Defensive players 'opting out'

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

If they have conditions that potentially predispose them to bad cases of COVID, then probably a smart move. With that said, COVID isn't going anywhere and we aren't curing it. The only thing that will change is how we and the media treat it. Thus, they may never play again.

Either that or it will mutate itself out of existence like SARS.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:42 pm Either that or it will mutate itself out of existence like SARS.
It's definitely doing that already - or at least mutating itself in a way where most forms are nowhere near as bad symptom-wise.

Of course, the more it spreads around and mutates, the more likely a "bad" mutation would happen as well, even though chances of that are still pretty low. With how easily it transfers, that would be catastrophic, though... not like this year hasn't been bad enough already.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:42 pm If they have conditions that potentially predispose them to bad cases of COVID, then probably a smart move. With that said, COVID isn't going anywhere and we aren't curing it. The only thing that will change is how we and the media treat it. Thus, they may never play again.

They may have to live their entire lives in a large plastic bubble. Tragic.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:47 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:42 pm If they have conditions that potentially predispose them to bad cases of COVID, then probably a smart move. With that said, COVID isn't going anywhere and we aren't curing it. The only thing that will change is how we and the media treat it. Thus, they may never play again.

These players may also have family reasons for making these decisions (such as a grandma with health conditions living at home) so I’m not sure it is fair to criticize. I’m hopeful we will have everyone but respect the right of any player to decide for themselves.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:50 pm

These players may also have family reasons for making these decisions (such as a grandma with health conditions living at home) so I’m not sure it is fair to criticize. I’m hopeful we will have everyone but respect the right of any player to decide for themselves.
As has been discussed, the players are likely to receive far better care and attention here in Laramie then wherever they will spend the season. They will be safer playing football this season. Since everyone is so concerned about their safety. Not to mention at their age there is no reason for them to be afraid of the virus
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:54 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:50 pm

As has been discussed, the players are likely to receive far better care and attention here in Laramie then wherever they will spend the season. They will be safer playing football this season. Since everyone is so concerned about their safety. Not to mention at their age there is no reason for them to be afraid of the virus
If only they had your wisdom and medical expertise to rely on for their personal decisions.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Byrd and Weber plus 3 other defensive linemen. Even if the O takes a step forward, the D probably won’t have enough depth.
W-Y, Until I Die!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:30 pm Byrd and Weber plus 3 other defensive linemen. Even if the O takes a step forward, the D probably won’t have enough depth.
Some tough losses for sure. Luckily we do have some depth on the Dline (I'd guess we have a solid two deep along the Dline with other returning players with playing experience).

Hope to see these guys back next year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Byrd, Mora, Davon Wells-Ross, Claude Cole, Rome Weber. Plus Alonzo Velazquez tore his labrum and Gavin Rush "retired".

Damn
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

JimmyDimes wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:34 am
laxwyo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:30 pm Byrd and Weber plus 3 other defensive linemen. Even if the O takes a step forward, the D probably won’t have enough depth.
Some tough losses for sure. Luckily we do have some depth on the Dline (I'd guess we have a solid two deep along the Dline with other returning players with playing experience).

Hope to see these guys back next year.
We're going to see a lot of young players play. Maybe even some true freshmen.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:20 am Byrd, Mora, Davon Wells-Ross, Claude Cole, Rome Weber. Plus Alonzo Velazquez tore his labrum and Gavin Rush "retired".

Damn
Tough losses for sure. But at Wyoming we have traditionally had turnover so this is nothing new. Coach Bohl said when he came in that he hoped to build depth to address this traditional turnover issue and now we will get to see.

I’m hopeful we see these guys again next year in a Wyoming uniform.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:20 am Byrd, Mora, Davon Wells-Ross, Claude Cole, Rome Weber. Plus Alonzo Velazquez tore his labrum and Gavin Rush "retired".

Damn
It should be mentioned that Rush is staying on as a S&C intern. He is not leaving the program. He has been injured the last few years and his decision (probably coaches’ influence as well) is more than understandable.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Oh, and the long snapper, Jesse Hopper retired too. Great
Preemo
Buckaroo

We don't know everyone's circumstances. I just want to say thank you for these young men for supporting UW during the time they did and I hope they come back when they feel it is safe.
Poke Fan Since 2004
UW Grad 2008 & 2012