COVID-19

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1779
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: Laramie, Wyoming

How are you all dealing with it?

I'm bummed out about spring ball. I bet Bohl will make it a badass fall season (if we get to play football this year).

Its a nasty virus. I hope everyone who gets it recovers. Unfortunately, at the moment, its nasty.

We can give it to each other. The vulnerable populations keep changing. The data is young.

We can keep the economy going. Let me know if your in the Laramie area and need help. PM me and I'll drop off food, medicine, or whatever.

Take care of yourselves, Wyomingites. And of course, Go Pokes!
User avatar
phxpoke
Cowpoke
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: The Valley of The Sun

Great post X. There are many Poke fans across the country who are willing to help others. Everyone stay cowboy tough and help others first.
User avatar
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6650
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

I just hope people actually stay responsible so we can slow down the spread and keep this from really screwing us over. Awesome way to be there for your fellow human beings in Laramie too! :)
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA

My cousin is an E.R. nurse in Phoenix, mother of three little girls, just tested positive this morning. Got sick yesterday. A few weeks ago the hospital told them to stop wearing masks. They later changed their minds, but now the Sh#t is getting bad. The day before she got sick she went to my Aunt and Uncles house for a Easter dinner, along with other members of the family.

Also, she got sick in February and had the same symptoms, but didn't get tested. She may have a reactivation. We need a vaccine.

My childhood best friends parents, almost second family to me, both have been sick... How they got sick is beyond me as they live on a ranch north of Riverton. They have just started feeling better... 30! Days latter. Wtf, a month of battle with this f##k[#].

It's a scary time, a weird time, something I don't want to experience again. I pray for wyonation, please send a prayer my family's way. Let's get through this!
ragtimejoe1
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 3121
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:21 pm

I think at most will be football in empty stadiums, and that is at most. The university will analyze this from a worst case scenario liability perspective. If 1 player gets the virus and they track it to university activities, the liability is high if something happens to the player. I hope it doesn't come to canceling football, but it might. I hope our athletic department can financially withstand this mess.

The other scary side to this virus is exactly that, the financial crisis. Not just universities but many state agencies (hospitals for example) are in dire straits. The states are facing huge deficits so not sure how they can help. The businesses and industries that support the states are quickly going bankrupt. They are not coming back with a magic wave of wand on "reopening day".

The virus is scary and the economic consequences are even scarier. Buckle up. It's going to be a rough year and I get the feeling "we ain't seen nothin' yet". I think we'll get there, but I worry the path to the other side of this crap is a treacherous one.
"There's always excuses for a sports program not winning or academic program not succeeding. And it's not that the excuses aren't true; it's that they aren't sufficient," --Sternberg
User avatar
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7382
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

The only thing scary about the virus is our response. Thousands upon thousands of people die from viruses every year. This one had a little surge. We always be wary about infecting other people and use best practices. Open it up.
W-Y, Until I Die!
User avatar
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Posts: 12589
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Laramie, Home of the Cowboys

laxwyo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:19 pm
The only thing scary about the virus is our response. Thousands upon thousands of people die from viruses every year. This one had a little surge. We always be wary about infecting other people and use best practices. Open it up.
They are still finding ways this virus is spreading. Through the air, touch, staying on objects up to days at a time, even through people simply walking through areas.

And that's not even touching on the virus rebounding (seemingly coming back out of nowhere in a number of patients).

South Korea is about the only country that really locked this thing down and contained the outbreak (so far). Everyone else has gotten hammered. Yes, the response time sucked, but the rate this virus travels from person to person, that is the scary thing. Even now, China's "shut down" and "only 4,000 dead" is getting tossed out the window with numbers coming in the 10s of thousands. Italy, well, that's no secret. New York is only just flattening out, but its now popping up in other cities like wildfires.

So until a vaccine is created, and herd immunity to this becomes a thing, simply tossing caution to the wind is a good way to get this stuff to make second, third, and forth rounds.
User avatar
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City but from Casper, WY

fromolwyoming wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:23 am
laxwyo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:19 pm
The only thing scary about the virus is our response. Thousands upon thousands of people die from viruses every year. This one had a little surge. We always be wary about infecting other people and use best practices. Open it up.
They are still finding ways this virus is spreading. Through the air, touch, staying on objects up to days at a time, even through people simply walking through areas.

