The MWC is canceling fall sports.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

How big will our oline be next August?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Does our athletic department have enough money to survive a year of no revenue?
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:19 pm Does our athletic department have enough money to survive a year of no revenue?
With the costs of playing (travel, food, hotel, etc) at 20% capacity & no money games, it may actually be easier on the bank account to sit this one out?

I'm sure someone out there will have more knowledge on this than I do.
Last edited by BackHarlowRoad on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:19 pm Does our athletic department have enough money to survive a year of no revenue?
Who else already paid for their season tickets? I'm waiting on the email from Burman begging me to "donate" my season ticket purchase to the program...
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

We r in a better position than most. I know a lot of our donors are ranchers, so I looked a beef stock. Interesting to say the least. Price of beef is down. Probably due to a lack of cash country wide.

But here is the thing, demand hasn't dropped... People need to eat, just at a cheaper price. As worldwide prices plummet, there will be an increase in basic beef prices. Wyugu, Kobe, all the fancy poop will be priced out. Wyoming beef, poop... American beef will be in a very strong position. "America, we got the meats".

That was kinda off topic, however we are the only University in the state. I can guarantee the people, government, funders... They will make sure we survive this in better shape than 90% of the country
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Finally, time to move along and stop the speculating, its sad, But, life does move on, knew there was a reason i didn't renew my season's
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:09 pm
The world needs more cowboys, not kitty...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Disgusting. Embarrassing. MWC leadership are the biggest kitty known to man. Of course, the ones hurt most are the kids. Of course not a word from burman. What a puss
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

The f-word daycare I send my twins to made it all summer without 1 kid getting sick, 2 teachers got it completely unrelated to the daycare, shut a couple classes down for a week each and all was good. A f-word daycare figured it out and everyone else is just got their hands out milking this poop for every free f-word penny, saying they are scared.

This half assing poop is pathetic, we aren’t shut down but we aren’t open, make a real decision is what this poop needs....
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

https://twitter.com/Nate_Pine/status/12 ... 75104?s=20

So Air Force is saying due to physical development being part of their core mission they still plan to play army and Navy.

So they get to practice and play in the fall and then play conference in spring if it happens?

Talk about a huge advantage for their players with all the extra practices and time with coaches.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:05 pm https://twitter.com/Nate_Pine/status/12 ... 75104?s=20

So Air Force is saying due to physical development being part of their core mission they still plan to play army and Navy.

So they get to practice and play in the fall and then play conference in spring if it happens?

Talk about a huge advantage for their players with all the extra practices and time with coaches.
Nebraska saying they are open to games outside the little conference
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:05 pm https://twitter.com/Nate_Pine/status/12 ... 75104?s=20

If it makes you feel any better, there won't be any games this spring. There won't be any sports at UW or any other school until at least fall of next year. And even that is not a given.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Too much liability and too big of risk of forcing players to organize.

Players don't have a lot of rights. Covid is like dropping a lit cigarette in a silo full of fertilizer for the NCAA.

I want them to play, but I can understand. The rich douchebags in charge arent sacrificing their profit margin to give players medical insurance, a salary, and all the things that the players should have, but dont. The good old boys in charge arent giving up amateur status, tax exempt, or their protection from anti-trust issues. If they give the players what they deserve it opens Pandoras box for the NCAA.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:23 pm Too much liability and too big of risk of forcing players to organize.

Players don't have a lot of rights. Covid is like dropping a lit cigarette in a silo full of fertilizer for the NCAA.

I want them to play, but I can understand. The rich douchebags in charge arent sacrificing their profit margin to give players medical insurance, a salary, and all the things that the players should have, but dont. The good old boys in charge arent giving up amateur status, tax exempt, or their protection from anti-trust issues. If they give the players what they deserve it opens Pandoras box for the NCAA.
Total poop. The players are supposed to be students. They get free tuition and free room and board. The minute we or any other school starts paying players to play is the day I quit watching and never give the school another nickel. Craig Bohl makes good money but I would not call him a "rich douchebag". The MWC is not a P5 conference. If football becomes pay to play, then we become another Montana state or end up just dropping all scholarship sports. Dumbest post I've ever read.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:45 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:23 pm Too much liability and too big of risk of forcing players to organize.

Total [#]sh#t. The players are supposed to be students. They get free tuition and free room and board. The minute we or any other school starts paying players to play is the day I quit watching and never give the school another nickel. Craig Bohl makes good money but I would not call him a "rich douchebag". The MWC is not a P5 conference. If football becomes pay to play, then we become another Montana state or end up just dropping all scholarship sports. Dumbest post I've ever read.
Craig Bohl isnt in charge of the NCAA. He's in charge of Wyoming.

The NCAA are the rich douchebags I was referring to. They use their "amateur" status to hide from anti-trust laws and rake in the money while NOT having to pay taxes, although colleges are just the semi-pro league for the NFL.

The players, with no representation, are forced to play for peanuts, while the NCAA gets rich.

It obviously isnt b.s. or leagues wouldn't be canceling right now.

The NCAA could care less about covid. They care about tax exempt and players organizing threatens that.
Steamboat307
Buckaroo

Bucking the system! 1886 -2020

RIP!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Total [#]sh#t. The players are supposed to be students. They get free tuition and free room and board. The minute we or any other school starts paying players to play is the day I quit watching and never give the school another nickel. Craig Bohl makes good money but I would not call him a "rich douchebag". The MWC is not a P5 conference. If football becomes pay to play, then we become another Montana state or end up just dropping all scholarship sports. Dumbest post I've ever read.

The NCAA are the rich douchebags I was referring to. They use their "amateur" status to hide from anti-trust laws and rake in the money while NOT having to pay taxes, although colleges are just the semi-pro league for the NFL.

The players, with no representation, are forced to play for peanuts, while the NCAA gets rich.

The NCAA could care less about covid. They care about tax exempt and players organizing threatens that.
Huh? This has literally no relevancy to the MWC decision.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Yes it does, in pro sports u can sign an opt out. In college sports u can't. No matter how many parents jump on board, if their kid dies from covid19, they can sue. Not the same with pro sports where u can say opt out, but don't receive money for the year. If a kid leaves, his scholly is gone. It is what it is
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:29 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Huh? This has literally no relevancy to the MWC decision.
Aside from the #MWunited campaign that came out last week, where MWC players demanded that our schools pick up all medical bills associated with covid for the next six years and give all the MW players health insurance.

2 conferences players organized: MW and Pac 12 and both of those leagues, which were going to try and play, are suddenly canceling.

This is about the threat of players unionizing. The NCAA could care less if players or their families die, as long as they dont get stuck with the bill, and you cant force an "amateur" to sign a contract waiving their legal rights(right to sue) without threatening "amateur" status.