Are we really building for long term success?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

phxpoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:07 pm I will start off by saying that I am bullish on this program. A good program comes down to three things. You need recruiting, player development, and in game coaching decisions. I think that our recruiting will always be a struggle. We are always ranked in the bottom half of our conference every year with our recruits. I think our player development is actually very good. We take these kids and bring out the best in them. We all know our offense could be a lot better. However, our offensive and defensive lines and our overall defense has been amazing. Our in-game coaching decisions do leave something to be desired though. I am hoping they can get that ironed out. I am excited about this program, and I am glad we get to see them play one more time this year.

I pretty much agree with this, but I also look back and remember that if Bobo wasn't a complete moron, we would have probably lost to CSU this year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:05 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:00 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:32 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:24 pm I’d have my torch for the fire Vigen bandwagon if I felt like we had superior talent to the teams we’re losing to. I think we’re probably inferior at the majority of positions. I truly believe that our coaches are maximizing everyone’s talent. We need to start getting some of the WRs that CSU and Boise gets. I think we’d start passing more if we had a few along with more consistency out of the QB. It’s tough sledding to recruit somebody when they see the number of targets.
In your book, Vigen gets a pass for his poop play calling because the players he recruits to his offensive scheme don’t work and aren’t very talented?

Aren’t all these things related and interconnected!

And big picture, shouldn’t be held accountable for all of this?

I agree, his play calling and scheme is designed for a team with physical advantages at all positions, which we don't have. But if we agree on that, why do you defend him without question when he refuses to change anything to help the players close that skill gap.... the gap is not so great (like in the past) that we should be warm and fuzzy that we “aren’t getting blown out anymore”. With even an ounce of balls we could have beat Boise and USU but he’d rather play safe, vanilla and to not lose. Teams like BSU and USU coaches made adjustments and put theirs players in positions to win while Vigen was staying on brand.

Good enough isn’t a brand I am interested in.
In what world were we not in a position to win against BSU and USU?
We were very close... like I said....
Ah.....I misunderstood your comment to be that we were not in a position to win..my bad.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I think 7-5 is the max for this program until I see otherwise.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

If our receivers have so little talent, then the other teams trying to get them are terrible at talent evaluation as well. It's consistently been our most talented group, along with the QBs. Several of our receivers had P5 offers, so was everybody wrong about them all, or is it a development issue? Even Okwoli had offers from CU, Boise, Nevada, and Utah State, yet he still can't catch a cold in his last year here.

Jared Scott transferred out of frustration. The guy was a typical mismatch target a la Floyd, yet he was targeted like twice last season. At 6'6, he didn't need to get wide open - he just needed tall balls coming his way the way they utilized him in high school.

Also, does anybody know what happened to Jaxon Boley? He was one of our 2018 3 stars at TE.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

nashvillepoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 pm
phxpoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:07 pm I will start off by saying that I am bullish on this program. A good program comes down to three things. You need recruiting, player development, and in game coaching decisions. I think that our recruiting will always be a struggle. We are always ranked in the bottom half of our conference every year with our recruits. I think our player development is actually very good. We take these kids and bring out the best in them. We all know our offense could be a lot better. However, our offensive and defensive lines and our overall defense has been amazing. Our in-game coaching decisions do leave something to be desired though. I am hoping they can get that ironed out. I am excited about this program, and I am glad we get to see them play one more time this year.

I pretty much agree with this, but I also look back and remember that if Bobo wasn't a complete moron, we would have probably lost to CSU this year.
Exactly. csewe basically had the same conference record as us, except they lost to us. We had a better defense than csewe, and a better running game. They are about to fire their coach. Their talent level is at least as good as us. Maybe not as good on defense but a lot better on offense. I believe Bohl is a better coach than Bobo. That's the edge that gets us 6 or 7 wins. But we don't have the talent to go beyond that.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm If our receivers have so little talent, then the other teams trying to get them are terrible at talent evaluation as well. It's consistently been our most talented group, along with the QBs. Several of our receivers had P5 offers, so was everybody wrong about them all, or is it a development issue? Even Okwoli had offers from CU, Boise, Nevada, and Utah State, yet he still can't catch a cold in his last year here.

