Are we really building for long term success?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyomingisgreat1 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:41 pm
nashvillepoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:48 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:38 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm If our receivers have so little talent, then the other teams trying to get them are terrible at talent evaluation as well. It's consistently been our most talented group, along with the QBs. Several of our receivers had P5 offers, so was everybody wrong about them all, or is it a development issue? Even Okwoli had offers from CU, Boise, Nevada, and Utah State, yet he still can't catch a cold in his last year here.

Jared Scott transferred out of frustration. The guy was a typical mismatch target a la Floyd, yet he was targeted like twice last season. At 6'6, he didn't need to get wide open - he just needed tall balls coming his way the way they utilized him in high school.

Also, does anybody know what happened to Jaxon Boley? He was one of our 2018 3 stars at TE.
We lost several good players out of frustration on the offensive side. Had some WRs leave last year when they outperformed other players but were kept low on the depth chart.
When you run the ball 70% of the time, the receivers aren't going to stay. Jared Scott didnt exactly light it up at Praire View A&M either.
How does Wisconsin get WR that can catch the ball? They run 70% of the time.
Ha, they don't. With the exception of Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin's WR are very average for a team of their caliber. They have a history of developing decent guys but they usually don't have any studs and they don't care because RB is more important.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Short answer, without doubt, yes. The first step in building a program is establishing consistency. Taking that next step is the most challenging. Bohl will get there. We don't want to be UNM that ran Rocky off for too many 7 win seasons. I'm pretty certain Bohl knows offense output must improve.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 pm People say that but is it really a cover for we are going to be mediocre for years and we will cover it up as if it is a process? We aren't even competing for the division....we aren't even close.

While I am glad to have a winning record, this year has been more frustrating than some losing seasons. 6 losses due to piss poor coaching. What we have built is an average program and nothing else. Is there anything to look forward to?
It's just dumb to say we are not even close. By definition we were close. We had the ball late in each game we lost with a chance to win it. If we had an offense we'd be undefeated this year and in the top 10
brownngold
Buckaroo

Short answer yes. They are building this for long term success.

Honestly 2016 was a fluke because.of Allen. Unfortunately that set everybody's expectations to 10.

What about Stanard you say well it's easier to turn around a defense than to change an entire culture on offense.

It takes a little bit to build a run oriented offense. I might be wrong but we will find out in the next 2 years.

Yep it will be year 8 when we actually see the benefits of this.project.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

evilpoke wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:15 pm To answer your question, yes. They are building for long-term success.

I think there was a graphic that showed that Wyoming had used 44 different starters - or had lost 44 different games to injury - AND THEY STILL FINISHED 7-5? And this included the starting quarterback for the last quarter?

Can anyone tell me which teams in the past could have finished with an above .500 record with that many injuries? That's depth. Did they lose games this year? Sure. But in the past, they lost games because the other team was bigger, faster and stronger. You can't say that anymore.

As for running up the middle - the problem isn't running up the middle. That's the bread-and-butter of this offense. If you can't stop it, the Pokes will crush you (as we've seen multiple times this year.) Plus, we've seen plenty of times where the other team has stopped it for a quarter or so, but one play and someone is off for the races.

The problem comes on days like today, when the other team stops the run up the middle - and there's nothing else. The problem is when the passing game doesn't come through, or when there's no run-pass option that can keep a defense honest. THAT'S THE PROBLEM. They need that second option to come through.

My big question is why they never run to the outside - either with the running back or with a sweep - just something else for the opposing defense to think about.
Ultimately I believe that next year will be a "prove it" type season that will show where the program is really at. I think this year would have been that if not for an unprecedented level of injuries. Yes injuries happen every season but as evilpoke says we were hit harder than ever before and more than almost any winning team in the country. We have a favorable schedule next year and I will be pressing the panic button on Bohl if we lose 4 Mountain West games once again.

Bohl will earn himself a longer leash if he makes significant coaching changes on the offensive side this offseason. Whether that is taking away certain responsibilites from Vigen or canning him outright i'm not sure. But Bohl continuing to stick to the piss poor status quo should be factored into a serious evaluation of the program after next season.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Nah, its all BS. Let's fire him and start with like...Lincoln Riley's barista or some poop
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:55 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:53 pm A fun fact on building for the future - Bohl's road record with Wyoming:

2014 - 1 - 5
2015 - 0 - 6
2016 - 2 - 4 Plus a loss in the bowl game on a neutral site (2 - 4)
2017 - 2 - 3 Plus a win in the bowl game on a neutral site (3 - 3)
2018 - 3 - 3
2019 - 1 - 5

Not counting bowl games, Bohl is 9 - 26 on the road for a winning percentage of .257. His teams play better at home, but you are not going to have a shot at winning any kind of championship winning 1/4 of your road games. I don't endorse firing Bohl, but I also don't think he walks on water. So far, he's the Larry Shyatt of football.
And you see what happened when shyatt left.
So you're saying, "good enough for me"?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:55 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:53 pm A fun fact on building for the future - Bohl's road record with Wyoming:

2014 - 1 - 5
2015 - 0 - 6
2016 - 2 - 4 Plus a loss in the bowl game on a neutral site (2 - 4)
2017 - 2 - 3 Plus a win in the bowl game on a neutral site (3 - 3)
2018 - 3 - 3
2019 - 1 - 5

Not counting bowl games, Bohl is 9 - 26 on the road for a winning percentage of .257. His teams play better at home, but you are not going to have a shot at winning any kind of championship winning 1/4 of your road games. I don't endorse firing Bohl, but I also don't think he walks on water. So far, he's the Larry Shyatt of football.
And you see what happened when shyatt left.
Burman replaced a good coach with maybe the worst coaching staff in my lifetime.... What does that have to do with this situation? I sincerely hope you're not implying that Vigen is this teams Shyatt and if we poop can him we're suddenly going to plummet off this pedestal he has placed us on...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Win the MWC Mountain next year then we'll have our answer for sure, afterall Bohl will be starting his 7th year, wow haven't had a coach this long in many many years....