Are we really building for long term success?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

People say that but is it really a cover for we are going to be mediocre for years and we will cover it up as if it is a process? We aren't even competing for the division....we aren't even close.

While I am glad to have a winning record, this year has been more frustrating than some losing seasons. 6 losses due to piss poor coaching. What we have built is an average program and nothing else. Is there anything to look forward to?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm People say that but is it really a cover for we are going to be mediocre for years and we will cover it up as if it is a process? We aren't even competing for the division....we aren't even close.

While I am glad to have a winning record, this year has been more frustrating than some losing seasons. 6 losses due to piss poor coaching. What we have built is an average program and nothing else. Is there anything to look forward to?
“Aren’t even close”
- A moron
W-Y, Until I Die!
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

I think we are built or in the process of building for long term success. In prior years a key injury would tank the entire season. The players and the depth of talent have pretty much prevented this from happening this year. The losses this year were extremely frustrating, but were only frustrating because it felt like we were in the games with a realistic chance to win the games.

There were some head scratcher decisions made but they wouldn't have been head scratcher decisions if were weren't close.

I believe Vigen can call a great game with a lead but goes into panic mode when things dont go his way.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm People say that but is it really a cover for we are going to be mediocre for years and we will cover it up as if it is a process? We aren't even competing for the division....we aren't even close.

That is a great question... If long term success means having incremental growth and a direction as a program the I say yes. If long term success means having a dominant program than I'm not sure.

Another question... What do you mean by mediocre? By the standards of college football in general? By the standards of the last 20 years of Wyoming football? By the standards of the modern Wyoming program it was a better that mediocre... By the standards of college football in general it's probably better as well but not by much.

Finally.... Could you articulate the sentiment that you are more frustrated by this season than a losing season more clearly?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

nashvillepoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:54 pm I think we are built or in the process of building for long term success. In prior years a key injury would tank the entire season. The players and the depth of talent have pretty much prevented this from happening this year. The losses this year were extremely frustrating, but were only frustrating because it felt like we were in the games with a realistic chance to win the games.

There were some head scratcher decisions made but they wouldn't have been head scratcher decisions if were weren't close.

I believe Vigen can call a great game with a lead but goes into panic mode when things dont go his way.
A key injury did tank our season...
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:07 pm
nashvillepoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:54 pm I think we are built or in the process of building for long term success. In prior years a key injury would tank the entire season. The players and the depth of talent have pretty much prevented this from happening this year. The losses this year were extremely frustrating, but were only frustrating because it felt like we were in the games with a realistic chance to win the games.

We still had the ability to win every game that Chambers didnt play in. Before we were getting annihilated when we had a key injury. After 6 years it is evident how bare the cupboard was when DC was canned.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

nashvillepoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:15 pm

We still had the ability to win every game that Chambers didnt play in. Before we were getting annihilated when we had a key injury. After 6 years it is evident how bare the cupboard was when DC was canned.
The cupboard is just bare on a different side of the ball. CDCs teams scored at will but couldn’t stop a junior high girls school from scoring. Bohls teams are STOUT on D but struggle score enough to win against anyone with a pulse. Yeah I guess were better off now.
Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I think had they played William's over vanderwall then we would have been fine.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I’d have my torch for the fire Vigen bandwagon if I felt like we had superior talent to the teams we’re losing to. I think we’re probably inferior at the majority of positions. I truly believe that our coaches are maximizing everyone’s talent. We need to start getting some of the WRs that CSU and Boise gets. I think we’d start passing more if we had a few along with more consistency out of the QB. It’s tough sledding to recruit somebody when they see the number of targets.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:24 pm I’d have my torch for the fire Vigen bandwagon if I felt like we had superior talent to the teams we’re losing to. I think we’re probably inferior at the majority of positions. I truly believe that our coaches are maximizing everyone’s talent. We need to start getting some of the WRs that CSU and Boise gets. I think we’d start passing more if we had a few along with more consistency out of the QB. It’s tough sledding to recruit somebody when they see the number of targets.
In your book, Vigen gets a pass for his poop play calling because the players he recruits to his offensive scheme don’t work and aren’t very talented?

Aren’t all these things related and interconnected!

And big picture, shouldn’t be held accountable for all of this?

I agree, his play calling and scheme is designed for a team with physical advantages at all positions, which we don't have. But if we agree on that, why do you defend him without question when he refuses to change anything to help the players close that skill gap.... the gap is not so great (like in the past) that we should be warm and fuzzy that we “aren’t getting blown out anymore”. With even an ounce of balls we could have beat Boise and USU but he’d rather play safe, vanilla and to not lose. Teams like BSU and USU coaches made adjustments and put theirs players in positions to win while Vigen was staying on brand.