And that's not even touching on the virus rebounding (seemingly coming back out of nowhere in a number of patients).

South Korea is about the only country that really locked this thing down and contained the outbreak (so far). Everyone else has gotten hammered. Yes, the response time sucked, but the rate this virus travels from person to person, that is the scary thing. Even now, China's "shut down" and "only 4,000 dead" is getting tossed out the window with numbers coming in the 10s of thousands. Italy, well, that's no secret. New York is only just flattening out, but its now popping up in other cities like wildfires.

So until a vaccine is created, and herd immunity to this becomes a thing, simply tossing caution to the wind is a good way to get this stuff to make second, third, and forth rounds.
Both the infamous Black Death (late 1340s) and the Spanish Flu (1918-1920) had several rounds before leaving. The Spanish Flu, I believe, had 3 rounds before that pandemic left the building.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken Sh#t! And we're getting chicken Sh#t!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7382
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

fromolwyoming wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:23 am
laxwyo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:19 pm
The only thing scary about the virus is our response. Thousands upon thousands of people die from viruses every year. This one had a little surge. We always be wary about infecting other people and use best practices. Open it up.
They are still finding ways this virus is spreading. Through the air, touch, staying on objects up to days at a time, even through people simply walking through areas.

And that's not even touching on the virus rebounding (seemingly coming back out of nowhere in a number of patients).

South Korea is about the only country that really locked this thing down and contained the outbreak (so far). Everyone else has gotten hammered. Yes, the response time sucked, but the rate this virus travels from person to person, that is the scary thing. Even now, China's "shut down" and "only 4,000 dead" is getting tossed out the window with numbers coming in the 10s of thousands. Italy, well, that's no secret. New York is only just flattening out, but its now popping up in other cities like wildfires.

So until a vaccine is created, and herd immunity to this becomes a thing, simply tossing caution to the wind is a good way to get this stuff to make second, third, and forth rounds.
How do those boots taste? Every day they’re learning the infection rate is much higher and that means the hospitalization and death rates are magnitudes lower. But hey we put 20 million out of work to save a few thousand people. We’ve never made that trade before and never should. There’s barely a difference in any country aside from a couple like South Korea. I praise our governor every day for standing up to the wankers at the papers and never ordered a shelter in place.
W-Y, Until I Die!
DVDA
Cowpoke
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 pm
Location: Laramie, WY

laxwyo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 am
fromolwyoming wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:23 am
laxwyo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:19 pm
The only thing scary about the virus is our response. Thousands upon thousands of people die from viruses every year. This one had a little surge. We always be wary about infecting other people and use best practices. Open it up.
They are still finding ways this virus is spreading. Through the air, touch, staying on objects up to days at a time, even through people simply walking through areas.

And that's not even touching on the virus rebounding (seemingly coming back out of nowhere in a number of patients).

South Korea is about the only country that really locked this thing down and contained the outbreak (so far). Everyone else has gotten hammered. Yes, the response time sucked, but the rate this virus travels from person to person, that is the scary thing. Even now, China's "shut down" and "only 4,000 dead" is getting tossed out the window with numbers coming in the 10s of thousands. Italy, well, that's no secret. New York is only just flattening out, but its now popping up in other cities like wildfires.

So until a vaccine is created, and herd immunity to this becomes a thing, simply tossing caution to the wind is a good way to get this stuff to make second, third, and forth rounds.
How do those boots taste? Every day they’re learning the infection rate is much higher and that means the hospitalization and death rates are magnitudes lower. But hey we put 20 million out of work to save a few thousand people. We’ve never made that trade before and never should. There’s barely a difference in any country aside from a couple like South Korea. I praise our governor every day for standing up to the wankers at the papers and never ordered a shelter in place.
You sound like those people that put "attended school of hard knocks" on social media.
User avatar
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 3423
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:11 am
Location: Cheyenne, WY

laxwyo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 am
How do those boots taste? Every day they’re learning the infection rate is much higher and that means the hospitalization and death rates are magnitudes lower. But hey we put 20 million out of work to save a few thousand people. We’ve never made that trade before and never should. There’s barely a difference in any country aside from a couple like South Korea. I praise our governor every day for standing up to the wankers at the papers and never ordered a shelter in place.
The mortality rate on this is 3.2%. That is INCREDIBLY high for an infectious disease. The Spanish Flu mortality rate was 2%, and that killed 50 million people worldwide. So far in the US alone even with all of these orders to stay home it has killed off nearly the population of Laramie. That's a lot of dead people.

