What do you think about the CBS Report before the bowl game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

concerning the Black - 14?

To me it was bringing up something that happened 50 years ago and UW has made every effort to correct what was clearly an injustice.

But my gosh after 50 years it's time to let it go.
Last edited by CheyenneGunslinger on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

I didn't see the report before the game but when it has come up during games, my biggest issue is how the issue is described. It's only ever said that the Black 14 was protesting "racial injustice." The full truth is that the players wanted to protest the racist policies and actions of the Mormon church and BYU, including administrators, coaches and players. I don't know why that is so hard to include when talking about this.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

The fact of the matter was it happened and it was largely supported by people in Wyoming at the time (ie the Eaton armbands and the standing ovation for the pro Eaton fly over during the SJSU game). When you make a decision you live with the consequences, even when you look stupid years later. The University had ample opportunity to reverse Eaton but didn’t do it. The governor even supported it. People have every right to bring it up still.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:47 am I didn't see the report before the game but when it has come up during games, my biggest issue is how the issue is described. It's only ever said that the Black 14 was protesting "racial injustice." The full truth is that the players wanted to protest the racist policies and actions of the Mormon church and BYU, including administrators, coaches and players. I don't know why that is so hard to include when talking about this.
I couldn't agree more.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:59 pm The fact of the matter was it happened and it was largely supported by people in Wyoming at the time (ie the Eaton armbands and the standing ovation for the pro Eaton fly over during the SJSU game). When you make a decision you live with the consequences, even when you look stupid years later. The University had ample opportunity to reverse Eaton but didn’t do it. The governor even supported it. People have every right to bring it up still.
But it was Eaton's "hard and fast" policy, there were to be no protest period during a football game by football players.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

Since it was his policy I don't see any problem with him denying the players their request to protest. However, I don't think they should have been kicked off the team for simply asking.

I finished college in '69 not at Wyoming but I finished that same year. Universities period held a different view than they do today. For example, professors were and probably still are, supreme rulers in their classrooms, likewise so were athletic coaches. Their word was law, no body back talked them and / or questioned their authority or else there would surely be consequences. There were certainly a few exceptions such a Berkley and some of the Ivy League Schools. But most were like UM in that manner.

It's easy for us to look back to '69 looking through the lens of this extreme PC environment we live in today and criticize the actions of Eaton but the same result might have taken place at a number of other universities as well.

Again, to reiterate I think Eaton was within his rights to deny the protest but he shouldn't have kicked the players off the team for asking to protest.
Last edited by CheyenneGunslinger on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:47 am I didn't see the report before the game but when it has come up during games, my biggest issue is how the issue is described. It's only ever said that the Black 14 was protesting "racial injustice." The full truth is that the players wanted to protest the racist policies and actions of the Mormon church and BYU, including administrators, coaches and players. I don't know why that is so hard to include when talking about this.
Well does it come up every game? The left wing media loves a good story that has a racial slant and will not ever let it go.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:58 pm
Well does it come up every game? The left wing media loves a good story that has a racial slant and will not ever let it go.
Jesus Christ, this has nothing to do with "left wing media." I was on campus when this happened and like Poke Fan 24-7 said the whole state was chock full of folks with a racist slant. Unless, and until you have walked a mile in those players' shoes, you can climb down off your soapbox. Lloyd Eaton was a racist f-word, and that's the truth. You can defend his actions by saying there were a bunch of other schools who would have done the same thing, and I would tell you those schools were racist as all get out as well. It was the 60's, it is what the US looked like at that time. Eradicating racism isn't PC, it's the right thing to do. When you've spent a lifetime as a black, or hispanic, or asian, or native american, then come back and we can talk. Right now all you are is an old white guy with an axe to grind.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

