has developed that talent over the years, it is very impressive. One of these years, those injuries/breaks are going to go our way, and WATCH OUT.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Good news. Now please reconsider the offense, Craig!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah, Bohl is good. But the hyper conservative play calling on offense is the most frustrating thing. Because when they do open up the playcalling, we move the ball pretty well.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:03 pm Yeah, Bohl is good. But the hyper conservative play calling on offense is the most frustrating thing. Because when they do open up the playcalling, we move the ball pretty well.
That has been such a frustrating consistent thing. One of the things I have noticed...if our starting field position is worse than our own 25...our play calls are soooooo conservative.