Jared Scott transferred out of frustration. The guy was a typical mismatch target a la Floyd, yet he was targeted like twice last season. At 6'6, he didn't need to get wide open - he just needed tall balls coming his way the way they utilized him in high school.

Also, does anybody know what happened to Jaxon Boley? He was one of our 2018 3 stars at TE.
Good greif this old hat....Recruiting rankings are for morons, what happens on the field matters. Just because you were good in high school does not mean you'll be good in college. If there is one position that innate talent trumps development it's WR...Maybe corner as well. Talent evaluation is really tough...it's even tough going from the college to the pros. I can't remember who does it but somebody does a re-draft after each classes rookie year in the nfl and it's shocking how far off some of these guys are ... good and bad. If the WR at wyoming had to go through a re-draft they aren't getting recruited.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm If our receivers have so little talent, then the other teams trying to get them are terrible at talent evaluation as well. It's consistently been our most talented group, along with the QBs. Several of our receivers had P5 offers, so was everybody wrong about them all, or is it a development issue? Even Okwoli had offers from CU, Boise, Nevada, and Utah State, yet he still can't catch a cold in his last year here.

We lost several good players out of frustration on the offensive side. Had some WRs leave last year when they outperformed other players but were kept low on the depth chart.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Conway was recruited to play BB. Rocket jr. was a jc guy. I can't believe Eberhardt was given many offers. Other teams have plenty of players who don't pan out. It's hardly an exact science. If we had a big, fast receiver like that kid at csewe, I guarantee he would be just as good for us. The problem is, a player of that caliber isn't coming to Wyoming to run block.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

HR_Poke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:38 pm

We lost several good players out of frustration on the offensive side. Had some WRs leave last year when they outperformed other players but were kept low on the depth chart.
When you run the ball 70% of the time, the receivers aren't going to stay. Jared Scott didnt exactly light it up at Praire View A&M either.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

A fun fact on building for the future - Bohl's road record with Wyoming:

2014 - 1 - 5
2015 - 0 - 6
2016 - 2 - 4 Plus a loss in the bowl game on a neutral site (2 - 4)
2017 - 2 - 3 Plus a win in the bowl game on a neutral site (3 - 3)
2018 - 3 - 3
2019 - 1 - 5

Not counting bowl games, Bohl is 9 - 26 on the road for a winning percentage of .257. His teams play better at home, but you are not going to have a shot at winning any kind of championship winning 1/4 of your road games. I don't endorse firing Bohl, but I also don't think he walks on water. So far, he's the Larry Shyatt of football.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:53 pm A fun fact on building for the future - Bohl's road record with Wyoming:

2014 - 1 - 5
2015 - 0 - 6
2018 - 3 - 3
2019 - 1 - 5

Not counting bowl games, Bohl is 9 - 26 on the road for a winning percentage of .257. His teams play better at home, but you are not going to have a shot at winning any kind of championship winning 1/4 of your road games. I don't endorse firing Bohl, but I also don't think he walks on water. So far, he's the Larry Shyatt of football.
And you see what happened when shyatt left.
W-Y, Until I Die!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

nashvillepoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 pm

Bobo's in game coaching decisions were his downfall.
brownngold
Buckaroo

Who was are 6th loss to this year, thought it was only 5
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:20 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:05 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:00 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:32 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:24 pm I’d have my torch for the fire Vigen bandwagon if I felt like we had superior talent to the teams we’re losing to. I think we’re probably inferior at the majority of positions. I truly believe that our coaches are maximizing everyone’s talent. We need to start getting some of the WRs that CSU and Boise gets. I think we’d start passing more if we had a few along with more consistency out of the QB. It’s tough sledding to recruit somebody when they see the number of targets.
In your book, Vigen gets a pass for his poop play calling because the players he recruits to his offensive scheme don’t work and aren’t very talented?

