Bad News Coming Our Way

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

I am hearing some rumors that UW classes are going to online only. And you all know the domino effect from there...

:evil:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Not good at all.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Patriot League nixed fall sports today, as did Howard U. Not looking good for anything! Montana is still planning on campus classes for the time being.
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

That is bad news. I have not heard this yet but it wouldn't shock me because the majority of faculty members were already forced to move their classes online (i.e.the classrooms were measured with a 6 foot space between students and the average classroom held only between 8-10 students).
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Plus there's this: Over 20% decline in student count for the fall.

https://www.wyomingnews.com/coronavirus ... f098f.html
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times

It really started becoming somewhat clear with the lame-duck governor committing to fund UW with an extra 26.5 million to open this fall. Given the state's financial standing and future outlook - that is a bad call imo. Time to drain the WYO swamp - there are too many overpaid do-nothings in government roles (state, county, city, etc.).
Last edited by McPeachy on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Let's all face it 2020 will be a wash, one to look back on and say WTF was that all about. I don't forsee any fall sports of any kind during this political debocle, imho, sorry
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Sucks, I feel like this team could win the conference.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Once a D1 conference announces they have canceled the season the dominoes will fall. I didn't think we would see a fall 2020 football season and even moving it to spring is too optimistic. Push everything back to 2021 and grant another year of eligibility, hopefully by then we can return to a normal college football atmosphere with fans being able to attend.
I'm good for 3!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

There's too much t.v. money involved for people to cancel sports. European soccer is playing games. Most pro sports are trying to figure out a way to play for the t.v. partners. The MWC doesnt make much off t.v. money so were more likely to cancel, but MWC teams are dependent on gate receipts and t.v. cash, just as much as anyone else.

On the bright side:

1. Craig Bohl is a coach with an elite ability to develop guys. We find 1 or 2 star guys like Josh and Logan and a couple years later their names get called on day 1 of the draft. When you have a staff that excels at developing players, an extra year of development is a huge advantage.

2. Imagine how big, dominant, and deep our oline will be after a year off the field and in the weight room?

3. Our conference schedule won't change. We'll still get SDSU, AFA, Boise, and Utah State at home when we restart. Hopefully Burman can re-schedule the Utah home game.

If football does get cancelled this season I think it helps us in the long term. I don't want that to happen, but worse case it does, we'll still have our best chance to win the conference in years.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

This thread is better for current affairs on conference. A perspective I heard from someone in an athletic department in the G5 ranks (all I will say) who stressed this was just random conversation (i.e. no inside information). However, it was interesting speculation.

This will be the P5 and G5 split and will become permanent.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 pm This thread is better for current affairs on conference. A perspective I heard from someone in an athletic department in the G5 ranks (all I will say) who stressed this was just random conversation (i.e. no inside information). However, it was interesting speculation.

P5 are butt-hole wipes. Money says Boise jumps ship if that happens. And CSU would try but nobody would take 'em.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

'PokeForLife wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:44 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 pm This thread is better for current affairs on conference. A perspective I heard from someone in an athletic department in the G5 ranks (all I will say) who stressed this was just random conversation (i.e. no inside information). However, it was interesting speculation.

P5 are butt-hole wipes. Money says Boise jumps ship if that happens. And CSU would try but nobody would take 'em.
No one wants Boise. The P5 will contract a few teams like Oregon State and Washington State to boot. The P5 is not expanding and sharing all that money.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I have been watching Paul Finebaum on the South Eastern Conference Network (SECN). The last couple of weeks Paul Finebaum has had a number of Conference Commissioners on his show giving opinions about whether there will or don't be a 2020 season. Obviously, no one knows for sure. But after listening to the various opinions I am a little more confident than I was three weeks ago about having a 2020 football season of some type. Three weeks ago I was only about 10% optimistic that there would be a fall football season. Today I feel the odds have moved up to a solid 30% chance of having a fall season.

There is going to be leadership to coordinate guidelines between all Power 5 conferences and maybe Group of 8 conferences. There are going to be standardized testing protocols between all schools, that in and of itself will be a tremendous step forward.

Basically, the SEC ADs think there could be a full scheduled played including non-conference games- I personally think that would be a stretch but we will have to wait and see. Many of the Sports Writers, ADs, etc. that were on the Paul Finebaum show said the Big 10 and the Pac 12 jumped too soon to make the decision to play only conference games.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

NM governor asks Lobos to stand down....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ll-sports/
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:46 am NM governor asks Lobos to stand down....

Here is the latest data from the swampy CDC concerning deaths from this Covid nonsense. Scroll down and look at the column in bold on the left-hand side of the table. Deaths have fallen precipitously over the last few weeks, nationwide. Enough is enough. This BS coming out of New Mexico now is comical and is nothing but politics.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

The NM governor is a totalitarian tyrant
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

POKE FAN wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:41 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:46 am NM governor asks Lobos to stand down....

Here is the latest data from the swampy CDC concerning deaths from this Covid nonsense. Scroll down and look at the column in bold on the left-hand side of the table. Deaths have fallen precipitously over the last few weeks, nationwide. Enough is enough. This BS coming out of New Mexico now is comical and is nothing but politics.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm
The next chart down is a perfect example of why trying to control everything from a federal standpoint is so stupid and why Trump being blamed for everything is idiotic. One column is the percentage of expected deaths to this point. USA is at 107%. Many states are under 100%. Wyo is at 102%. Each state should always retain the ability to make decisions for itself because of how big and diverse our country is.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Furthermore if you read all the notes you’ll see that inconsistencies in reporting render the numbers essentially useless for comparison.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Honestly, with COVID, it makes sense that your large lecture hall classes be remote/online. Is it as good as being in the classroom, no, but how much interaction actually happens between the students and lecturer in those classes? I guess my point is, if these large lecture hall classes are the ones being moved to online while they are keeping your smaller classes in person, I don't see it as a death knell quite yet.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville