Marcus Arroyo - UNLV Front Runner

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

It sounds like Marcus Arroyo is the front runner to be UNLV's head coach. He was young when he was Wyoming's OC but it doesn't seem like a great hire to me.
wyohistoryguy
Buckaroo

They wanted a young coach to help recruiting. He has put together quite a nice resume since he was here. I saw his name mentioned in other coach searches this year it was probably only a matter of time until he got a head job. Hiring a coordinator from a strong program coming off a conference championship is more than I thought UNLV would be able to do. Not sure anyone can turn that program around.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I bet UNLV will suck a bit less going forward. They have upgraded their training facilities and that should give them a bump. I don't think playing in the Raiders stadium will be a positive thing for them, however.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I just remember the hurry up 3 and outs at Wyoming causing the defense to be right back on the field. People complain about the offense now, but in Arroyo's 2nd year here we were 107 out of 120 in scoring while running the no huddle hurry up spread (not to mention all of the turnovers).

I would be a bit worried if I were a UNLV fan. The types of athletes Oregon can recruit for that system are far superior to what UNLV is likely to be able to recruit.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

I remember Brett Smith leaving UW early to declare for the NFL draft. Despite being projected as a 6th or 7th round pick, he went undrafted. Marcus Arroyo, who had just been hired by Tampa Bay, pulled some strings to offer him an opportunity (Robert Herron was drafted in the sixth round by Tampa Bay that same year).

Too bad Brett didn't stick around his senior year, he would have improved his abilities and stock with a year under Bohl's pro-style offense. Pokes only had four wins in Bohl's first year, but they may have won two or three more games and made a bowl game with a playmaker like Brett.

UNLV has the potential to flourish with the right leadership. They have a new football facility. Las Vegas produces a lot of FBS level players, as does Southern California which is next door. Playing in the Raiders stadium down the road is probably a hook for a lot of 18 year olds.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Arroyo hired as UNLV’s head coach.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Good