CowboyNV wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:12 pm
CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:58 pm Well does it come up every game? The left wing media loves a good story that has a racial slant and will not ever let it go.
Jesus Christ, this has nothing to do with "left wing media." I was on campus when this happened and like Poke Fan 24-7 said the whole state was chock full of folks with a racist slant. Unless, and until you have walked a mile in those players' shoes, you can climb down off your soapbox. Lloyd Eaton was a racist [#]f##k, and that's the truth. You can defend his actions by saying there were a bunch of other schools who would have done the same thing, and I would tell you those schools were racist as all get out as well. It was the 60's, it is what the US looked like at that time. Eradicating racism isn't PC, it's the right thing to do. When you've spent a lifetime as a black, or hispanic, or asian, or native american, then come back and we can talk. Right now all you are is an old white guy with an axe to grind.
Thank you.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Jesus Christ, this has nothing to do with "left wing media." I was on campus when this happened and like Poke Fan 24-7 said the whole state was chock full of folks with a racist slant. Unless, and until you have walked a mile in those players' shoes, you can climb down off your soapbox. Lloyd Eaton was a racist [#]f##k, and that's the truth. You can defend his actions by saying there were a bunch of other schools who would have done the same thing, and I would tell you those schools were racist as all get out as well. It was the 60's, it is what the US looked like at that time. Eradicating racism isn't PC, it's the right thing to do. When you've spent a lifetime as a black, or hispanic, or asian, or native american, then come back and we can talk. Right now all you are is an old white guy with an axe to grind.
First of all I think you are a racist.

Sure it has to do with the left wing media of today, they love to bring up racist issues that occurred many years ago.

I am not an old white guy with an ax to grind. I said at the beginning of my post that I thought Eaton had a right to deny the protest but not kick the player off the team. I guess you could have understood that if you read my post but all you are concerned about is I'm an old white man with an ax to grind - that couldn't be further from the truth.

Look at what Eaton was doing at that time to recruit Black players when many large schools was not doing to recruit Black players. And I quote.

"That success came in part because Eaton was a recruiter ahead of his time. He stacked his roster with nimble pass-rushers and, crucially, was willing to recruit black high school standouts at a time when many major NCAA programs had yet to integrate. On the top teams that did accept black athletes, transfers or underclassmen might have had to wait multiple seasons for playing time, said Guillermo “Willie” Hysaw, a wide receiver who chose the Cowboys over the University of Southern California, the University of California at Los Angeles and Stanford University".

Eaton must not have been too racist look at how many Black players were on the team. There 17 (three left before the BYU incident)at one time. That was unheard for that time period. Bama, OSU, OU, Nebraska or any other school during that time didn't have nearly that many Black players on their team.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Well if you are such a woke and was on campus at the time, why didn't you do something to stand up and protest the injustice? I said in one of my comments it was an injustice that the players were kicked off the team for simply asking to protest at the game.

I protested the injustices many times of the minorities long before I entered college and this was in the South.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 pm
CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:58 pm Well does it come up every game? The left wing media loves a good story that has a racial slant and will not ever let it go.
Thank you.
What's wrong Asmodeanreborn, haven't you got the guts to defend your own thoughts and feelings? Instead you have to ditto someone else's replies.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:10 pm
Well if you are such a woke and was on campus at the time, why didn't you do something to stand up and protest the injustice? I said in one of my comments it was an injustice that the players were kicked off the team for simply asking to protest at the game.

I protested the injustices many times of the minorities long before I entered college and this was in the South.
Look you don't know anything about me. It is laughable to call me a racist unless you mean that I have a dislike for white people who think they are picked on. I had a black roommate at that time, so I know a little bit about how he was treated. I also have a black son in law, and I see how he is still treated to this day. I was an active participant in the protests and marches against racism. So, yeah, I'm woke. And maybe it's time you woke the f-word up too pard. I'm done with your poop. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were Dino Costa here under another assumed ID. And I know for a fact Dino is racist.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

The self professed ‘cowboys’ fan that has never lived in Wyoming defending Eaton, got it. Hopefully those reading this board know that your beliefs don’t echo all of us who were born in and continue to actually call Wyoming home.

Eaton was an awful person period! Many years later and just prior to his death, he showed zero remorse for how he wrongfully treated those players and impacted their lives. Eaton left a terrible black eye on the program and our state and deserves nothing and certainly not any praise nor defense of his actions under any microscope.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm What's wrong Asmodeanreborn, haven't you got the guts to defend your own thoughts and feelings? Instead you have to ditto someone else's replies.
Guts?

I publicly stated I agreed with them, more or less. I didn't need to add my own words when what was already stated was how I felt about the issue as well.

The university made a big statement with putting up a memorial to these guys, and I'm glad for it. They're not half-assing this or sweeping it under the rug the way a lot of other institutions would. Or blaming "the left wing media" for calling racism racist.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

1.) It is the 50th Anniversary of the event. It’s a good year to to talk about it all year long, just like any other 50th Anniversary.

