MWC Finalizes $270M Media Rights Deal With CBS Sports, Fox

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Looks as though at least 9 other conference members voted to "rescind" the notion of ending Boise State's bonus payout in return for Boise State dropping the lawsuit. SDSU publicly held its ground. I hope we did the same.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:29 pm Looks as though at least 9 other conference members voted to "rescind" the notion of ending Boise State's bonus payout in return for Boise State dropping the lawsuit. SDSU publicly held its ground. I hope we did the same.
Did they also cave to Boise on increasing the amount of that bonus?
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:29 pm Looks as though at least 9 other conference members voted to "rescind" the notion of ending Boise State's bonus payout in return for Boise State dropping the lawsuit. SDSU publicly held its ground. I hope we did the same.
Mountain West rescinds decision to end Boise State’s TV bonus for home football games (sandiegouniontribune.com)

What doesn’t change, however, is the basic dispute. Boise State will continue to receive $1.8 million per year in addition to what everyone else in the conference gets through 2025-26. And the rest of the conference will continue to fight for equitable distribution after that.

Link: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... ball-bonus
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

POKE FAN wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:47 am
Mountain West rescinds decision to end Boise State’s TV bonus for home football games (sandiegouniontribune.com)

What doesn’t change, however, is the basic dispute. Boise State will continue to receive $1.8 million per year in addition to what everyone else in the conference gets through 2025-26. And the rest of the conference will continue to fight for equitable distribution after that.

Sadly, our interim president appears to have caved in. Apparently, San Diego State is the only school who believes "Some things are not for sale." Vote was 11-1. Between scheduling byu* and this disgraceful display of cowardice, I'm about at the end of my rope with UW. The Trustees are an ass clown show, the AD and interim president have all the ambitious vision of a weed-smoking couch surfer, and too many of our alumni and fans are okay with "good enough". It's a sad state of affairs. I hope donors start making some noise with their wallets...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:50 am
POKE FAN wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:47 am

Sadly, our interim president appears to have caved in. Apparently, San Diego State is the only school who believes "Some things are not for sale." Vote was 11-1. Between scheduling byu* and this disgraceful display of cowardice, I'm about at the end of my rope with UW. The Trustees are an A$$ clown show, the AD and interim president have all the ambitious vision of a weed-smoking couch surfer, and too many of our alumni and fans are okay with "good enough". It's a sad state of affairs. I hope donors start making some noise with their wallets...
We share the same sentiments, believe me. The presidents know this issue with Boise isn't good (in principle and optics), but, unfortunately, some schools in this league don't want to (or can't) rock the boat too much and upset their financial apple cart. (Here's looking at you SJSU, Nevada, USU, FSU and UNM, especially.) They seem content with the new deal and will look the other way. Thus, Boise can cry like a little child and get its way -- for now.

Other schools in this conference really need to start punching Boise in the face more consistently. Here's hoping one of those azz kickings happens at the WAR next fall. Coach Bohl ,we're looking at you.
Last edited by POKE FAN on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Overblown, when you think about it that 1.8 million would only be $150,000 to each school if it was spread out. That's not that big of a deal. Having Boise in the MWC is worth more than an extra $150K to each school.

I get it, it's the principle of the matter. But no AD or President in the country is going to choose $150K as their hill to die on.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Dumb. You know Boise has no loyalty to the conference and would poop on every school in the MWC on their way out if they could. I don't give a crap if Boise is in our conference if they don't think they are equal peers with everyone else. This irritates me
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:48 pm Overblown, when you think about it that 1.8 million would only be $150,000 to each school if it was spread out. That's not that big of a deal. Having Boise in the MWC is worth more than an extra $150K to each school.

I get it, it's the principle of the matter. But no AD or President in the country is going to choose $150K as their hill to die on.
That is one way of looking at it. Sure 150,000 isn't such an issue, but 1.8 million to a program does give that program an advantage. That actually hurts BSU in a way as what BSU needs the most now is for the conference as a whole to get stronger. Them having additional benefits while making it harder for the rest of the conference is a detriment to that. To illustrate $150,000 is 0.6% of the total intercollegiate Athletics Division portion of the University of Wyoming budget ($26,642,795 FY2020) 1.8 million would be 6.7%. Giving Boise State, or any program that advantage is a detriment to the conference as a whole. There is a reason why Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, USC, etc don't do this unequal media revenue sharing.
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:12 pm Dumb. You know Boise has no loyalty to the conference and would Sh#t on every school in the MWC on their way out if they could. I don't give a crap if Boise is in our conference if they don't think they are equal peers with everyone else. This irritates me
I am going to hold off on getting too down on the presidents at this moment in time. My understanding is that the 1.8 million was going to continue to the end of this deal then adios. If this ends up with BSU pulling another temper tantrum and either they bolt or continue getting extra media revenue then I am with you. If instead this gets parties to come to the table and figure out an agreeable way to sunset BSU getting extra media over the next 6 years and BSU can actually act as a partner within the conference, then hey cooler heads have prevailed. Put me down for wait and see.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

The best thing for us to do is beat the poop out of Boise - not a state.