Bold Decisions Must Be Made To Take Wyoming Football To The Next Level

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I've done some research on the history of MW football. A key stat shows you Wyoming has to do something if Bohl wants to "build something special".

[https://wyonation.com/2019/12/bold-deci ... ext-level/]
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Outstanding write up and I appreciate the fact you don't sugar coat things. At this stage of the game I'm unsure if Bohl will do anything, pointing at the 7-5 record and saying that things are just fine. Time will tell.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Has anybody done any analysis that shows if NFL caliber talent is correlated with playing in the MWC title game? Everybody points out that Wyoming had a higher than normal amount of guys that were at least considered for NFL play the year that we won the Mountain and played for the championship....Maybe it's just as correlatable (is that even a word?) as average pt's per game. They've got to at least be related. I'm not going to go sled through past years draft reports to answer this question...just a thought.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Nice blog. It's so obvious that we need more out of our offense
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

So what is our average points per game over the last 6 years? Minus 2016 is it even 18?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

This was a really interesting read. I had no idea we were so bad against teams with winning records. I did know they've never beaten a team of consequence the road.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:45 pm This was a really interesting read. I had no idea we were so bad against teams with winning records. I did know they've never beaten a team of consequence the road.
2016 CSewe is the only winning team Bohl has beat on the road
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Definitely a sobering article and well done. Some very good perspective there. Playing in a much weaker MWC has made Wyoming football somewhat of a paper tiger. I believe Glenns teams would have the same record with this years schedule.

Do I think Bohl can get us to the next level, yes I do. Oddly enough in the comparisons to Glenn, my gut feeling is Bohl will get this program to turn the corner. Is Bohl feeling a little heat? Absolutely, but I'm still on the bandwagon.
I'm good for 3!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Herm Edwards(ASU) made the change at oc with the same record as Wyo. Bohl needs to do the same thing. Never settle!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

By the way, I forgot to mention that Boise state's offensive coordinator is one of the top candidates to go to Arizona State.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

This was a great read and truly brings home many many factors that are telltale signs at Mediocre UW. Thanx for the thoughtful insight and lets hope the coaching staff takes the time to ponder some thoughts and ideas here, can't hurt as 8-4 is one helluva mark of improvement vs our norm 6-6 or 7-5. I try not to ask for much except winning a MWC title for a change, ( Hopefully in the next 3-5 years, if thats doable with this staff, players will come)
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wyoming is no place for a Vigen.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 pm Wyoming is no place for a Vigen.
Clever!!!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I'd bet if you told Bohl we needed to average 30 pts to be successful he'd look at you like you just farted in church.

Same for the old reliable die hard Vigen defenders who seem to think it's impossible to score more points than what we do now without lowering our time of possession and making our defense worse.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Wicks
Blog Team

Just a little update. With the conf championship games in the book. Every single conference champion this season had an offense that averaged over 30 points per game.

Even during the SEC title game, the commentators were talking about LSU and coach O. He told them you can't win in college football anymore running the ball and playing good defense. You have to be able to pass and score points.

LSU on offense and at QB has been especially bad for many years. Yet, they were still highly ranked and won many games. They make a change with the OC then found a top-flight QB and they are SEC champs and have a shot at a national title.

Will Wyoming learn from this? Probably not. The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wicks wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:46 am Just a little update. With the conf championship games in the book. Every single conference champion this season had an offense that averaged over 30 points per game.

Even during the SEC title game, the commentators were talking about LSU and coach O. He told them you can't win in college football anymore running the ball and playing good defense. You have to be able to pass and score points.

LSU on offense and at QB has been especially bad for many years. Yet, they were still highly ranked and won many games. They make a change with the OC then found a top-flight QB and they are SEC champs and have a shot at a national title.

Will Wyoming learn from this? Probably not. The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one.
We need to be like everyone else in college football and run a spread and bring in an innovative offensive mind because that’s the only possible way Wyoming can win games. Can Bohl. How about Dave Christensen? I heard he was great at Missouri and is an offensive guru. I bet he will take Wyoming to the CFP.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 am
Wicks wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:46 am Just a little update. With the conf championship games in the book. Every single conference champion this season had an offense that averaged over 30 points per game.

We need to be like everyone else in college football and run a spread and bring in an innovative offensive mind because that’s the only possible way Wyoming can win games. Can Bohl. How about Dave Christensen? I heard he was great at Missouri and is an offensive guru. I bet he will take Wyoming to the CFP.
Also, once we completely switch our football philosophy, we will then be able to out recruit and take the recruits from Ohio State, LSU and Boise State which have allowed those programs to be successful. What a great and simple solution!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

I heard there is an OC at Emporia State that is racking up the yards and the points. And get this: he does it with no tight ends.

Let's do that again.
Wicks
Blog Team

Oredigger and Lost Poke.

Both of you either can't read or refuse to read. I have not at any time suggested we run the spread. I'm simply saying we must find a way to score more points and pass the ball at a higher efficiency rate.

If you want to go against 20 plus years of MW history go ahead and do so. I myself would rather see an offense that doesn't rank in the 100's in points scored and total offense.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:21 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 am

Also, once we completely switch our football philosophy, we will then be able to out recruit and take the recruits from Ohio State, LSU and Boise State which have allowed those programs to be successful. What a great and simple solution!
Uh, I didn't see anyone advocating switching to the spread here. Only for an offense that can score and move the ball more efficiently. How many times have we gone 3 and out because we can't connect on a lot of pass plays? Our passing % was BELOW 50%. That is not good no matter how you slice it.