MWC Finalizes $270M Media Rights Deal With CBS Sports, Fox

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Along with the upcoming media rights money bump for MWC schools beginning in July, here is an article posted yesterday concerning College Football Playoff payouts by conference over the last 5-6 years. During the period 2014-2018, the MWC received a total of $96,551,123.

This works out to an average of $1,609,185 per school per year (if my calculation is correct). As a comparison, Notre Dame of the West (BYU) received an average of $309,572 per year. :whistle:

Link: http://businessofcollegesports.com/2020 ... ince-2014/
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Oh great, now Boise isn't happy with the deal and is pitching a fit
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

303cowboy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:50 pm Oh great, now Boise isn't happy with the deal and is pitching a fit
Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Smurf State is BYU 2.0 for a reason. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

O.K. I could see the Smurfs going to the AAC to be the replacement for UCONN but...their TV deal is probably crappier than what the MW is/will be getting. No way they'll go to the Big XII mainly due to OU and Texas' egos. And no one else wants a school based in Idaho so....

Honestly, as of right now, Boise can't really do anything except bitch.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

bsu is sounding a lot like byu. Let them go. Hell, kick them out. Honestly, with the peanuts we're talking, it might be time for indy for everyone in football. One thing for certain, a drama queen in football probably isn't worth it no matter the dollar amount. Let the AAC have them.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Boise State is in a corner and they know it. Jump to the AAC for less money and no special treatment and Central and Eastern kickoffs, or enjoy the next six years of $5.8M and a short term contract.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Boise isn't the Boise of the past. And there not even close. They still win the conf championshp now and then. But they aint even close to what they used to be. They don't deserve any extra cash.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Wyoming beats WSU by 7 in a bowl game. Boise got their asses kicked. They don't deserve anything.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Boise St needs to up its game academically and get rid of that gawd awful blue turf before any P5 conference will take them seriously. While they occasionally have a decent basketball program, football is their bread and butter and these big conferences want more than just a gridiron version of Gonzaga. If they want to leave, I say don't let the door hit you on the way out.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:52 am Boise isn't the Boise of the past. And there not even close. They still win the conf championshp now and then. But they aint even close to what they used to be. They don't deserve any extra cash.
No, not even close. The donks had to score a late fourth quarter touchdown against the Pokes on that horrid blue turf just to survive and get to OT. AFA was also in good position in Boise until Hammond got hurt/hobbled. Boise then greatly embarrassed themselves and the conference in the Vegas bowl against a 7-5 Washington team. They've slipped and they know it. No longer a darling juggernaut G5 school whose brand was built in a trash WAC conference.

If BSU doesn't continue to get that extra special media coverage/cash in the future they THINK they deserve, then they'll fall back further, most likely, over time. I think that's one of the things they're really worried about. They need that special attention to be special.

Where are they going to go? The AAC? Let them go. I remember when their clown president, Kustra, sat down with the media to proclaim Boise's move to the Big East in football while disposing their hoops program within the WAC (or Big West) conference. What a laugh! Boise did their "due diligence" on the matter, Kustra said. Just over a year later (and without playing a down in the Big East), Kustra says that Boise will remain in the MWC. "The benefits of geographic footprint, revenue, and national exposure have to be balanced against the changing circumstances of conference realignment. I am confident that our Mountain West membership is the very best decision for Boise State University, our student-athletes and our incredible fan base."

Boise is all about Boise. Let 'em go. The MWC will help them pack.

Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Thompson probably should not have said anything, that wasn't smart politics.

Boise had to come out with a snippy statement in order to appear strong and placate their supporters. They have a lot of money from donors dependent upon their perceived position in the football world, even if they know the sun is setting on it.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Lost Poke wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:33 am Thompson probably should not have said anything, that wasn't smart politics.

Boise had to come out with a snippy statement in order to appear strong and placate their supporters. They have a lot of money from donors dependent upon their perceived position in the football world, even if they know the sun is setting on it.
Bingo. When someone is putting on a terrific show of putting a noose around their neck, it's best not to draw attention away from them.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:33 am Thompson probably should not have said anything, that wasn't smart politics.

When hair made that statement, I wondered if he was appeasing the rest of the conference who likely hoped to abolish the special treatment this time around.

You are right, though, I also thought it was odd that he said that.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Here's a 1/17 radio interview with B.J. Rains (Boise beat writer) concerning the MWC TV deal and potential BSU options. So glad Thompson and league admin put Boise on notice moving forward. It doesn't look like there is a whole lot of sympathy for Boise's concerns on social media from other MWC schools.

The discussion concerning Thompson's remarks and the TV deal begins around the 15:30 mark.

Audio: https://www.1069thefan.com/podcast/the- ... y-17-2020/
303cowboy
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

303cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 pm
In other words, "We want to be treated like pretty princesses! Even though we haven't gone to a big bowl game, we should still be treated better then the rest of you!"
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Blue turf is why they are considered a Micky Mouse school. Let 'em walk. Who cares
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Only solution is to vote to kick them out and renegotiate the TV deal.