Signing day....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

From recruiting sites to his twitter, it still shows Chau Smith as a Wyo commit.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:40 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:59 am Looks like Washington State is making a last minute attempt to poach Chau Smith...

Recruiting is a dirty business...
Washington State has ambulance chased us for years. I hate them
Bohl has previously commented on a PAC school following our recruits around. I was fairly certain it was WSU he was referring to. This makes it for sure who he was talking about?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:17 am What stands out to me - - we didn't sign any receivers...

...despite losing basically all of the starters to graduation (Austin Conway, John Okwoli, Rocket Ismail Jr.)

...which makes me think that the coaches trust the young guys already in the program...but if so, why didn't we see much of them in games this year?

We have to get Levi Williams and Sean Chambers some help. I am hopeful there are a few gems at the WR position still out there.
We offered quite a few receivers and Keshaun Taylor is currently our third best signed recruit. At WR we also signed Isaac White.

Then of course we also got Nick Miles at TE. :)

Oh, and we're competing for Elijah Queen with SJSU and Nevada. He's a 6'4 3 Star WR, so maybe there's a decent chance we get him?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:18 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:17 am What stands out to me - - we didn't sign any receivers...

...despite losing basically all of the starters to graduation (Austin Conway, John Okwoli, Rocket Ismail Jr.)

...which makes me think that the coaches trust the young guys already in the program...but if so, why didn't we see much of them in games this year?

We have to get Levi Williams and Sean Chambers some help. I am hopeful there are a few gems at the WR position still out there.
We offered quite a few receivers and Keshaun Taylor is currently our third best signed recruit. At WR we also signed Isaac White.

Oh, and we're competing for Elijah Queen with SJSU and Nevada. He's a 6'4 3 Star WR, so maybe there's a decent chance we get him?
Keshaun is going to be a DB
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I haven't paid attention to how many WR were offered, so I could be totally wrong. However, this offense probably makes it hard to recruit receivers. Not a lot of opportunities for receivers to be involved in the offense and I imagine recruits evaluate that.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

You should inform Bohl that these ‘WR’ signees should not be listed as defensive backs.

https://gowyo.com/signingday/football/football/5/
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

103 - The number of receptions this season for the NCAA leader (Devin Duvernay - Texas)

109 - The number of receptions for the entire Wyoming football team.

Not the best recipe for enticing WR recruits.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

If you were a receiver would you come to Wyoming? You're basically a glorified offensive lineman.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:03 am

You should inform Bohl that these ‘WR’ signees should not be listed as defensive backs.

https://gowyo.com/signingday/football/football/5/
Hmm, I just went off what they were listed as on the recruiting sites.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

You all act like bohl wants to run this much. He doesn’t. I wouldn’t pass this much either after watching our two QBs trying to throw the ball 100 mph on a short cross. I think it’s imperative Levi gets a lot of playing time in bowl game. If he can throw, we need showing wr recruits that we want to throw more and they can be the man on this team.
W-Y, Until I Die!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

I've posted it before...and I believe Bohl has said something fairly recently about needing a more balanced passing game. You still need a viable passing game to have a dominant and efficient run game. His tune changed from needing a balanced offense to run no matter what only when we couldn't.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I think maybe the graduation of some of our receivers could be a blessing in disguise. We'll be forced to throw it more to our TEs, and Nate Weinman and Jackson Marcotte are both talented. We haven't seen much of Weinman aside from blocking, obviously, but Marcotte made some awesome catches before getting hurt.

We had Alex Brown redshirt this year, and he was one of our top recruits from last year, so hopefully he's ready to go.

Maybe Parker Christensen could make the switch to actual receiver rather than TE too. He's not exactly a speed demon, but he played runningback at Sheridan, I believe? If I remember right, he was considered the top Wyoming player of his recruiting class, so he should have at least some talent and could run people over on those short quit outs or slants or something.

Treyton Welch is also listed as a TE, but he actually played WR in high school and had over 1,000 receiving yards and 13 TDs in his senior year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:40 am I think maybe the graduation of some of our receivers could be a blessing in disguise. We'll be forced to throw it more to our TEs, and Nate Weinman and Jackson Marcotte are both talented. We haven't seen much of Weinman aside from blocking, obviously, but Marcotte made some awesome catches before getting hurt.

We had Alex Brown redshirt this year, and he was one of our top recruits from last year, so hopefully he's ready to go.

Maybe Parker Christensen could make the switch to actual receiver rather than TE too. He's not exactly a speed demon, but he played runningback at Sheridan, I believe? If I remember right, he was considered the top Wyoming player of his recruiting class, so he should have at least some talent and could run people over on those short quit outs or slants or something.

Treyton Welch is also listed as a TE, but he actually played WR in high school and had over 1,000 receiving yards and 13 TDs in his senior year.
I agree with the Marcotte sentiment. I foresee him in the NFL someday. I’ve watched Weinman pretty closely in the spring games over the past couple of years and he just looks really goofy and a bit uncoordinated. Not surprising for someone of his size; but I don’t see him turning into a big receiving threat.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:20 pm I agree with the Marcotte sentiment. I foresee him in the NFL someday. I’ve watched Weinman pretty closely in the spring games over the past couple of years and he just looks really goofy and a bit uncoordinated. Not surprising for someone of his size; but I don’t see him turning into a big receiving threat.
He doesn't need to be much of a threat, though. He just needs to participate and catch the ball on shorter routes ;)

Depending on who ends up being the signal caller for Wyoming, we could very well see more 5-10 yard routes with hopefully a higher completion percentage. Just enough to spread defenses out a bit so we don't constantly run into 7-9 players in the box. :P
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I went back and checked in on a couple Nebraska boys that decommitted from us to the huskers on the 23rd hour. Engelhaupt washed out after a few years and left team and Walker has been injured after a redshirt year. Not sure why, but the Nebraska dudes getting poached last minute always bugged me more than anything else. Maybe not getting dudes like that are blessing
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:47 pm I went back and checked in on a couple Nebraska boys that decommitted from us to the huskers on the 23rd hour. Engelhaupt washed out after a few years and left team and Walker has been injured after a redshirt year. Not sure why, but the Nebraska dudes getting poached last minute always bugged me more than anything else. Maybe not getting dudes like that are blessing
Yeah, I like the players who have P5 offers and still come to Laramie. Those are the people who want to be Cowboys and want to make a difference while wearing Brown and Gold. Or even somebody like Gavin Meyer who had offers from Air Force, Navy, and then teams closer to him, like Eastern Michigan and Ball State, yet still chose Wyoming...

Or Tulafono who chose us over BYU and Arizona.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

[media] [/media]

Hopefully we can land this kid
W-Y, Until I Die!
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Anyone hearing anything about Chau Smith?
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Subcanis wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:50 pm Anyone hearing anything about Chau Smith?
His twitter page indicates he is still a Cowboy commit. Because the early signing period is over, players cannot sign until the February period. My guess is that he will take visits to Washington State and Purdue in the mean time to fully evaluate. Can’t fault a kid that prefers to do their due diligence before signing.
New2Wyo
Buckaroo

Star ratings are funny. I believe most of the people for rivals that rate were never even coaches. I also notice that star ratings appear and go up and down after a kid signs. Some kids have none at all then are 3 stars after signed. Seems like a scam