D.C.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

phxpoke wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:45 pm If I remember correctly, Marty was a pretty good recruiter. Seemed to relate to the Colorado kids.
Didn't he have some choice words about Laramie when he was coaching at csu? I'll forgive him if he recruits his ass off
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Not impressed with any of these hires at all. Have a feeling the defense is going back to being bad again.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:36 pm Not impressed with any of these hires at all. Have a feeling the defense is going back to being bad again.
Were you impressed when Bohl promoted Dickert last year? Or were you moping around back then too
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Hard to say how they'll do. English, hmmm. Will we get Joe Glenn English, or later English? Hard to say. But he did have good Colorado connections.

Otherwise, I'm in "wait and see" mode.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:51 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:36 pm Not impressed with any of these hires at all. Have a feeling the defense is going back to being bad again.
Were you impressed when Bohl promoted Dickert last year? Or were you moping around back then too

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

First off I’m not moping around as it really isn’t that important to me. Way more important stuff in life. Just commenting my opinion on it.

But as far as last year I was not worried at all with the Dickert promotion since he has been in the program and new exactly what was going on being with Hazleton.

These hires aren’t good on paper. But maybe since Bohl is still head man the defense will be okay. Hope they are but as of right now I get a Steve Stanard type feeling.

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

303cowboy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:53 pm
phxpoke wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:45 pm If I remember correctly, Marty was a pretty good recruiter. Seemed to relate to the Colorado kids.
Didn't he have some choice words about Laramie when he was coaching at csu? I'll forgive him if he recruits his A$$ off
Yes, he did. As I recall, he also said the Border War was Wyoming's "Super Bowl" while at CS-ewe. I'm just glad he's the DE coach and not D-coordinator. As long as the defensive ends remain productive and he recruits well (Colorado), fans will probably look past those comments. He has at least 30 years in the books coaching and recruiting on the Front Range. He's 56 years old.

Wondering how much weight, if any, Bart Miller had on the Sawvel choice.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

This is a total, “we trust in bohl” hire.
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:09 pm This is a total, “we trust in bohl” hire.

Agree with this. While he has made some really good hires with the strength coach and offensive line coach as well as the last 2 defensive coordinators you just never know for sure because he still has Vigen as the OC. And these hires haven’t had much success before. If it were guys that had more proven success I wouldn’t be as worried.

Hope they end up being good.

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Although Sawvel's time at Wake Forest ended on a low note, he seemed to be a fan favorite in Minnesota and very much respected. A few comments from prior years:

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:55 pm Although Sawvel's time at Wake Forest ended on a low note, he seemed to be a fan favorite in Minnesota and very much respected. A few comments from prior years:

Thanks for looking this up and finding it. When I looked up Minnesota and Wake Forest those years he coached there his time at Minnesota looked decent with Kill but overall his time with Wake didn’t seem to be great. But the ACC is a different animal than the MWC. Hope he finds a lot of success here for Wyoming.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Overall, I think good hires. Tons of experience and the Wake situation doesn't concern me. He'll be coming into a situation of excellent facilities and good budget relative to conference peers. There aren't very many really good offenses and the overall talent in the MWC isn't good enough to create significant talent gaps. They'll do fine in this league.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

The Marty English hire is surprising to me. I don't see how Bohl would have any ties to him and English generally ran a 3-4 under Glenn (although he did oversee a 4-3 as the DC/LB under Christensen before being let go). Seems to be very different defensive philosophies than what we have seen under Bohl. Certainly the Colorado connections will help with recruiting Colorado.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

More of a long term observation....how will this treadmill ever stop? What if this group does really well? If that is the case they'll be gone in two years .... right? If they are mediocre then we'll get stuck with them until a head coaching change and if they are bad they are still gone in two years.

Maybe i'm just a pessimist....i'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where we could have a consistently top flight football program.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Let's call this what it is, guys. This is the best outcome we could have hoped for with the timeline given. If we had lost the defensive staff in late December these hires would have looked MUCH different. That being said, Marty English knows how to recruit the front range. I'm happy he's here as a position coach. I don't know much about Sawvel, but he's got DC experience in the B1G and ACC and had success in the B1G. He's also been great with DBs, which has been a weakness for us.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

307bball wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:27 am More of a long term observation....how will this treadmill ever stop? What if this group does really well? If that is the case they'll be gone in two years .... right? If they are mediocre then we'll get stuck with them until a head coaching change and if they are bad they are still gone in two years.

Maybe i'm just a pessimist....i'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where we could have a consistently top flight football program.
See Boise State. When you get to be consistently good you need to consistently hire new coaches. This year was an anomaly for us. You don't typically lose your entire staff on one side of the ball in the same year. Most years we could promote from within and back-fill.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

I disagree. I'm not sure why you feel this way. Is it because he was fired at his last job? Well, so was Hazleton fired when he was DC at Nevada.

This guy has good experience and Marty should make a good recruiter and position coach.

I'm pleased and optimistic
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:12 am
307bball wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:27 am More of a long term observation....how will this treadmill ever stop? What if this group does really well? If that is the case they'll be gone in two years .... right? If they are mediocre then we'll get stuck with them until a head coaching change and if they are bad they are still gone in two years.

See Boise State. When you get to be consistently good you need to consistently hire new coaches. This year was an anomaly for us. You don't typically lose your entire staff on one side of the ball in the same year. Most years we could promote from within and back-fill.
Yeah...good point. BSU is literally THE gold standard scenario (at the G5 level) to be consistently good while replacing coaches.

Maybe we are at an inflection point. As I've said before...one year is the wrong window to evaluate football programs at. Look at what happened from '98 through '01. That, to me, was the last major inflection point in the Wyoming program. Unfortunately it was in the wrong direction. I'm really hoping that we aren't going to see what happened 20 years ago repeat.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Ugh Marty English... seriously? Hes only good at recruiting... scraping the bottom of the barrel. Thanks rolovitch for screwing our team over...