Aren’t all these things related and interconnected!

And big picture, shouldn’t be held accountable for all of this?

I agree, his play calling and scheme is designed for a team with physical advantages at all positions, which we don't have. But if we agree on that, why do you defend him without question when he refuses to change anything to help the players close that skill gap.... the gap is not so great (like in the past) that we should be warm and fuzzy that we “aren’t getting blown out anymore”. With even an ounce of balls we could have beat Boise and USU but he’d rather play safe, vanilla and to not lose. Teams like BSU and USU coaches made adjustments and put theirs players in positions to win while Vigen was staying on brand.

Good enough isn’t a brand I am interested in.
In what world were we not in a position to win against BSU and USU?
We were very close... like I said....
Ah.....I misunderstood your comment to be that we were not in a position to win..my bad.
No stress. We’re all on the same team here
Wyomingisgreat1
Buckaroo

nashvillepoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:48 pm

When you run the ball 70% of the time, the receivers aren't going to stay. Jared Scott didnt exactly light it up at Praire View A&M either.
How does Wisconsin get WR that can catch the ball? They run 70% of the time.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Wyomingisgreat1 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Because they are a national power known for being a great party school. Plus, they play on national TV a lot and when they do throw, they do it very well. Did I mention they play in front of about 80k fans?
Wyomingisgreat1
Buckaroo

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:51 pm
Wyomingisgreat1 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Because they are a national power known for being a great party school. Plus, they play on national TV a lot and when they do throw, they do it very well. Did I mention they play in front of about 80k fans?
Most of the time they get 3 star recruits at WR so they do a great job at developing WR. Wyoming problem is we can't develop WR at the current moment. You do not need 4 star or even 5 star recruits to develop WR. Wyoming at least needs a new WR coach.
Longtime Poke
Buckaroo

Very frustrating season as the Pokes are so very close. The stat of the day is UW is 5th in the nation for different starters (44 in total). Think about that....in years past we would have ended up 2-10 or worse. Absolutely the play calling has been questionable at times, but if you have ever called plays at any level it takes all 11 doing there jobs. It appears we have 1 or 2 guys not doing their jobs on O and that has been the difference (for example, the ball to Conway is catchable but instead deflected and intercepted). Frustrating indeed, but Bohl has this team on the right path. I have said this so many times and as old as it gets, I do believe next year can be the year. Go Pokes!!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:55 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:53 pm A fun fact on building for the future - Bohl's road record with Wyoming:

2014 - 1 - 5
2015 - 0 - 6
2018 - 3 - 3
2019 - 1 - 5

And you see what happened when shyatt left.
Remember what happened when stanard left?
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

To answer your question, yes. They are building for long-term success.

I think there was a graphic that showed that Wyoming had used 44 different starters - or had lost 44 different games to injury - AND THEY STILL FINISHED 7-5? And this included the starting quarterback for the last quarter?

Can anyone tell me which teams in the past could have finished with an above .500 record with that many injuries? That's depth. Did they lose games this year? Sure. But in the past, they lost games because the other team was bigger, faster and stronger. You can't say that anymore.

As for running up the middle - the problem isn't running up the middle. That's the bread-and-butter of this offense. If you can't stop it, the Pokes will crush you (as we've seen multiple times this year.) Plus, we've seen plenty of times where the other team has stopped it for a quarter or so, but one play and someone is off for the races.

The problem comes on days like today, when the other team stops the run up the middle - and there's nothing else. The problem is when the passing game doesn't come through, or when there's no run-pass option that can keep a defense honest. THAT'S THE PROBLEM. They need that second option to come through.

My big question is why they never run to the outside - either with the running back or with a sweep - just something else for the opposing defense to think about.