Vigen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Here's a stat I wouldn't have guessed, we ranked 32nd in 3rd down conversion percentage (.433). That is actually pretty good especially considering we didn't have much of a passing game.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:10 am Here's a stat I wouldn't have guessed, we ranked 32nd in 3rd down conversion percentage (.433). That is actually pretty good especially considering we didn't have much of a passing game.
Fascinating...I was under the impression that 3rd down conversion percentage was held up as one of the stats that has really strong correlation w/success. That is really high for an otherwise "bad" offense. Could be a couple of reasons for this. Maybe...when Bohl's Cowboys have 3rd and short ... they convert at a higher than expected rate. All teams will have success if they have shorter yardage situations but some teams (notably spread/finesse types) under-perform in these situations. I noticed that AFA ranks second in the nation by third down conversion percentage...the problem with the AFA's and Wyoming's of the world is that they need to string together a lot of successful short-yardage plays to score. hopefully we can add in some dynamism along with the consistency in third and short...I suppose that is not really revelatory....literally everybody is trying to do that.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:57 pm
fromolwyoming wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:10 pm
WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:04 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:35 pm I'm curious to see how much we lose on the defense due to our coaches being poached. Hopefully we're buckled in for the future and the defense is more a reflection of Bohl's coaching of our position coaches and coordinators, but it's definitely a wild card. Losing Logan Wilson will also hurt, but I do think we have some talent at LB, at least.

With all that said, if we're going to have a decent season, offense needs to improve. Even top 75 would be a huge step up.
I like the o-line we are bringing back. We are pretty deep at reciever and te. Running backs look good. When this damned offense clicks, its brutal. I hope that is our 2020 year.
Our main issue is that all our top pass catchers graduated. Even then, its not like we were that big a threat through the air all season. We were more of an option team that would sometimes pass the ball. We do have 2 very good running QBs, but as we've seen, it takes quite the toll on them.

If our passing ability could just get to at least the low 50% on a consistent basis, we'll have a strong year on offense.
According to Sports Reference, the 2019-2020 Wyoming Cowboys offense had 109 total receptions. TOTAL. Between Running Backs, Wide Receivers, and Tight Ends. 109. Those 109 receptions generated 1,770 total yards and 11 touchdowns.

AC - 23 Receptions 314 Yards 1 Touchdown
Rocket - 23 Receptions 355 Yards 2 Touchdowns
Harshman - 20 Receptions 264 Yards 2 Touchdowns
Valladay - 11 Receptions 211 Yards 2 touchdowns

Those are the only people who caught double digit balls.

I understand losing AC and Rocket tugs the heart strings a little but c'mon. I don't think we are going to see any noticeable drop off in the passing game.
Not saying we were a threat. Like, much at all. I do hope the next guys up and another year in the system improves our passing game, even a bit though.