COVID Breakout on Football Team

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It's just freshmen? If so, there's still a chance the team's largely alright to play game 1, right?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Per UW Release:

October 2, 2020
Eleven cases of COVID-19 and close contacts among the University of Wyoming’s freshman football players have prompted the university to take action to limit the spread of the virus in that group of students, employees and the broader community.

The 31 freshman players will not engage in any athletic activities -- including practice, workouts and in-person meetings -- and the members are encouraged to shelter in place, where possible, for one week. Limited contact is a critical component to the shelter in place. During this time, team members will attend classes virtually.

Additionally, all football team members are being tested today (Friday) for the virus, and anyone who may have had close contact with a team member will be contacted by UW’s COVID Hub for testing.

The positive cases involving freshman football players were detected in UW’s bridge testing program through Vault Health.

While UW’s freshmen have been practicing with their football teammates, the freshman locker rooms are separate. And the freshmen all live in UW’s residence halls, not with teammates in off-campus dwellings.

Still, out of an abundance of caution, UW’s football team will not practice until the additional test results are received over the weekend.

“We are hopeful that these actions will limit the spread of the virus to the freshman football team members and that the rest of the team can resume its preparations for the shortened season that begins Oct. 24,” Athletics Director Tom Burman says. “We have been fortunate to have very little COVID prevalence among our football team until now, in part because of our rigorous testing program that began in the summer. Our ability to move forward with our shortened season depends upon limiting the infection, and we’re taking all appropriate steps to do so, including the aggressive testing program adopted by the Mountain West Conference.”

There have been four cases of COVID-19 detected among students -- athletes and non-athletes -- on each of floors 10 and 11 of one of UW’s residence halls, White Hall. As a result, all of the students on those floors are being told to shelter in place as well. However, students on those floors who have not been in close contact with infected individuals will be allowed to go to in-person class and leave for work or religious activities.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Eight poke wrestlers also tested positive as well. Let's hope they can get it under control soon.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

phxpoke wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm Eight poke wrestlers also tested positive as well. Let's hope they can get it under control soon.
Wrestling is going to be a sport that has a lot of problems happening I would think if the goal is to apparently eliminate all COVID. One wrestler gets it and the whole team is bound to get it. No way around that in the sport of wrestling because any sort of practice is going to require close contact.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

I say good. Get it over with now because a breakout is inevitable. Better to do it now with enough time to get through quarantine time before the games start.

Only question I would have though is this -- is there a required number of practices a kid has to participate in before being allowed to play a game, and if so, will some of these guys be short practices come Nevada?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:18 pm I say good. Get it over with now because a breakout is inevitable. Better to do it now with enough time to get through quarantine time before the games start.

Only question I would have though is this -- is there a required number of practices a kid has to participate in before being allowed to play a game, and if so, will some of these guys be short practices come Nevada?

Short answer: No
Long answer: players have to go thru 2 practices of helmets only and 2 practices or helmets and shoulder pads before they can go full pads, so 4... kind of
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

I will say, Albany County currently has the highest total cases so far. And that was before this outbreak.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:39 pm I will say, Albany County currently has the highest total cases so far. And that was before this outbreak.
Purely a result of University testing. No other county is seeing the level of testing that Albany County is.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Thoughts and prayers. We should get the body bags ready as this is truly a deadly virus.
W-Y, Until I Die!
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:53 pm
fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:39 pm I will say, Albany County currently has the highest total cases so far. And that was before this outbreak.
Purely a result of University testing. No other county is seeing the level of testing that Albany County is.
And still the lowest death toll in the entire nation.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

All testing does is scare the public and hamstrings everyone’s lives. Who’s sick of this poop yet?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 pm All testing does is scare the public and hamstrings everyone’s lives. Who’s sick of this Sh#t yet?
I am definitely sick of it. It's a shame that people minimize a semi- deadly virus that could easily be controlled with basic precautions like wearing masks, proper hygiene and social distancing. But when a large percentage of the population thinks it's "no big deal", it actually lingers longer than it should.