Here's the big problem. Let's say we all just go on with our lives and let the virus kill whoever it kills. The hospitals will be so overwhelmed that your parents and grandparents won't even be admitted. They're going to die anyway, so why bother? Oh, and that car accident your wife was in? They've got no room in the hospital, so even though she could have been saved she's dead. Your kid had an asthma attack? Dead. You fell off the ladder while you were cleaning out gutters? Internal bleeding is going to kill you too. There will be so many preventable deaths that the death toll will be several orders of magnitude higher than if we just stayed home.

The University of Wyoming recently released a pretty comprehensive study. If we lift all of the stay at home orders now it will cost us $5.2 TRILLION more than it is now.
https://trib.com/news/state-and-regiona ... 84db47d8c7

So here's the bottom line: Don't be an idiot. If you decide "to hell with it, if I catch this I'll be fine so I'm just going to do whatever I want" you will kill people. Period. It could be a person you never met. It could be your neighbor. It could be someone in your family. It could be you. You would be less lethal if you just walked into the street and started shooting. At least then you'd only kill a couple of people and we would have one less moron in the world when you got taken out.
Image
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6157
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Cheyenne, again

Good stuff, got furloughed myself, never have i spent more time at home than ever before. Things will be ok and hope Wyoming can be a test case state and get the economy up and going again. Football will be an interesting season for sure, adjustments will need to be made and we should be fine, maybe not a full season but we shall see, Stay safe everyone and Go Pokes
User avatar
'PokeForLife
Ranch Hand
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:40 pm

I can't believe there are still people who think that the death rate is 3.2%. Holy cow.
User avatar
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:44 pm
Location: Sheridan, WY

WYO1016 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:19 am

The mortality rate on this is 3.2%. That is INCREDIBLY high for an infectious disease. The Spanish Flu mortality rate was 2%, and that killed 50 million people worldwide. So far in the US alone even with all of these orders to stay home it has killed off nearly the population of Laramie. That's a lot of dead people.
There's a strong probability that number is wildly exaggerated.

The numerator (number of deaths) counts any death that is assumed to be COVID, even with no test. This includes things like heart attacks, pneumonia, and cancer. New York just added 3,700 previous deaths to their count retroactively this week. They're pumping their numbers up. It turns out their ICU beds are not overrun, and they didn't need as many ventilators as they called for.

The denominator (people with COVID) is only accounting for people who've tested positive. Many have had COVID with little to no symptoms (no test).

Do you see how that math plays out?

As a society, we accept some risk for the overall good. Otherwise, we'd outlaw driving or alcohol consumption. Imagine how many lives that would save!

It's time to get back to work while we care and protect those that are most vulnerable. This hard edge shutdown has run its course.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 pm

WYO1016 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:19 am
laxwyo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 am
How do those boots taste? Every day they’re learning the infection rate is much higher and that means the hospitalization and death rates are magnitudes lower. But hey we put 20 million out of work to save a few thousand people. We’ve never made that trade before and never should. There’s barely a difference in any country aside from a couple like South Korea. I praise our governor every day for standing up to the wankers at the papers and never ordered a shelter in place.
The mortality rate on this is 3.2%. That is INCREDIBLY high for an infectious disease. The Spanish Flu mortality rate was 2%, and that killed 50 million people worldwide. So far in the US alone even with all of these orders to stay home it has killed off nearly the population of Laramie. That's a lot of dead people.

Here's the big problem. Let's say we all just go on with our lives and let the virus kill whoever it kills. The hospitals will be so overwhelmed that your parents and grandparents won't even be admitted. They're going to die anyway, so why bother? Oh, and that car accident your wife was in? They've got no room in the hospital, so even though she could have been saved she's dead. Your kid had an asthma attack? Dead. You fell off the ladder while you were cleaning out gutters? Internal bleeding is going to kill you too. There will be so many preventable deaths that the death toll will be several orders of magnitude higher than if we just stayed home.

