"Conservative Coward"

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

"Conservative Coward" ... Yes, I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Bohl is heading right down the Joe Glenn path, and it seems that we frustrated fans are simply S.O.L. I'm a firm believer in Loyalty, and I've made some major life and career decisions based on loyalty, but there always comes a time when one must look at a situations as it really is and not as he or she wants it to be.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 229 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:29 am "Conservative Coward" ... Yes, I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Bohl is heading right down the Joe Glenn path, and it seems that we frustrated fans are simply S.O.L. I'm a firm believer in Loyalty, and I've made some major life and career decisions based on loyalty, but there always comes a time when one must look at a situations as it really is and not as he or she wants it to be.
You're right. Bohl want to handle his personnel as he sees fit and wants to be accountable based on wins and losses. We should just fire Bohl and replace him because he has been unwilling to cave into the demands of the fans. I heard Mike Bobo is available. Also likely available is Vic Koenning. Bobo has a lot of experience with offenses so he sounds like a great hire and should satisfy this board.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 am
WyoGeezer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:29 am "Conservative Coward" ... Yes, I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Bohl is heading right down the Joe Glenn path, and it seems that we frustrated fans are simply S.O.L. I'm a firm believer in Loyalty, and I've made some major life and career decisions based on loyalty, but there always comes a time when one must look at a situations as it really is and not as he or she wants it to be.
You're right. Bohl want to handle his personnel as he sees fit and wants to be accountable based on wins and losses. We should just fire Bohl and replace him because he has been unwilling to cave into the demands of the fans. I heard Mike Bobo is available. Also likely available is Vic Koenning. Bobo has a lot of experience with offenses so he sounds like a great hire and should satisfy this board.
You can do better than this....
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

I was merely referring to the comment that one of you made regarding Bohl's unwillingness to make an offensive change. I was also referring to the "Bold Decisions ..." Blog. I'm NOT saying that Bohl OR Vigen should be canned. I actually think that they have good knowledge and good experience and that they're essentially on the right track. BUT ... The Cowboys are NOT the Nebraska Cornhuskers of the Tom Osborne era, and with ONE slightly injured running back, who is actually dangerous, and reserve offensive linemen who are not as good as the injured starters, the Cowboys aren't going to "Impose Their Will" on opponents and grind them into the turf. Maybe that will happen when they have a stable full of healthy and interchangeable running backs and offensive linemen, but not now. In the meantime, the offense needs to be be opened up, and the coaches need to stop being afraid to be innovative in critical situations. When THE PLAN ain't workin' ... leaders need to adjust the plan.
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

The Adapt and overcome statement comes to mind.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:09 pm I was merely referring to the comment that one of you made regarding Bohl's unwillingness to make an offensive change. I was also referring to the "Bold Decisions ..." Blog. I'm NOT saying that Bohl OR Vigen should be canned. I actually think that they have good knowledge and good experience and that they're essentially on the right track. BUT ... The Cowboys are NOT the Nebraska Cornhuskers of the Tom Osborne era, and with ONE slightly injured running back, who is actually dangerous, and reserve offensive linemen who are not as good as the injured starters, the Cowboys aren't going to "Impose Their Will" on opponents and grind them into the turf. Maybe that will happen when they have a stable full of healthy and interchangeable running backs and offensive linemen, but not now. In the meantime, the offense needs to be be opened up, and the coaches need to stop being afraid to be innovative in critical situations. When THE PLAN ain't workin' ... leaders need to adjust the plan.
They are never going to have healthy running backs and offensive linemen. You don't run 60 times a game and then think everyone is going to escaped unscathed. That's not how it works.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