Good enough isn’t a brand I am interested in.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:24 pm I’d have my torch for the fire Vigen bandwagon if I felt like we had superior talent to the teams we’re losing to. I think we’re probably inferior at the majority of positions. I truly believe that our coaches are maximizing everyone’s talent. We need to start getting some of the WRs that CSU and Boise gets. I think we’d start passing more if we had a few along with more consistency out of the QB. It’s tough sledding to recruit somebody when they see the number of targets.
I agree with this. You never see our receivers running free down the field. I think Valladay is a good back, but really nothing special. Our Oline was dominated today. They looked really slow blocking the edge and they got no push on the running plays. Chambers masked a lot of our deficiencies with his ability to turn a scramble into a big play. No one respects our ability to throw, and ironically, if we break a run, it has the potential to go all the way because the safeties are in the box. I don't see this offense ever being a scoring juggernaut, so if long term success is 6 or 7 wins a year, then we have a good chance to keep that going.
However, If our defense slips even a little, then 4th in the division will be 5th or last. I'm not optimistic that we will challenge for a conference title, at least not with the team we have now.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:40 pm
I agree with this. You never see our receivers running free down the field. I think Valladay is a good back, but really nothing special. Our Oline was dominated today. They looked really slow blocking the edge and they got no push on the running plays. Chambers masked a lot of our deficiencies with his ability to turn a scramble into a big play. No one respects our ability to throw, and ironically, if we break a run, it has the potential to go all the way because the safeties are in the box. I don't see this offense ever being a scoring juggernaut, so if long term success is 6 or 7 wins a year, then we have a good chance to keep that going.
However, If our defense slips even a little, then 4th in the division will be 5th or last. I'm not optimistic that we will challenge for a conference title, at least not with the team we have now.
How do you get dominated by a line you outweigh by 60 to 70 pounds?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

It’s good to see someone else with an objective view. The bills got a few reliable targets for Josh and it’s paying off huge. We can’t just throw money and get a few more reliable WRs. We’re in a catch 22 honestly. I think if you were drinking with Vigen, he’d admit that he’d love to throw the ball a lot more. Frankly, if we want Sean to survive college, we have to. I agree that if the D steps back without an improvement in O, it’ll get ugly. I felt like cj Johnson was going to be our go to this year. A guy we could count on when we needed a catch with rocket being someone we could hit on some big plays. Even Conway showed some flashes of being a go to receiver but didn’t quite have the hands or separation to get it done.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

HR_Poke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:45 pm
The same way our tiny DL managed to stop the run all year long
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Yes. This program is in the beat shape it’s been since the late 90s. The pieces are there for sustained success. The players buy in. This program is going to do great things.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:54 pm
By stacking the box because you know 2/3s of the plays are a HB dive in the A gap
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:32 pm
In your book, Vigen gets a pass for his poop play calling because the players he recruits to his offensive scheme don’t work and aren’t very talented?

I agree, his play calling and scheme is designed for a team with physical advantages at all positions, which we don't have. But if we agree on that, why do you defend him without question when he refuses to change anything to help the players close that skill gap.... the gap is not so great (like in the past) that we should be warm and fuzzy that we “aren’t getting blown out anymore”. With even an ounce of balls we could have beat Boise and USU but he’d rather play safe, vanilla and to not lose. Teams like BSU and USU coaches made adjustments and put theirs players in positions to win while Vigen was staying on brand.

In what world were we not in a position to win against BSU and USU?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

HR_Poke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:54 pm
By stacking the box because you know 2/3s of the plays are a HB dive in the A gap
ask the other 10 teams that AFA beat.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:00 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:32 pm

In what world were we not in a position to win against BSU and USU?
We were very close... like I said....
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

I will start off by saying that I am bullish on this program. A good program comes down to three things. You need recruiting, player development, and in game coaching decisions. I think that our recruiting will always be a struggle. We are always ranked in the bottom half of our conference every year with our recruits. I think our player development is actually very good. We take these kids and bring out the best in them. We all know our offense could be a lot better. However, our offensive and defensive lines and our overall defense has been amazing. Our in-game coaching decisions do leave something to be desired though. I am hoping they can get that ironed out. I am excited about this program, and I am glad we get to see them play one more time this year.