The University of Wyoming recently released a pretty comprehensive study. If we lift all of the stay at home orders now it will cost us $5.2 TRILLION more than it is now.
https://trib.com/news/state-and-regiona ... 84db47d8c7

So here's the bottom line: Don't be an idiot. If you decide "to hell with it, if I catch this I'll be fine so I'm just going to do whatever I want" you will kill people. Period. It could be a person you never met. It could be your neighbor. It could be someone in your family. It could be you. You would be less lethal if you just walked into the street and started shooting. At least then you'd only kill a couple of people and we would have one less moron in the world when you got taken out.
Where to begin? So much disinformation..... First, the mortality rate is not 3.2 percent. In most states, the only people getting tested are those that have serious symptoms and/or have been admitted to the hospital. People who are asympomatic or who stayed home with symptoms are not included as positive. In Colorado, 357 deaths and 90 percent of the deaths are people 70 and older. 5 percent of the deaths are people under 40. Half of all the deaths are occurring at nursing homes. Here in Larimer county, there are 356k people and we've had less than 200 cases and 9 deaths. We are wrecking our entire economy for perhaps the next decade to save mostly elderly people. You think the gov't can keep printing money forever?
Beyond that, to call people who want to resume their lives "morons" and "idiots" just goes to show the herd mentality in this country. You sound like the type that if the gov't tells you to stay home for the next year, you'd do it without question. Are you aware hospitals are closing right now? They were all geared up for covid patients who never came. The hospitals are not allowed to schedule elective surgeries so they can't make any money and they have nothing to do. Hospitals are laying off medical staff. Thanks to the sky is falling crowd like yourself, if we get a second wave of this virus, we will be less prepared than the first go round.
User avatar
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7382
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

DVDA wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:44 am
laxwyo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 am
fromolwyoming wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:23 am
laxwyo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:19 pm
The only thing scary about the virus is our response. Thousands upon thousands of people die from viruses every year. This one had a little surge. We always be wary about infecting other people and use best practices. Open it up.
They are still finding ways this virus is spreading. Through the air, touch, staying on objects up to days at a time, even through people simply walking through areas.

And that's not even touching on the virus rebounding (seemingly coming back out of nowhere in a number of patients).

South Korea is about the only country that really locked this thing down and contained the outbreak (so far). Everyone else has gotten hammered. Yes, the response time sucked, but the rate this virus travels from person to person, that is the scary thing. Even now, China's "shut down" and "only 4,000 dead" is getting tossed out the window with numbers coming in the 10s of thousands. Italy, well, that's no secret. New York is only just flattening out, but its now popping up in other cities like wildfires.

So until a vaccine is created, and herd immunity to this becomes a thing, simply tossing caution to the wind is a good way to get this stuff to make second, third, and forth rounds.
How do those boots taste? Every day they’re learning the infection rate is much higher and that means the hospitalization and death rates are magnitudes lower. But hey we put 20 million out of work to save a few thousand people. We’ve never made that trade before and never should. There’s barely a difference in any country aside from a couple like South Korea. I praise our governor every day for standing up to the wankers at the papers and never ordered a shelter in place.
You sound like those people that put "attended school of hard knocks" on social media.
You sound like someone that puts “resist” in their bio and makes sure everyone knows your pronouns. Keep being a compliant useful idiot
W-Y, Until I Die!
User avatar
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7382
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

It must be tough to be a statist. How do you keep track of all [#]sh#t you’re suppose to regurgitate? How many times can the story change before you lemmings stop believe the ever changing story?
I don’t mind being safe. We’ve been home for weeks. I do mind the government basically tearing up the constitution. If I want to go fishing, I should go fishing. I don’t know how social distancing turned into “you can’t go for a run”
.
W-Y, Until I Die!
User avatar
'PokeForLife
Ranch Hand
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:40 pm

bladerunnr wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Are you aware hospitals are closing right now? They were all geared up for covid patients who never came. The hospitals are not allowed to schedule elective surgeries so they can't make any money and they have nothing to do. Hospitals are laying off medical staff. Thanks to the sky is falling crowd like yourself, if we get a second wave of this virus, we will be less prepared than the first go round.
Not just the elective surgeries. The only surgeries that CU is doing right now are urgent and emergent surgeries. For example -- if you have clear cell renal cell cancer, you get to wait until the cancer causes a blood clot to extend through your renal vein and into your vena cava before you get in for a tumor thrombectomy (that is a dangerous surgery that a lot of people don't survive. It is much much safer to take that cancer out before it causes a big clot). Other than that, the only urologic surgeries happening are trauma cases, testicular torsion, and infected kidney stones (eg if you have a big stone you get to deal with that pain unless you have a life threatening infection clogged up behind it). The uro residents work one week on, one week off right now. I don't know exact details on other surgical subspecialties, but think about orthopedics. Nothing happening there unless its ortho-onc or traumas.

