#MWUnited from the Mountain West Players

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Cowboy defensive back Rome Weber shared this on twitter tonight, appears the Mountain West players are speaking together on their thoughts on this football season:

The Mountain West had an official response to this:
ImageImageImageImage
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Do you think the liability waiver is a huge issue (I do)? I would think that if the liability waiver is absolved, then the student athlete also bears some responsibility. For example, if Joe Blow is out partying or not following guidelines and gets COVID. His "adventures" are clearly documented and the testing demonstrates that he most likely contracted COVID while not following social distancing. He then brings COVID to practice and John Doe get very ill (or even dies). John Doe or his family sue the university and the university sues Joe Blow.

The possibilities are mind boggling. The only logical solution is a liability waiver to protect everyone.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here? The rest of their requests didn't seem too ridiculous.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:52 am Do you think the liability waiver is a huge issue (I do)? I would think that if the liability waiver is absolved, then the student athlete also bears some responsibility. For example, if Joe Blow is out partying or not following guidelines and gets COVID. His "adventures" are clearly documented and the testing demonstrates that he most likely contracted COVID while not following social distancing. He then brings COVID to practice and John Doe get very ill (or even dies). John Doe or his family sue the university and the university sues Joe Blow.

The possibilities are mind boggling. The only logical solution is a liability waiver to protect everyone.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here? The rest of their requests didn't seem too ridiculous.
The liability piece is a tough one to work around. I agree w/you that, in general, the requests by student-athletes are pretty non-ridiculous. The problem is the model that everybody is operating under. Unless we get back to some form of competitive cooperation or cooperative competition we are stuck with an adversarial model where in order for your side to win the other side must lose. The problem there is that in that type of model you end up in relationships with losers...or become a loser yourself. We have to figure out how to "win" when we lose. This is not just true in NCAA/athlete/university relationships...it's true in governments, businesses and personal relationships. In so many aspects we have slid into a model where, if the way forward is determined by your opponent, even if it is towards a place you want to be, that gets defined as the opposite of progress. In the case of athletes and college conferences, sometimes what is in the interest of the institution is not completely in the best interest of the athlete and vice versa. However, the institution without the athlete or the athlete without the institution is pretty meaningless so compromises must be made in order that a system would exist wherein both can exist. Look at the conversation surrounding the hot button issues today....everybody wants the same things...decrease COVID effects, decrease racial animosity, and so on...but if your political opponent sets forth on a path that would objectively be a good thing...you are generally forced to fight good direction since it came from your "enemy". When it works, both sides acknowledge that in order to move forward, some concession must be made to the side that you are trying to cooperate with. The athletes and the institutions benefit from each other.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

307bball wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:13 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:52 am Do you think the liability waiver is a huge issue (I do)? I would think that if the liability waiver is absolved, then the student athlete also bears some responsibility. For example, if Joe Blow is out partying or not following guidelines and gets COVID. His "adventures" are clearly documented and the testing demonstrates that he most likely contracted COVID while not following social distancing. He then brings COVID to practice and John Doe get very ill (or even dies). John Doe or his family sue the university and the university sues Joe Blow.

The liability piece is a tough one to work around. I agree w/you that, in general, the requests by student-athletes are pretty non-ridiculous. The problem is the model that everybody is operating under. Unless we get back to some form of competitive cooperation or cooperative competition we are stuck with an adversarial model where in order for your side to win the other side must lose. The problem there is that in that type of model you end up in relationships with losers...or become a loser yourself. We have to figure out how to "win" when we lose. This is not just true in NCAA/athlete/university relationships...it's true in governments, businesses and personal relationships. In so many aspects we have slid into a model where, if the way forward is determined by your opponent, even if it is towards a place you want to be, that gets defined as the opposite of progress. In the case of athletes and college conferences, sometimes what is in the interest of the institution is not completely in the best interest of the athlete and vice versa. However, the institution without the athlete or the athlete without the institution is pretty meaningless so compromises must be made in order that a system would exist wherein both can exist. Look at the conversation surrounding the hot button issues today....everybody wants the same things...decrease COVID effects, decrease racial animosity, and so on...but if your political opponent sets forth on a path that would objectively be a good thing...you are generally forced to fight good direction since it came from your "enemy". When it works, both sides acknowledge that in order to move forward, some concession must be made to the side that you are trying to cooperate with. The athletes and the institutions benefit from each other.
Definitely agree with this. Animosity is incentivized in so many aspects of our society, and there are a lot of bad faith actors who do everything they can to play with people's emotions to the point where we get upset with things that could benefit us all.

I can agree with general things both sides of the political spectrum want, but then there are parts that are absolutely crazy too because of a few morons who want the fight more than progress/stability

Like the whole "defund the police" thing. I totally agree that maybe it would be better for everybody if for exampls cops didn't have to deal with homeless and addicts and then spend hours upon hours on paperwork detailing everything they did in the interaction. We have plenty of trained social workers specifically for this... and then the cops can focus on tracking down who broke into my truck instead. I find most people behind the "defund" movement is actually looking for this kind of thing, but then there's a bunch of morons who literally mean to abolish the police force instead, and then the whole thing falls apart to anybody who's slightly rational. I get that the "rational" people are trying to affect a change, but maaaan, couldn't you push for it to be called "restructure law enforcement" or something instead of using the word "defund?"

Similarly for the opposite side of the spectrum, there are people who want to deregulate aspects of our society, and there definitely are plenty of things with convoluted regulations that impede progress or prevent fair market competition. But then there are the people who think "complete deregulation" is a solution and that "the market" will fix all problems... and then we have an explosion like the one in Beirut. Or the West Texas one a few years ago.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

The players want protection from something that they have about a one in a million chance of dying from. Their odds of dying out on the field are probably equal to covid