OT: 2020 Cheyenne Frontier Days cancelled

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:34 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 am COVID logic:
Hold a gathering with over 250 and you'll be fined.

Hold a riot with hundreds looting and burning and you are fine.
Glad to see they're wearing their masks. Don't want to get the 'rona or pass it to anyone else when you're out committing crimes. So considerate of those around you
Saw reports from Detroit and Minneapolis that many (all) are not even natives of those cities. They are traveling in and I'm sure following the appropriate self-quarantine guidelines :roll:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:17 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:18 am
These closing are about 2 words: Liability and Sponsorship. The economic fallout because of our response to the virus greatly limits the financial ability of businesses to provide sponsorship and some businesses wouldn't want to be associated with large gatherings for fear of a negative media mob running them down. Secondly, our government has failed to pass to protections against lawsuits for contracting COVID. The state, the rodeo committees, hell maybe the janitor could all be on the hook for a lawsuit if someone contracted COVID and attended the rodeo even if they caught it on the way to the rodeo. These are the things that will devastate this country. The economic depression and fear of litigation will stifle this country for years if not decades.
I would agree with a lot of this. I would add the third thing and probably most important thing that cancelled Frontier Days comes down to economics not directly related to sponsorship and that is attendance. CFD was going to lose BIG this year if it was held. The CFD committee mitigated its losses by simply having the Governor cancel (i.e. contractual escape clauses if the event can't happen for reasons outside the control of the event planner).

I watched Governor Gordon's speech and have to say that he impresses me as a person. He fell on the sword for CFD and all of the other rodeo committees. Unfortunately for Gordon, his decision could negatively implicate his re-election chances...although I personally gained more respect for him as a leader.

PS: I am against shutdowns about as much as anyone.
Are you guys sure about this? Myself and many others in the Fort Collins area were planning on attending either concerts or the rodeo. We were waiting to purchase tickets because everything has been cancelled lately. I think people are starving for some live entertainment. If your right, I'm really underestimating the public's fear of the virus.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:17 am
These closing are about 2 words: Liability and Sponsorship. The economic fallout because of our response to the virus greatly limits the financial ability of businesses to provide sponsorship and some businesses wouldn't want to be associated with large gatherings for fear of a negative media mob running them down. Secondly, our government has failed to pass to protections against lawsuits for contracting COVID. The state, the rodeo committees, hell maybe the janitor could all be on the hook for a lawsuit if someone contracted COVID and attended the rodeo even if they caught it on the way to the rodeo. These are the things that will devastate this country. The economic depression and fear of litigation will stifle this country for years if not decades.
I would agree with a lot of this. I would add the third thing and probably most important thing that cancelled Frontier Days comes down to economics not directly related to sponsorship and that is attendance. CFD was going to lose BIG this year if it was held. The CFD committee mitigated its losses by simply having the Governor cancel (i.e. contractual escape clauses if the event can't happen for reasons outside the control of the event planner).

I watched Governor Gordon's speech and have to say that he impresses me as a person. He fell on the sword for CFD and all of the other rodeo committees. Unfortunately for Gordon, his decision could negatively implicate his re-election chances...although I personally gained more respect for him as a leader.

Are you guys sure about this? Myself and many others in the Fort Collins area were planning on attending either concerts or the rodeo. We were waiting to purchase tickets because everything has been cancelled lately. I think people are starving for some live entertainment. If your right, I'm really underestimating the public's fear of the virus.
My hunch is sponsorship is the biggest. Either sponsors don't have the money or don't want to be associated with hosting a big event. I personally know of another major event in another state that cancelled due to sponsors not wanting to be associated with large gathering due to potential blow back from "bucking the system". Most big community events like rodeos and others rely on sponsorship to balance the books. Without it, they lose their tails regardless of attendance.

Just my speculation.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:55 am

My hunch is sponsorship is the biggest. Either sponsors don't have the money or don't want to be associated with hosting a big event. I personally know of another major event in another state that cancelled due to sponsors not wanting to be associated with large gathering due to potential blow back from "bucking the system". Most big community events like rodeos and others rely on sponsorship to balance the books. Without it, they lose their tails regardless of attendance.

Just my speculation.
I never considered that. I remember Castle Pines lost their PGA event when Sprint backed out and they could not find another title sponsor. Never mind they had tv money from CBS and the attendance was huge.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:55 am

Just my speculation.
Definitely a BIG part of it. Some of CFD’s biggest sponsors are really struggling (such as Devon Energy, etc..). I think Laramie Jubilee Days had something like 2 of 20 sponsorship slots filled when usually it would have had all 20.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Looks like Cody is pushing back on this. Trying to find a way to get their nightly rodeo up and going and still hold the Stampede and the Xtreme Bull Riding competition.

Powell Tribune Article
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

It looks like the big headliners may have had a lot to do with it.

Eric Church - no shows since 2019. Nothing on the schedule until Aug. 7.

Blake Shelton - no shows since February. Nothing on his schedule at all.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:39 pm Looks like Cody is pushing back on this. Trying to find a way to get their nightly rodeo up and going and still hold the Stampede and the Xtreme Bull Riding competition.

Powell Tribune Article
Here's the big thing from that story that applies to CFD: The state is limiting events to 250 people until June 15. What's the minimum attendance CFD would need to break even? I don't see how that 250 person limit would all of sudden become several thousand people on June 16. CFD would be looking at limiting attendance at all events to maybe 2,000 people if you feel really optimistic.