Now just spitballing here -- just my thoughts and nobody else's, but curious what other people think about it... We are about ready to start producing a lot of antibody tests for relatively cheap. Quick results, think pregnancy test speed. Rather than sending out stimulus money, why doesn't the gov't pay for widespread antibody testing when its ready? Orthopods (nothing else they are doing) can stand at the doors of the hospital and people just drive up in their cars, get the antibody test through the window. Then we start to get some sort of idea about how many people have had it and we can all get back to work.
User avatar
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 3423
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:11 am
Location: Cheyenne, WY

J-Bone wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 pm
WYO1016 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:19 am

The mortality rate on this is 3.2%. That is INCREDIBLY high for an infectious disease. The Spanish Flu mortality rate was 2%, and that killed 50 million people worldwide. So far in the US alone even with all of these orders to stay home it has killed off nearly the population of Laramie. That's a lot of dead people.
There's a strong probability that number is wildly exaggerated.

The numerator (number of deaths) counts any death that is assumed to be COVID, even with no test. This includes things like heart attacks, pneumonia, and cancer. New York just added 3,700 previous deaths to their count retroactively this week. They're pumping their numbers up. It turns out their ICU beds are not overrun, and they didn't need as many ventilators as they called for.

The denominator (people with COVID) is only accounting for people who've tested positive. Many have had COVID with little to no symptoms (no test).

Do you see how that math plays out?

As a society, we accept some risk for the overall good. Otherwise, we'd outlaw driving or alcohol consumption. Imagine how many lives that would save!

It's time to get back to work while we care and protect those that are most vulnerable. This hard edge shutdown has run its course.
Ok. Let's do the math. Here are the numbers taken directly from the CDC. I'm only taking confirmed numbers, that way we don't have to worry about presumed positive or no symptoms or any other types of guessing. We'll also keep it to the US only. That way we're not including those countries that aren't nearly as good at this as we are.

632,220 confirmed cases
26,930 confirmed deaths

26,930 / 632,200 = 0.042595932

Yeah, you're right. My numbers were off. Turns out the mortality rate is 4.2595932%

Here's the link if you want to check my math: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html
Image
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:08 am

laxwyo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:23 pm
It must be tough to be a statist. How do you keep track of all [#]sh#t you’re suppose to regurgitate? How many times can the story change before you lemmings stop believe the ever changing story?
I don’t mind being safe. We’ve been home for weeks. I do mind the government basically tearing up the constitution. If I want to go fishing, I should go fishing. I don’t know how social distancing turned into “you can’t go for a run”
.
Since when can't you go for a run or go fishing? We have been going for walks almost daily except for days like today where its a blizzard.


I see people saying this isn't killing very many people and why are we doing this. Its killed over 30,000 people in a month and a half. That's with the crazy restrictions we have put in. That's a hell of a lot of people in a short time. Sure stretch that out over a year it isn't that big of deal in a country this size but in less than 2 months its a lot. Its catching heart disease as the #1 killer in America. Thankfully things are slowing down and we will start to see things opening up and hopefully we don't see another explosion of cases afterwards but its a good chance we will. We need good testing to identify those with it and the ability to test people that person came in contact with. That will help us get back to normal.

I also saw complaints about reporting heart attack etc as covid deaths. That's kinda how it works. If you have a bad ticker and you get the virus it puts strain on your body and your heart gives out. If you hadn't gotten it you wouldn't have died even though it was a heart attack. Sure there is probably some that shouldn't go on there but its hard to say. Also there looks like there is a massive under reporting of deaths from it when you look at deaths in homes during the pandemic vs to time prior due to people not going to the hospital when they get sick then they die at home and never got tested. Those aren't going into the count. It will be a while before we know the actual toll.

Anyway, it is a serious thing and its a good thing we all came together to stay at home and thankfully it looks like things are looking better and we beat the dire projections. It is good to have a discussion about opening things back up and if certain places have gone overboard. We will see what May brings but I am optimistic at least for Wyoming. Different parts of the country are gonna be on different timelines.
Post Reply