Dickert and others leaving for wash st

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

MrTitleist wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:19 pm
CasperCowboy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm
TrackPoke wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 pm Former UW DB coach Curt Mallory currently serves as the head coach for Indiana State. His salary is $200,000, so a move back to Wyoming would be a salary promotion.

Prior he was a Defensive Coordinator at Illinois and Akron. He was a DB coach at Wyoming (2015-16), Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Central Michigan and Ball State.
Since you’re on the topic of Missouri Valley coaches with Wyoming ties isn’t former linebacker Brian Hendricks coaching defensive line for Illinois State?
Hendricks and Ghaali Muhammad. And Brock Spack.
Illinois St. had a great defense (and good overall team) this past year. We should go after their whole staff
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

These are critical hires. If the defense takes even a minor step back, bowl eligibility will be a challenge. The coaches coming in need to understand that their side of the ball must carry the team.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

If Bohl had been a coach known for his offense, I would've worried a lot more. That said, this sucks and will almost certainly affect our defense's play. I only hope we don't lose any of our defensive recruits and that we can find talented replacements for the coaching staff.

I have no ill will toward the coaches heading for greener pastures. As much as I love my job, if I got 2.5 times the money elsewhere, it'd have to be a true dumpster fire for me not to take it... or be a job at BYU.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

What we are watching here is the emergence of a coaching tree. If you were trying to build a defensive coaching career, wouldn't you want to have an opportunity to work with Coach Bohl based on his track record?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WyoExpat wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:41 pm What we are watching here is the emergence of a coaching tree. If you were trying to build a defensive coaching career, wouldn't you want to have an opportunity to work with Coach Bohl based on his track record?
Exactly! The fact that other programs (notably P5 programs) want to hire away our young coaches is a good thing! This means we have developed a program and identity that not only develops players but that develops coaches. Just look at both North Dakota State and Boise State - they have had numerous coaches poached over the years yet continue to maintain great success due the nature of their programs (they have continued to develop coaches and hire from within).
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Coaching trees are cool to look at but not sure if they mean much. I mean the following are on the Christensen tree: Jim Harding ( OC/Associate head coach Utah, Alex Grinch (DC Oklahoma), and Marcus Arroyo (HC UNLV, OC at Oregon).
CasperCowboy
Buckaroo

Any news on potential DC hires? I’ve seen in another thread the reemergence of Mike Breske. He always had salty defenses while he was in Laramie with Glenn and company.

A fellow co-worker and I discussed this situation today...Does losing the defensive staff all in one shot hurt our recruiting class this year? I’m sure Bohl has everyone working over time to finalize this years class while he works over time to finalize his staff.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Bohl has a plan. After pondering this last week, there is no way these guys woulda left all three without Craig's blessing. He has something in store for us I'm sure of it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:35 pm Bohl has a plan. After pondering this last week, there is no way these guys woulda left all three without Craig's blessing. He has something in store for us I'm sure of it.
I'm 90%+ sure it was P5 and money that drew the coaches away regardless what Bohl thought. I would wager that <10% is due to other reasons (family, location, etc.). I'm 100% sure that Bohl's blessing probably had little to no influence. I guess it is possible that Bohl had a backup plan in mind so didn't work hard to keep them, but I would bet Bohl would prefer to keep the defensive staff together.

A small part of me wonders about the defense getting thrown under the bus post-game despite the fact that the defense has carried this team the past 2 years.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:29 am
carbonpoke wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:35 pm Bohl has a plan. After pondering this last week, there is no way these guys woulda left all three without Craig's blessing. He has something in store for us I'm sure of it.
I'm 90%+ sure it was P5 and money that drew the coaches away regardless what Bohl thought. I would wager that <10% is due to other reasons (family, location, etc.). I'm 100% sure that Bohl's blessing probably had little to no influence. I guess it is possible that Bohl had a backup plan in mind so didn't work hard to keep them, but I would bet Bohl would prefer to keep the defensive staff together.