Ironic that the crowd pushing loudest to "open everything back up" is also the crowd refusing to follow simple practices that would actually allow everything to open back up.

Again, it's not the plague, it's not just a cold, but this poop would have been over months ago if everyone could have just followed basic rules for 2-3 months.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:46 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 pm All testing does is scare the public and hamstrings everyone’s lives. Who’s sick of this Sh#t yet?
I am definitely sick of it. It's a shame that people minimize a semi- deadly virus that could easily be controlled with basic precautions like wearing masks, proper hygiene and social distancing. But when a large percentage of the population thinks it's "no big deal", it actually lingers longer than it should.

Ironic that the crowd pushing loudest to "open everything back up" is also the crowd refusing to follow simple practices that would actually allow everything to open back up.

Again, it's not the plague, it's not just a cold, but this Sh#t would have been over months ago if everyone could have just followed basic rules for 2-3 months.
Yep. There are countries with higher population densities that have pretty much contained it. And places like New Zealand have brought it down to about a handful. But nope, "I dun wanna were a mazk! Itz against Godz will!" kind of people just make it worse for everyone.

And I wish I was exaggerating on that, but some people really do have that kind of mentality, along with simply not taking Covid seriously (with some of those paying the ultimate price). So, wear a mask when around other people. At least attempt to keep 6 feet apart. And practice basic hygiene.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Again, it's not the plague, it's not just a cold, but this Sh#t would have been over months ago if everyone could have just followed basic rules for 2-3 months.
What you are saying makes no sense. You really think that by wearing masks it will just 'go away'? Even if masks do work (which they don't) wouldn't that draw things out longer? Why would we want ever that? Why is no one dying in New York anymore? It's because they have herd immunity, not because of inane measure they've put in place. The only reason we aren't back to normal life is because of the social distancing. Masks don't do poop, but hiding in your basement sure does slow the spread. Sweden, and many other countries have herd immunity. Few people are dying. We could be like them., but no, we have to lockdown and basically ruin the social fabric of our county. It's unprecedented and mindless and will be one of the biggest human mistake in history.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:07 am

Yep. There are countries with higher population densities that have pretty much contained it. And places like New Zealand have brought it down to about a handful. But nope, "I dun wanna were a mazk! Itz against Godz will!" kind of people just make it worse for everyone.

And I wish I was exaggerating on that, but some people really do have that kind of mentality, along with simply not taking Covid seriously (with some of those paying the ultimate price). So, wear a mask when around other people. At least attempt to keep 6 feet apart. And practice basic hygiene.
New Zealand is an island country with a population of less than 5 million people. You're seriously comparing that to a country with open borders and 340 million people? Ok. It's incredible that I guess it's ok to caricature religious people as illiterate morons. Here in Colorado, all the churches are closed. But it's still ok to riot in the name of social justice.

Countries like France and England and Spain are now experiencing huge spikes in cases. They shut down even harder than we did. This notion that the virus would have been contained by mask wearing and social distancing is flat out false.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

On the contrary, testing is what is allowing us to have a football season and is how every public health expert (not people who post on message boards) says we will get out of the pandemic. Screwing up testing in the first month was the government's biggest failure of all, and it led to unnecessary deaths. I know you'll say that they were "just the sick and elderly," but they didn't have to die, and now they are.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:37 am

What you are saying makes no sense. You really think that by wearing masks it will just 'go away'? Even if masks do work (which they don't) wouldn't that draw things out longer? Why would we want ever that? Why is no one dying in New York anymore? It's because they have herd immunity, not because of inane measure they've put in place. The only reason we aren't back to normal life is because of the social distancing. Masks don't do poop, but hiding in your basement sure does slow the spread. Sweden, and many other countries have herd immunity. Few people are dying. We could be like them., but no, we have to lockdown and basically ruin the social fabric of our county. It's unprecedented and mindless and will be one of the biggest human mistake in history.
Case in point