2.) This is the year the University made amends and it was long overdue. Another reason why it is a good year to talk about it all year long.

3.) About 8 years ago I was talking to a man in his 80s at a coffee shop in Spearfish. He saw my UW attire and brought up the “good’ol days” (Sugar Bowl etc.) and eventually the demise of the program. The man said Eaton was a racist. He said Eaton was from Belle Fourche which was a hotbed for the KKK during his youth. He said it was common knowledge that Eaton felt the black kids didn’t and shouldn’t have the same rights as the white kids, they needed to know their place. Nothing I know for a fact, but an interesting perspective from an old timer.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

CowboyNV wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 pm

Look you don't know anything about me. It is laughable to call me a racist unless you mean that I have a dislike for white people who think they are picked on. I had a black roommate at that time, so I know a little bit about how he was treated. I also have a black son in law, and I see how he is still treated to this day. I was an active participant in the protests and marches against racism. So, yeah, I'm woke. And maybe it's time you woke the [#]f##k up too pard. I'm done with your Sh#t. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were Dino Costa here under another assumed ID. And I know for a fact Dino is racist.
It's laughable you don't know me either but it didn't stop you from accusing me of being an old white man with an ax to grind. I'm not saying you pick on white people but without hesitation you called me an old white man with an ax to grind - so you my friend have an ax to grind, too. I've had many black friends over the years. I grew up in Greenville, SC and lived one block from the start of the black community and I can tell you I know first hand how blacks were treated in the 50s and '60s.

I was a member of the SDS in college the most radical group of students in the nation at that time.

I simply made a comment that Eaton (and if you had read my OP you would have know what I said) had a "hard and fast" long standing policy about no protest from the players during a football game. And I further stated Eaton was in his rights to not allow the protest based on his policies however I think he was completely wrong to dismiss the players for SIMPLY ASKING FOR PERMISSIONS TO PROTEST! How is that being an old white man with an ax to grind? I, also, stated we are looking through the lens of a politically charged world of PC back to a time of 50 years ago.

I by no means and let me repeat myself, by no means saying Eaton was correct for dismissing those players in fact he was wrong for doing so. Sure Wyoming and the nation as a whole was racists at that time. And a similar outcome could have occurred at tOSU, Bama or any other large school in 1969.

I WAS SIMPLY STATING FACTS, NOT THE WAY I WANTED THINGS, BUT THE WAY THINGS WERE IN 1969.

You my sir, couldn't pass up the opportunity to blast me for stating the facts. And yes the left wing media will continue to bring the incident up 100 years from now.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:49 pm
CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm What's wrong Asmodeanreborn, haven't you got the guts to defend your own thoughts and feelings? Instead you have to ditto someone else's replies.
Guts?

I publicly stated I agreed with them, more or less. I didn't need to add my own words when what was already stated was how I felt about the issue as well.

The university made a big statement with putting up a memorial to these guys, and I'm glad for it. They're not half-assing this or sweeping it under the rug the way a lot of other institutions would. Or blaming "the left wing media" for calling racism racist.
Well, someone above stated something to the effect it's brough up often every time WYO plays a game on TV. Hence, my response about the left wing media.

But besides that I do think you are gutless.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:18 pm

The self professed ‘cowboys’ fan that has never lived in Wyoming defending Eaton, got it. Hopefully those reading this board know that your beliefs don’t echo all of us who were born in and continue to actually call Wyoming home.

Eaton was an awful person period! Many years later and just prior to his death, he showed zero remorse for how he wrongfully treated those players and impacted their lives. Eaton left a terrible black eye on the program and our state and deserves nothing and certainly not any praise nor defense of his actions under any microscope.
I'm not defending Eaton, I simply saying it was his policy for players to not protest during football games but was clear to say he should not have dismissed those players for simply asking.

Per the article written by the Washington Post Eaton was ahead of his time by recruiting a lot of black players.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

The incident should never be buried. Not for the reasons why the 14 wanted to protest, nor Eaton's racist policies. It took 50 years to begin re-building bridges to the guys that were thrown off the team.

Was Eaton a good football coach and recruiter? Yes. That doesn't make him a good person though.

I'm also 90% sure CheyenneGunSlinger is Dino. Hence why I tend to ignore what he posts.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I’ve been on this site for seven years, but haven’t read everything. Who the heck is Dino and why is he so despised?