Rocky Long leaving SDSU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Always kinda liked Rocky. Wish him well
https://www.7220sports.com/reports-rock ... ego-state/
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wow. Weird.

Looks like Hoke is stepping in. I would think SDSU takes a step back as a program
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Not the worst transition for SDSU, Hoke back in charge. If he can keep the success he had from his first HC stint, they will be a challenger every year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:27 pm Not the worst transition for SDSU, Hoke back in charge. If he can keep the success he had from his first HC stint, they will be a challenger every year.
Hoke seems mediocre. He's got a career record of 78-72. He's not the coach Long is. That's for sure .
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:29 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:27 pm Not the worst transition for SDSU, Hoke back in charge. If he can keep the success he had from his first HC stint, they will be a challenger every year.
Hoke seems mediocre. He's got a career record of 78-72. He's not the coach Long is. That's for sure .
True, he had 1 great season at Ball State and 1 good season at SDSU before heading to Michigan. And we all know how that turned out. Guess this will give everyone a chance to see if he is actually a good coach, or if he was an opportunist making the most out of 2 or 3 really good seasons.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Obviously a stupid move on SUDS part letting Rocky walk like this. Keep your winning HC happy! Hoke has been there before and it's a best case scenario transition for the football program at this point in the season.

I think a lot of Hoke's success came from Rocky being the DC and mentor coach. It will be interesting to see how he does without him. I actually didn't think Hoke did a bad job at Michigan. It's a tough program to win big at with the kind of expectations on a coach. Even the mighty Harbaugh can't overcome the challenges they face.
I'm good for 3!
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Cornpoke wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:44 pm
Obviously a stupid move on SUDS part letting Rocky walk like this. Keep your winning HC happy! Hoke has been there before and it's a best case scenario transition for the football program at this point in the season.

I think a lot of Hoke's success came from Rocky being the DC and mentor coach. It will be interesting to see how he does without him. I actually didn't think Hoke did a bad job at Michigan. It's a tough program to win big at with the kind of expectations on a coach. Even the mighty Harbaugh can't overcome the challenges they face.
Are we talking about Lloyd Carr or Brady Hoke?

11-2, 8-5, 7-6, 5-7. Hoke wasn't fired because he didn't win big (that was Carr - edit while he formally retired there was a lot of griping among the fans and boosters that may have accelerated his decision to retire), he was canned because he went to barely winning to not winning after a great first season. With Michigan's resources 7-6 and 5-7 is bad and that 5-7 team included getting manhandled by Minnesota in the big house and a loss to Rutgers.

Of course none of that means this will translate to a similar drop at San Diego State. Kind of apples and oranges.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:34 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:44 pm

Are we talking about Lloyd Carr or Brady Hoke?

11-2, 8-5, 7-6, 5-7. Hoke wasn't fired because he didn't win big (that was Carr - edit while he formally retired there was a lot of griping among the fans and boosters that may have accelerated his decision to retire), he was canned because he went to barely winning to not winning after a great first season. With Michigan's resources 7-6 and 5-7 is bad and that 5-7 team included getting manhandled by Minnesota in the big house and a loss to Rutgers.

Of course none of that means this will translate to a similar drop at San Diego State. Kind of apples and oranges.
I think Long is 70 years old...I don't think it is about keeping him happy. I bet he is ready to scale back.

*edit* Evidently folks are suspicious that he had some beef with the administration.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:53 pm
Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:34 pm
I think Long is 70 years old...I don't think it is about keeping him happy. I bet he is ready to scale back.

*edit* Evidently folks are suspicious that he had some beef with the administration.
My post was referencing Carr and his likely at least partially forced retirement not Long, although they are somewhat similar situations.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Hoke is good enough to be successful in the MWC. This isn't the B1G.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

If it was a disagreement, that makes SDSU the second MWC school to make him walk. New Mexico obviously being the first (and seemed to have paid for it since).
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Brady Hoke has dismissed their Safeties coach, which is kind of odd considering that was a strength of theirs.

But, think Bohl goes in and brings him on? We are short a safeties coach after all.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:06 pm Brady Hoke has dismissed their Safeties coach, which is kind of odd considering that was a strength of theirs.

But, think Bohl goes in and brings him on? We are short a safeties coach after all.
No they aren't. Dickert is safeties coach. Aaron Bohl (took over LBs when Dickert moved to safety after Garza left) was named full time LB coach. This happened last week I think.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:04 pm
fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:06 pm Brady Hoke has dismissed their Safeties coach, which is kind of odd considering that was a strength of theirs.

No they aren't. Dickert is safeties coach. Aaron Bohl (took over LBs when Dickert moved to safety after Garza left) was named full time LB coach. This happened last week I think.
Ah, missed it. My bad.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 31 times

The defensive coordinator, Zach Arnett, left for Syracuse today.. so Hoke's looking for a DC now too.
ImageImageImageImage
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Since his initial discussions about stepping down were in Dec, is there any documentation that it was because an AD was forcing his hand on coordinators or are Vigen fanboys running with internet rumors?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm The defensive coordinator, Zach Arnett, left for Syracuse today.. so Hoke's looking for a DC now too.
Any word on if hes looking for a seasoned OC?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 31 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:17 pm
MrTitleist wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm The defensive coordinator, Zach Arnett, left for Syracuse today.. so Hoke's looking for a DC now too.
Any word on if hes looking for a seasoned OC?
Good question.. Hoke's a different cat..
ImageImageImageImage
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 21 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:14 am Since his initial discussions about stepping down were in Dec, is there any documentation that it was because an AD was forcing his hand on coordinators or are Vigen fanboys running with internet rumors?
BoHl eQuALs vIgEN. VigEN iS GrEAt cAUsE hE rUnS BoHLs OFfenSe aNd bOhL iS tHe OnLy cOaCh wHo cAn wiN heRe. ThErEs nO wAY AnOthEr CoOrdiNaToR wOuLD HeLp OUr tERRibLE OffEnSe AnD iF wE TeLL bOhL hE hAs to gO bOhL wiLL bE SAD aNd rEtiRE LiKe LoNg wHo dEfiNeTeLy rEtiReD bECaUse oF tHaT aNd nOt bEcAuSe hEs 70 yeArS oLd. iF wE TeLL BoHl ViGeN haS tO gO WeLL nEvEr bE GooD eVeR aGaiN.

God it's hard to type like that. I don't know how lax does it so often :)

I'm only kidding around to those who feel like telling Bohl Vigen needs to put a decent offense on the field or pack his bags is gonna make Bohl leave. It's obvious he hasn't performed, and it's also obvious Bohl is never gonna make a change with Vigen no matter how bad our offense is at putting points on the board and passing efficiency. As long as we look good statistically at running we can brag and beat our chest about our hard nosed culture and Vigens not going anywhere no matter how bad we are at beating good teams and actually putting points on the board and sustaining drives.

I think its likely Long retired for a number of reasons, age being at the top of the list. He and Bohl may both be too stubborn to hear that their offenses suck and staff changes are needed for them to stop holding their respective teams back from greater successes. Perhaps Bohl and Long would leave if the AD tried to force them to make a change. Maybe their stubbornness and inability to make changes in order to have a successful offense when teams can force you to have a passing game is why both have been unable to win championships at the rate Boise State has. But what do I know, I'm just some dude who thinks I could coach little league and that we could be much better with a different coordinator given that the vast majority of teams are more successful on offense than us, even the ones that have challenges similar to ours.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Current rumors are that Brady Hoke is trying to get Rocky to be his DC. Hmmmmm.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...