For you insiders: Budget Fallout for Athletics?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Any of you in the know heard any information about the budget crisis impacts on UW and UW athletics? Sounds like some of the JUCOs may hit athletics pretty hard.

Going to be a rough couple of years for government programs in all states.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I read where CU is cutting the cross country coach's salary by 30 percent. In fact, there is considerable doubt that cross country will even happen this fall. Problems with team travel and mass starts are significant issues. If a 7 person cross country team where runners are all breathing in one direction and spread out over hundreds of yards, is an issue then I don't see how football, with far bigger issues regarding travel and player contact, can happen this year.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:30 am I read where CU is cutting the cross country coach's salary by 30 percent. In fact, there is considerable doubt that cross country will even happen this fall. Problems with team travel and mass starts are significant issues. If a 7 person cross country team where runners are all breathing in one direction and spread out over hundreds of yards, is an issue then I don't see how football, with far bigger issues regarding travel and player contact, can happen this year.
Honestly...because cross country doesn't bring in millions of dollars, football does. It's sad to say it, but I think this will come down to the financial aspect more than the Covid concerns.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Just a rumor but...I heard earlier today from a friend that OU is going to decide whether to have a season or not within the next two weeks. If they decide to not to have a season, there's going to be a major ripple effect of schools just cancelling games.

BTW, the NFL had to cancel the 2020 NFL Hall of Fame game in Canton, OH scheduled for August 6th. Dallas and Pittsburgh were supposed to play each other.

Four games involving FCS schools had to be cancelled due to COVID-19.

AND...as most probably knows both Gillette College and Sheridan College dropped athletics.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

This article raises interesting points:
https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news ... -athletics

Definitely going to be some soul searching this fall. Debt is a cruel master.

Wyoming's budget crisis means we will also be facing extreme challenges. I can't believe Sheridan and Gillette had to cut JUCO sports. This next year is going to bad, but the following year will likely be worse. You can always argue for higher taxes, but when much of the workforce relies on income from natural resources and much of the industry revenues are from natural resources, there isn't a lot of room to tax. Add in the fact that nearly 25% of Wyoming's workforce is by a government entity, it gets scarier because obviously government relies on tax dollars.

Buckle up. The main impact of the COVID crisis looms very large. I hope UW and UW athletics have a solid plan to weather the storm (I think Burman generally does pretty well in this regard).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:48 am This article raises interesting points:
https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news ... -athletics

Definitely going to be some soul searching this fall. Debt is a cruel master.

Wyoming's budget crisis means we will also be facing extreme challenges. I can't believe Sheridan and Gillette had to cut JUCO sports. This next year is going to bad, but the following year will likely be worse. You can always argue for higher taxes, but when much of the workforce relies on income from natural resources and much of the industry revenues are from natural resources, there isn't a lot of room to tax. Add in the fact that nearly 25% of Wyoming's workforce is by a government entity, it gets scarier because obviously government relies on tax dollars.

Buckle up. The main impact of the COVID crisis looms very large. I hope UW and UW athletics have a solid plan to weather the storm (I think Burman generally does pretty well in this regard).
Great points! It is going to be bad. To avoid the State going bankrupt and maintaining a viable economy, we are going to need the legislature's brightest thinkers to step up and for the rest to buy-in, stop wasting time and to come to real solutions.

Anyone can be a good leader when times are good. The real ones are those that can get the state through things when times are tough. I'm hopeful.