How fluid are offensive gameplans on gameday? In college football specifically. Everybody talks about "adjustments" ... it's not like you can re-draft the playbook at half-time though. Maybe some formation would work based on what your seeing the defense do but how realistic is it to implement during a game if it's not part of the base playbook? I'm sure coaches are faced with this sort of thing and have to make decisions between trying to implement something new and suffering the consequenses of having players thinking too much....and going with the plan that you know that your players know but is not working all that well.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Horsecrap.Bohl knows they gotta improve offense. If he doesn't address it over the next couple years, I'm with you. Until then, let's see what he does (I personally think personnel change would help but that's me). He's a good coach.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:44 pm
WyoGeezer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:09 pm I was merely referring to the comment that one of you made regarding Bohl's unwillingness to make an offensive change. I was also referring to the "Bold Decisions ..." Blog. I'm NOT saying that Bohl OR Vigen should be canned. I actually think that they have good knowledge and good experience and that they're essentially on the right track. BUT ... The Cowboys are NOT the Nebraska Cornhuskers of the Tom Osborne era, and with ONE slightly injured running back, who is actually dangerous, and reserve offensive linemen who are not as good as the injured starters, the Cowboys aren't going to "Impose Their Will" on opponents and grind them into the turf. Maybe that will happen when they have a stable full of healthy and interchangeable running backs and offensive linemen, but not now. In the meantime, the offense needs to be be opened up, and the coaches need to stop being afraid to be innovative in critical situations. When THE PLAN ain't workin' ... leaders need to adjust the plan.
They are never going to have healthy running backs and offensive linemen. You don't run 60 times a game and then think everyone is going to escaped unscathed. That's not how it works.
I don't think there is any data backing this up....football players get hurt....period. I think the only exception statistically would be kickers and pure leadfooted drop back passers.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

307bball wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:49 pm
I don't think there is any data backing this up....football players get hurt....period. I think the only exception statistically would be kickers and pure leadfooted drop back passers.
OK can we agree a quarterback is more likely to get injured if he runs 20 times a game as opposed to five?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:53 pm
OK can we agree a quarterback is more likely to get injured if he runs 20 times a game as opposed to five?
Yeah..that's why i mentioned pure drop back passers as probably suffering less injuries than the QB of Air Force. Some folks actually have done some scholarly analysis on this as it relates to concussions....passing plays in general have a much higher risk of concussions than running plays. Also most of the lower leg injuries occur in the third quarter suggesting players should use the time to stay warm rather than rest. Also...offensive players suffer injuries at a higher rate than defensive players.

I remember back when Saban was complaining about tempo teams and one of his points was that if you run x% more plays you will have more injuries. Now...I can't stand Saban but he's technically correct on the point.

*edit*

quote from yahoo sports article:
It’s not entirely scientific, though. Research on NFL quarterback injuries compiled by injury coordinator John Verros at Sports Info Solutions shows the risk of a quarterback being injured on a designed run is remote — only one for every 236 plays.

The risk for a scrambling quarterback is almost equal to the quarterback who is sacked: once every 91.7 plays for the scrambler, once every 92.5 plays for the guy getting sacked.

The most dangerous play category Verros discovered is the knockdown; the quarterback who is taken to the ground while unleashing a pass, as when the Jaguars’ Nick Foles suffered a broken clavicle after being struck while releasing a pass against the Chiefs. That player is hurt once every 67.3 plays.
maybe i'm wrong and drop back passers actually get hurt the most ...huh.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

And they get hurt more when they get hit. Which is what happens when you run it 85% of the time, running backs get hit.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:46 pm Horsecrap.Bohl knows they gotta improve offense. If he doesn't address it over the next couple years, I'm with you. Until then, let's see what he does (I personally think personnel change would help but that's me). He's a good coach.
Yup and i wanna see a conference championship sometime soon, i really dont think thats too much to ask for, or is it???? Soooo tired of medocrity
307bball
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:42 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:46 pm Horsecrap.Bohl knows they gotta improve offense. If he doesn't address it over the next couple years, I'm with you. Until then, let's see what he does (I personally think personnel change would help but that's me). He's a good coach.
Yup and i wanna see a conference championship sometime soon, i really dont think thats too much to ask for, or is it???? Soooo tired of medocrity
I think we've been worse than mediocre for a long time.

I'd say we would have had to have been mediocre for a while before you could get tired of it....unless your defining mediocre as somewhere below .500 winning percentage....and if that's the case I suppose I was tired of it as well. And now we are above that.