A small part of me wonders about the defense getting thrown under the bus post-game despite the fact that the defense has carried this team the past 2 years.
I had the very same thought when I saw they were all pretty much leaving. Would have expected 1 of them to stay and take the DC position...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

HR_Poke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:26 pm

I had the very same thought when I saw they were all pretty much leaving. Would have expected 1 of them to stay and take the DC position...
Your last line is a good point. DC at WYO is better than position coach at WSU maybe monetarily and likely from a career standpoint. Maybe Bohl didn't offer any of the position coaches the DC position; maybe they didn't ask. Would be interesting to know the story.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:29 pm

Your last line is a good point. DC at WYO is better than position coach at WSU maybe monetarily and likely from a career standpoint. Maybe Bohl didn't offer any of the position coaches the DC position; maybe they didn't ask. Would be interesting to know the story.
Not monetarily: https://247sports.com/college/washingto ... 125950664/
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TrackPoke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:51 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:29 pm

Not monetarily: https://247sports.com/college/washingto ... 125950664/
Other than DC, I haven't seen announcement of other position coaches or salaries. Rolovich is making less than Leach would have; are you sure position coaches will be paid the same.

Salaries in that link are Leach era, no?
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

DVDA wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 pm If Bohl doesn't make the right hires next season could get real ugly since it's obvious Vigen is sticking around.
seems Bohl is content to be really good at running the ball while being totally inept at passing. Which is kind of bummer in an era where teams are throwing for more yards through the air than ever before. The Pokes passing game is comparable to that of service academies or teams like Kentucky who were playing former wide receivers at QB and running wildcat stuff all the time

but we did have a top 30 or so run game this past year so there's that

just need some quality at the QB position in the worst way
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Have to say I’m confident Bohl isn’t worried about this. Good executives realize that at any moment you might have to replace anyone. With his record, he’s used to his coaches being poached.
If this is the kind of thing that turns us into a losing team for a year, he’s a much worse coach than I thought.
2020 is WYOs best shot at a conference championship and losing these coaches doesn’t mean a damn thing beyond he has to hire some new coaches.
Everyone is replaceable and while this isn’t ideal, any HC worth a hoot would be able to keep momentum without major impacts to their long term strategy.
52-56
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:13 pm
What? With TVW and Chambers, this is the first time I can recall that Wyoming has two legitimate starters at that position. Both of whom could probably start for many FBS teams. Obviously Chambers is more of a runner with an inaccurate arm...but so was Tebow and I would say he had a pretty good college career.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 am
What? With TVW and Chambers, this is the first time I can recall that Wyoming has two legitimate starters at that position. Both of whom could probably start for many FBS teams. Obviously Chambers is more of a runner with an inaccurate arm...but so was Tebow and I would say he had a pretty good college career.
Umm, Tebow had something like 67 or 68% completion percentage against some of the best defenses in CFB. Chambers was just over 40% and TVW transferred.

If the defense performed to the level of the offense, we'd be 2 or 3 wins against a weak schedule.

Offense, including the QB, need to produce more. So far, the above poster is correct, neither QB has demonstrated sufficient production for whatever reason you choose. They have to do better.

If the defensive staff replacements stumble even slightly, the offensive production issue will be magnified. Hugely important that the next hires are good... they are tasked with carrying this team.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:05 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 am
Umm, Tebow had something like 67 or 68% completion percentage against some of the best defenses in CFB. Chambers was just over 40% and TVW transferred.

If the defense performed to the level of the offense, we'd be 2 or 3 wins against a weak schedule.

Offense, including the QB, need to produce more. So far, the above poster is correct, neither QB has demonstrated sufficient production for whatever reason you choose. They have to do better.

If the defensive staff replacements stumble even slightly, the offensive production issue will be magnified. Hugely important that the next hires are good... they are tasked with carrying this team.
Yea, I should have had that morning coffee. I meant Levi Williams. TVW would have been a serviceable backup but it is probably good that he has opened up a roster spot to develop other QBs.