The Great Debate Begins: Williams or Chambers?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

We saw a great start from the true freshmen yesterday. He definitely had flashes of Allen. In fact, the last time we threw three TDs in a single game, Allen was our quarterback. On the other hand, Chambers carried us early in the season to a string of wins and is a phenomenal runner with a strong arm.

Personally, I would like to see Levi Williams get the start and lead this team for the next four years. I think he brings more balance to our offense and proved that he can throw it anywhere on the field. Sure, he made some mistakes, but I think he showed better accuracy than Chambers.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Not much of a debate. We need confident passing and William's is the only one who can do that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think we HAVE to roll with Chambers. Chambers is a straight up winner and leader. What has he done to lose his job? Sean's a phenomenal runner and will continue to grow as a passer. Levi played a nice game, but I don't think G. State is a good team at all. And he was 11/26.. . had some nice throws and had some bad one, too, so that's not exactly fixing our passing problem.

Do I think Levi has more potential as a passer? Probably yes. Is Sean a gifted runner and a lot better than Levi at running? yes. Can Sean stay healthy? That's a big question mark. Can Levi? Who knows. We've got two good QBs, but I think it's clearly still Sean's job.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Like it or not, Bohl won't lower Chambers on the depth chart after an injury. Old school thing. Plus he's a team captain.

Chambers is too much of a weapon to be a backup and not used some other way. My ideal would be getting creative with offensive schemes that get them both on the field as dual threat runners-throwers. Both take too many hits and are injury concerns so we obviously need them both on the roster. Williams throws a pretty ball but we also had receivers step up yesterday in ways that didn't really happen under Sean. If we could count on a play like Eberhart's or Rocket getting open regularly then Sean would have had better numbers as well. I hope Vigen and Bohl spend the summer scheming up ways to get creative with these guys. With the RB/OL talent we have we will have a scary backfield. 1 or 2 WR/TE's step forward and our offense looks a lot more dangerous.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Well, that's what Spring Practice is for. Chambers is a dynamic runner, but has had issues throwing the ball (often way too hard). Williams looks to be the better passer, but not as good a runner as Chambers.

Honestly, I think a lot depends on where our WRs and TEs are going into next year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Both QBs should be used and sometimes on the field at the same time. This will be a fun offense!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 am What has he done to lose his job?
Nearly non-existent pass game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Fun game and give Vigen some credit. Decent gameplan.

Ga St d is marginal at best so would like to see Williams against a better D. Still, I thought he looked good throwing the ball and looks to be best passer by far.

Maybe a Drew B an T Hill arrangement going forward. I'm not sure if Vigen is as creative S Peyton, lol, but Williams/Chambers on the field at same time could be a dangerous combo.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:45 am ... getting creative with offensive schemes that get them both on the field as dual threat runners-throwers...
This is a perfect opportunity to have a (sort of) dual QB system to totally confuse defenses. But Bohl, being a 1950's mentality coach, I doubt that will happen.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Will Williams be a freshman or a sophomore next year?

Did he play too many games to be a freshman next year?
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

J-Bone wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:09 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 am What has he done to lose his job?
Nearly non-existent pass game.
This. Most of the season we had to assume a pass attempt was a sign of desperation that would likely fail and yield a punt. How many of Chambers's completions felt like any other than extreme good luck?

Still, he is clearly a leader who can and does will his team to win.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 am Fun game and give Vigen some credit. Decent gameplan.

Ga St d is marginal at best so would like to see Williams against a better D. Still, I thought he looked good throwing the ball and looks to be best passer by far.

Maybe a Drew B an T Hill arrangement going forward. I'm not sure if Vigen is as creative S Peyton, lol, but Williams/Chambers on the field at same time could be a dangerous combo.
The Air Force game was a good opportunity to evaluate what Williams could do. We didn't win, but did he look out of his depth?
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Let's not look past Georgia State having a defense ranked 110+. They weren't much of a challenge.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Obvious answer at QB based on 1.5 games is Williams.

Small sample size, so who truly knows. Ga St defense was atrocious, as was noted. On the other hand, we've looked mediocre/bad against bad defenses before.

If Williams does start, then we NEED to find a way to keep Chambers on the field and in a leadership role.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

castlerocker wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:46 pm Will Williams be a freshman or a sophomore next year?

Did he play too many games to be a freshman next year?
He'll be a redshirt freshman. Only played in 3 games (CSU, Air Force and bowl game).
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:58 pm If Williams does start, then we NEED to find a way to keep Chambers on the field and in a leadership role.
Tight end
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

This is no debate. Williams is by far the better all around QB.

He can throw the ball.

And for those of you saying Georgia State defense was bad, well so was Texas State who was almost as bad as Georgia St. Chambers only threw for 103 yards against them and no touchdowns.

Idaho an FCS team, Chambers only threw for 50 yards and no TD’s.

There is no debate. Chambers can take his roll as a backup or move to a different position.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:06 pm This is no debate. Williams is by far the better all around QB.

He can throw the ball.

And for those of you saying Georgia State defense was bad, well so was Texas State who was almost as bad as Georgia St. Chambers only threw for 103 yards against them and no touchdowns.

Idaho an FCS team, Chambers only threw for 50 yards and no TD’s.

There is no debate. Chambers can take his roll as a backup or move to a different position.
Those teams had all offseason to prepare for Chambers weaknesses. Sometimes being the new guy makes life easier since defenses can't gameplan for your weaknesses. I also feel like Williams is the better quarterback, but he may start to struggle after teams see a handful of games to base their gameplans off of.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Glad we have this kinda debate and something to take into the offseason, It'll be fun, good day fun day yesterday and trip overall, back to ole grind
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:40 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:58 pm If Williams does start, then we NEED to find a way to keep Chambers on the field and in a leadership role.
Tight end
Tight end would be an extreme waste of Sean's talents. He's not a blocker, so he wouldn't be on the field a lot, and best case scenario he would only touch the ball 5-6 times a game. He's an athletic runner, maybe not the best passer, but he's a playmaker. I think it would be nice to see some formation with both Williams and Chambers in the backfield. Could even run a shotgun with Valladay, Williams and Chambers all in a row (shotgun split-back), good luck to the defense trying to figure out where the ball is going there.