Dickert and others leaving for wash st

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CasperCowboy
Buckaroo

I hate to see these coaches leave but unfortunately it’s the reality of the profession. Best wishes to all. Any ideas as to who Bohl could bring in as DC? Any connections to Power 5 assistants ready to call the shots?
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

DVDA wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 pm If Bohl doesn't make the right hires next season could get real ugly since it's obvious Vigen is sticking around.
I was bummed when CSU didn’t try and steal him away.
CasperCowboy
Buckaroo

I’m too far removed but somebody mentioned Rocky Long—would he leave a head job to call along side Bohl?

Marty English? (Where is he now?)

Any SEC / ACC upcomers?

I just hope that whoever Bohl hires he keeps the same style of defense / scheme. Our boys have played too well on that side of the ball to have to learn and adapt another system.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Let's not bring Marty English back. He did enough crap talking towards our State when he was at CSU.

I can't blame the guys for leaving. They'll get more pay and probably have an easier time recruiting. And heck, maybe they'll have some fans that give them the credit they deserve instead of giving it all to the offensive scheme. We had so many fans that treated them like a liability instead of giving them props for being our strength. It's no wonder they left.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

CasperCowboy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:02 pm I’m too far removed but somebody mentioned Rocky Long—would he leave a head job to call along side Bohl?

Any SEC / ACC upcomers?

I just hope that whoever Bohl hires he keeps the same style of defense / scheme. Our boys have played too well on that side of the ball to have to learn and adapt another system.
Rocky has retired from SDSU.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

CasperCowboy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:02 pm I’m too far removed but somebody mentioned Rocky Long—would he leave a head job to call along side Bohl?

Any SEC / ACC upcomers?

Marty English just got fired from Northern Colorado. That hire would make no sense as he has a completely different defensive philosophy (and one that would not work).

Rocky Long is a possibility but doubt he would accept the pay that Wyoming would offer. I bet Rocky ends up at a P5 defensive coordinator position this year or next.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bohl looks toward the current defensive staff at North Dakota State.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Marty English? Forget that loser.

What about Joe Burrow's dad?
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

This sucks, but I can't really blame him.

Dickert was getting 200 or 250k, while his incompetent counterpart on the other side of the ball is raking in 500k. He took over for Hazleton who was in that 500k range as well. Dickert easily deserved a raise this year to match what his predecessor was making, but I sure didn't hear any announcements from Bohl in that regards.

Bohl should reduce our inept O coordinator salary and dedicate that money towards assistants that actually produce results on the field.

It will be interesting who Bohl finds this late in the carousel game. Maybe pull from that NDSU connection.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Information on the path this business transaction could have taken.

https://www.si.com/college/wyoming/foot ... sive-staff
CasperCowboy
Buckaroo

fromolwyoming wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:07 am

Any SEC / ACC upcomers?

Rocky has retired from SDSU.
I was unaware. Interesting.
CasperCowboy
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:54 am

Any SEC / ACC upcomers?

Marty English just got fired from Northern Colorado. That hire would make no sense as he has a completely different defensive philosophy (and one that would not work).

Rocky Long is a possibility but doubt he would accept the pay that Wyoming would offer. I bet Rocky ends up at a P5 defensive coordinator position this year or next.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bohl looks toward the current defensive staff at North Dakota State.
I agree. I’m sure Bohl has looked into the current North Dakota State staff and potentially the K-State assistants considering most of that staff came from Fargo. They know the Bohl style and “recipe”. Having watched both programs throughout the bowl and playoff season you would think one of their assistants would be ready for the jump.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Something being overlooked here is that we need more than just a DC. We need a defensive running game coordinator, DE coach, CB coach, ST coordinator, and Safeties coach. Those positions could have possibly been back filled with our GAs, but they've also been poached. The only coach we will have left from this season is Pete Kaligas. I guess you could count Aaron Bohl, but he wasn't officially promoted to LB coach until after the season.

This is bad. Very bad. Not only can we not promote from within, this late in the coaching cycle it's going to be tough finding anyone worth their salt to fill all of these positions. I'm preparing for the defense to regress immensely in 2020.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Gene chizik is available lol.

Rocky is available.

Other than that, I'm searching g5 top defensive units position coaches and coordinators. Also looked at Minnesotas staff. Gonna have to really pull a magic rabbit out off our asses
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

CasperCowboy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:17 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:54 am

Any SEC / ACC upcomers?

I agree. I’m sure Bohl has looked into the current North Dakota State staff and potentially the K-State assistants considering most of that staff came from Fargo. They know the Bohl style and “recipe”. Having watched both programs throughout the bowl and playoff season you would think one of their assistants would be ready for the jump.
The difficult thing is that the K-State position coaches make about $350,000.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

Former UW DB coach Curt Mallory currently serves as the head coach for Indiana State. His salary is $200,000, so a move back to Wyoming would be a salary promotion.

Prior he was a Defensive Coordinator at Illinois and Akron. He was a DB coach at Wyoming (2015-16), Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Central Michigan and Ball State.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Will the defense be worse in 2020? Yes. Does Bohl need to find good defensive coaches? Yes. But what Bohl really should be thinking is this: "Oh poop. Now I'm going to need to score more points. That means I'm going to have to diversify the offence. I'm going to have to have a passing game. I'm going to have to swallow hard. And I've got Vigen. Oh poop"
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Last time Bohl had to go out and hire a DC he hit a home run with Hazleton. Being a DC under Bohl isn't the worst job in college football so I'm confident he'll restock his staff with some good coaches. I hope we can get someone in place sooner rather than later
CasperCowboy
Buckaroo

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm Something being overlooked here is that we need more than just a DC. We need a defensive running game coordinator, DE coach, CB coach, ST coordinator, and Safeties coach. Those positions could have possibly been back filled with our GAs, but they've also been poached. The only coach we will have left from this season is Pete Kaligas. I guess you could count Aaron Bohl, but he wasn't officially promoted to LB coach until after the season.

This is bad. Very bad. Not only can we not promote from within, this late in the coaching cycle it's going to be tough finding anyone worth their salt to fill all of these positions. I'm preparing for the defense to regress immensely in 2020.
I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a little concerning but the carousel is always running. Coach Bohl will put together a staff that fits his system but more importantly fits in with the culture of the current roster. Great news is that Kaligas is still on board (for now). I’ve always liked him. It seems the players do too.
CasperCowboy
Buckaroo

TrackPoke wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 pm Former UW DB coach Curt Mallory currently serves as the head coach for Indiana State. His salary is $200,000, so a move back to Wyoming would be a salary promotion.

Prior he was a Defensive Coordinator at Illinois and Akron. He was a DB coach at Wyoming (2015-16), Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Central Michigan and Ball State.
Since you’re on the topic of Missouri Valley coaches with Wyoming ties isn’t former linebacker Brian Hendricks coaching defensive line for Illinois State?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

CasperCowboy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm
TrackPoke wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 pm Former UW DB coach Curt Mallory currently serves as the head coach for Indiana State. His salary is $200,000, so a move back to Wyoming would be a salary promotion.

Since you’re on the topic of Missouri Valley coaches with Wyoming ties isn’t former linebacker Brian Hendricks coaching defensive line for Illinois State?
Hendricks and Ghaali Muhammad. And Brock Spack.
ImageImageImageImage