MWC Exploring 8 Game Fall Season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

This is great! The MWC NEEDS to make this happen. We have the opportunity to be the only conference playing in the West. This is awesome!

If things improve enough, line up "bowl games" against the top end of the AAC. Example: teams 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, and 4 vs 4. Highest ranked #1 hosts, then alternate hosting conferences. If our #1 or theirs makes a NY6 or playoff, then 1 vs 2, 2 vs 3, etc.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
303cowboy
Cowpoke

The ball seems to be rolling

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

What's the deal with us following the B1G? We cancelled as soon as they cancelled. We attempt restart plans when they announce restart plans.

I'm not complaining at all and glad there is momentum towards playing this fall. I'm just wondering why the B1G link (at least it seems that way)?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Man, if this happens, they better keep the players in check. With that tight of a schedule, a single outbreak will throw it all off... or are they considering going in January/February as well?

I saw BYU had to postpone/cancel their Army game because the team had an outbreak... CU is a big ol' clusterf*** too, but they're not going to play anyway, so.

Speaking of which. We're in quarantine too, after one of my son's 10U teammates tested positive after feeling sick and still going to the fall season opener last weekend. And then we went straight to the final hockey tryout game right after, so we had to report to our hockey team as well. So that was good. Not. On the positive side, the kid had a great 10th birthday and did great in both games (especially the hockey one).
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

good. Should let anyone attend that wants to watch as well. We done with the hoax yet? Oh wait, that’ll be November.
W-Y, Until I Die!
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

What's the point in waiting any longer than Friday to vote? Commissioner Thompson should set the deadline by Friday so an 8 game schedule can be played. University presidents choosing to delay or vote no can opt out of the season for their respective school.
I'm good for 3!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:40 pm What's the point in waiting any longer than Friday to vote? Commissioner Thompson should set the deadline by Friday so an 8 game schedule can be played. University presidents choosing to delay or vote no can opt out of the season for their respective school.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I'm betting the vote happens tomorrow and on track to play. Thank goodness!

My two biggest fears:
1) Outbreak totally disrupts the attempted season
2) I'm really nervous about injuries with no spring ball and just a few weeks of practice before games. I hope most of the guys have been staying in football shape.

I've tried to watch CFB this season, but it hasn't been the same. So glad the MWC is back!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... plocalnews

Here’s what can happen anyway. These guys can’t catch a break. Five games canceled so far.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ZapPoke wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:03 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... plocalnews

Here’s what can happen anyway. These guys can’t catch a break. Five games canceled so far.
This is why I'm wondering if it would make sense to just let this be a really long season and go into spring if necessary.

CU is still absolutely off the charts insane. 1,200 Students have tested positive now, I believe it is. In-person classes are canceled, but it doesn't matter since that's not how everybody keeps getting sick.

At this rate, their whole football team will have had it in a week, and they'll be good to go.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:19 pm
ZapPoke wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:03 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... plocalnews

This is why I'm wondering if it would make sense to just let this be a really long season and go into spring if necessary.

CU is still absolutely off the charts insane. 1,200 Students have tested positive now, I believe it is. In-person classes are canceled, but it doesn't matter since that's not how everybody keeps getting sick.

At this rate, their whole football team will have had it in a week, and they'll be good to go.
Right. How many CU students have been seriously ill? I really do want to see some numbers on that. How bad is it really going to be at the end of all these colleges getting it over with? Let's just get it over with.
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Got copied on an email saying they're going to allow 9-11,000 fans in the stadium. That's quite a bid higher than I expected
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:29 pm Right. How many CU students have been seriously ill? I really do want to see some numbers on that. How bad is it really going to be at the end of all these colleges getting it over with? Let's just get it over with.
I think I read there's been a single ICU case and he's since been recovered and released. Boulder County just had enough and banned kids 18-22 from gathering because they keep partying no matter what they tell them to.

With college students, I don't think immediate death is anything to worry about. It's whatever potential long-term stuff that's a result that would be worse, especially since they're likely to just ignore it and still push through rather than see a doctor.

Obviously that's not a problem with student athletes, though, as their performance would be hampered and they have their own trainers and medical staff to see about that.

One of the things you don't see talked about much with COVID-19 is that the mutations that have happened so far of the virus (I think we have six or seven different ones at this point) have all been weakening the lethality of the virus, while making it even more contagious. In other words, most of the newer strains are not nearly as bad as what hit us in March. All things considered, we've been pretty lucky that the virus hasn't been mutating in the opposite direction (like the Spanish Flu did), even though that's generally a more rare outcome.
Last edited by Asmodeanreborn on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

303cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 am Got copied on an email saying they're going to allow 9-11,000 fans in the stadium. That's quite a bid higher than I expected
That definitely seems a bit high, but if people wear masks, why not? It's outdoors and War Memorial is not nearly as crammed as some stadiums.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

What's the point of restrictions? Thought it was to flatten the curve. well the curve is flat and relatively few are dying. No hospital has been overwhelmed. Now it's a wanton seizure of our freedoms. This poop has to end. Get back to normal life. It's going to infect and kill who it's going to infect and kill.. eventually. People need to face that fact. Good thing it's going to be only people that are really old and really sick. sad, but that's life.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:45 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:29 pm Right. How many CU students have been seriously ill? I really do want to see some numbers on that. How bad is it really going to be at the end of all these colleges getting it over with? Let's just get it over with.
I think I read there's been a single ICU case and he's since been recovered and released. Boulder County just had enough and banned kids 18-22 from gathering because they keep partying no matter what they tell them to.

With college students, I don't think immediate death is anything to worry about. It's whatever potential long-term stuff that's a result that would be worse, especially since they're likely to just ignore it and still push through rather than see a doctor.

Obviously that's not a problem with student athletes, though, as their performance would be hampered and they have their own trainers and medical staff to see about that.

One of the things you don't see talked about much with COVID-19 is that the mutations that have happened so far of the virus (I think we have six or seven different ones at this point) have all been weakening the lethality of the virus, while making it even more contagious. In other words, most of the newer strains are not nearly as bad as what hit us in March. All things considered, we've been pretty lucky that the virus hasn't been mutating in the opposite direction (like the Spanish Flu did), even though that's generally a more rare outcome.
Going the way of SARS; they just don't want to be overly optimistic. I'm betting the vaccine will be unnecessary, just like SARS.

Won't help us this season but should by next.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times

PAC-12 only playing a 7 game season starting in Nov. For whatever reason I wish we had made our announcement before them. This just makes us look like we can't make any decision without a P-5 conference doing it. Following the PAC-12 specifically makes me want to puke. This whole situation was a negative for the MW as a whole I think.